11 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks James, the 100 may be a while coming yet, though I do have an idea for sorting the turn-under.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Re. the class 100, I have these etches also. Some while ago I had a "conversation" with "Vitalspark" on here as to how he'd approached the project, and he sent mt a very helpful reply with pics. I've attempted to add you to the "conversation" - don't know if this will work! - which you may also find informative. sadly my etches are still untouched, as I was distracted elsewhere, although I have every intention of making them up.

John.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Re. the class 100, I have these etches also. Some while ago I had a "conversation" with "Vitalspark" on here as to how he'd approached the project, and he sent mt a very helpful reply with pics. I've attempted to add you to the "conversation" - don't know if this will work! - which you may also find informative. sadly my etches are still untouched, as I was distracted elsewhere, although I have every intention of making them up.

John.

Thanks for linking me John, I had a quick read through, very useful info. The Derby Lightweight donor is probably the best way forward, but I am planning on using the Hornby class 110 I already have, to keep costs down. I have a couple of spare Craftsman Class 104 roof domes which may be used for the front domes, which will leave the rear to be tackled, possibly by removing the headcode boxes from the 110 and filling that area. I plan on soldering up the sides and ends much as seen in your conversion though.

5 hours ago, ColinK said:

I didn’t know Bo’ness had a 126, if the Christmas Diesel Gala is on and its running, I’ll have to go.

I hope to get there one day too, unless the 126 comes south to another Diesel event in the meantime.

• Friendly/supportive 1

The 126 Trailer has now had the sides and ends bonded together, which is something which really needs to be done with everything in situ, otherwise the chassis and/or roof end up too short or too long to fit correctly.

Buffer heads have been fitted and the full length Replica footboards removed, apart from under the doors, where new plasticard ones have been bonded to them to match the height of other vehicles in the set. The prominent lifting jack supports have been added and now need some trimming to tidy them, which I finder easier to do in situ.

20200611_163334.jpg.e7fcdb6f63d071626b9479161e008f2d.jpg

The chassis will then get a blast with black paint.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Having reached the glazing stage, the spectre of hand cutting the glazing for the previous 5 vehicles has raised its head so there may be a short interlude whilst this is contemplated! 

Prompted by Martin (MJI) I have indulged in a little retail therapy and ordered a resin casting starter kit as I have several jobs in mind where it will come in handy.

I have also ordered a Hornby Class 153 motor bogie, with the idea of fitting it into the cab end of the Blue/grey 126 DMS, if I can swap the bogie frames and if it has enough traction to shift a 3 car set (otherwise my spare Lima 117 motor bogie will have to be retro fitted).

Further to the photo of the Class 17 with the Track Relaying Crane, which piqued my interest a few posts back, further research lead me back full circle to this thread, which helpfully includes numbering info for the single Scottish example, which I'm 99% sure must be the one in that same photo:

I had already found the outline drawings with dimensions on the Barrowmore site so this project will likely become a "go" in the near future (I ordered a set of Cambrian BR Plate bogies from Peters Spares, at the same time as the 153 motor bogie). The resin casting set may prove useful for this project too.

• Like 6

I'd have to dig back, but I know Model Rail had a feature a few years ago on a modeller who tackled a lot of the modern plant, including a tracklayer the same or similar to the one you're aiming for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

I'd have to dig back, but I know Model Rail had a feature a few years ago on a modeller who tackled a lot of the modern plant, including a tracklayer the same or similar to the one you're aiming for.

Thanks, I may well have it somewhere if you happen to find which issue it was, but please don't go to any trouble. I think detail photos of the prototype would be the greatest assistance in this case.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

The Hornby Class 153 motor bogie which is intended for the second 126 set, has arrived, along with a 153 chassis moulding which I plan to use the clip fit bogie mount from. For £30 for both items, brand new, this I feel is good value. The power unit appears the same as that found in the Hornby Class 101, obviously with a different cosmetic bogie frame and without traction tyres (as I suspected), but does have pickups. However in it's intended role in the 153, a DCC harness is fitted, which means that as supplied, there is no wiring from the pickups to the motor. 2 short wires later, soldered into place, and all is well. So I rigged up a traction test by sticking a Lima DMU dummy bogie under the other end of the 153 chassis and hooking up 2 Class 126 cars. By trying a couple of spare Hornby weights in different places, it seems capable of moving the set without too much effort, on level track. Now I just need to transplant it into the 126!

20200619_110224.jpg.5dc46851d734697a4ffb365451791a3f.jpg20200619_110259.jpg.c2c0713ada0d7bbc8fef82a1aba8b064.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Martyn,

Being ignorant about such modern items as a 153, is the bogie wheelbase 8ft 6in.? Would you know if 150's, 156's and 158's are also this?

Many thanks,

John.

They are.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Clive and Bernard for their answers.

I did notice the other day that Lendons of Cardiff have some good prices on Hornby Drive units of the modern type, being the replacements for the Lima power units on the models they've continued. The "modern" dmu's may not have been amongst them, but for example a class 59 power drive bogie was about £6.

John.

• Agree 1

Apropos five minutes ago, just had a look at the Lendons site. A class 156 power bogie is up at £5.98, but needs to be ordered as not yet in. I ordered a pair of 2 Bil power bogies at £9.98 each a few days ago on the same basis, plus some of the class 59's. Past experience suggests they do get stuff in that is on the site, but may take a little while, hope this is of use to someone - it looks as if someone is having a clearout somewhere in the supply chain.

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Martyn,

Being ignorant about such modern items as a 153, is the bogie wheelbase 8ft 6in.? Would you know if 150's, 156's and 158's are also this?

Many thanks,

John.

To add to Bernard and Clive's confirmation, the Hornby 153/101 power unit is 34mm w/b, so 8'6".

Edited by Signaller69
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Apropos five minutes ago, just had a look at the Lendons site. A class 156 power bogie is up at £5.98, but needs to be ordered as not yet in. I ordered a pair of 2 Bil power bogies at £9.98 each a few days ago on the same basis, plus some of the class 59's. Past experience suggests they do get stuff in that is on the site, but may take a little while, hope this is of use to someone - it looks as if someone is having a clearout somewhere in the supply chain.

John.

Blimey guv, at those prices I've been 'ad! :blush:

• Friendly/supportive 2

Motor bogie fitted, using the mounting off the 153 chassis. I cut away the 153 bogie sides and grafted a Lima 117 frame in its place. It runs very sweetly - I have not wired the Lima pick up bogie at the other end but may do so at some point. Having added weight to the chassis, it has sufficient weight to move the set but I will add a little more weight around the bogie to make doubly sure. It would be possible to substitute the plain wheelsets for tyred ones as fitted to the 101 though, provided the extra pickups on the trailing bogie were wired in.

20200619_175850.jpg.b4e4241cc2a17fd5084e9453bf0250ed.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Following a further period of disinclination towards modelling, I have decided to recycle another old baseboard, as the basis of a small, simple,  Glasgow area Stabling Point, c.1970/71. The board size is 5'4" x 1'. Main purpose is to have something I can test and run locos & DMUs etc at home, and use it as a "photo plank". Seen here during an enjoyable couple of hours "playing with stock and then track" to see what might work.20200628_190902.jpg.23fbc14a2535c70c47fe1bcea511d24a.jpg20200630_002721.jpg.d5422e1cdcf7186ac19df183081d299e.jpg

And following cork being laid, with the main ladder of points having been fitted, following holes being drilled for point operation and Frog feeds. For expediency, I have gone back to Peco Code 75 for this project.

20200702_141624.jpg.4f75179d2fec8b193098792e2cc3babd.jpg

Apart from the rear couple of tracks, I have tried to get away from the "all tracks parallel to the front of the layout look" by adding subtle curves where space permits. The rear (left) track will not be operational as such and is raised about 20mm, so that a rake of stock or DMUs can form a backdrop (my 6 car 126 is a perfect fit), possibly with a carriage shed wall or even just a skyline behind. A fueling area (mainly for DMUs) will be provided in the area where the class 29 is standing. Loco stabling will be in the open, primarily on the 2 tracks curving right at the far end, plus a siding at the front. A kickback siding may be added where the steel rule is, but the jury is out currently. Bridges will probably form scenic breaks at either end (yes, cliches I know!). Structures will be minimal, mainly a couple of small signing on type buildings and the fueling point, possibly a fuel tank if the kickback siding isn't added, to act as a further view blocker.

The idea is locos and 2 car units can be shuffled around as is, or with the addition of a 20" bolt on fiddle yard, they can arrive and depart offscene.

More soon hopefully.

Martyn.

• Like 13

50 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Following a further period of disinclination towards modelling, I have decided to recycle another old baseboard, as the basis of a small, simple,  Glasgow area Stabling Point, c.1970/71. The board size is 5'4" x 1'. Main purpose is to have something I can test and run locos & DMUs etc at home, and use it as a "photo plank". Seen here during an enjoyable couple of hours "playing with stock and then track" to see what might work.20200628_190902.jpg.23fbc14a2535c70c47fe1bcea511d24a.jpg20200630_002721.jpg.d5422e1cdcf7186ac19df183081d299e.jpg

And following cork being laid, with the main ladder of points having been fitted, following holes being drilled for point operation and Frog feeds. For expediency, I have gone back to Peco Code 75 for this project.

20200702_141624.jpg.4f75179d2fec8b193098792e2cc3babd.jpg

Apart from the rear couple of tracks, I have tried to get away from the "all tracks parallel to the front of the layout look" by adding subtle curves where space permits. The rear (left) track will not be operational as such and is raised about 20mm, so that a rake of stock or DMUs can form a backdrop (my 6 car 126 is a perfect fit), possibly with a carriage shed wall or even just a skyline behind. A fueling area (mainly for DMUs) will be provided in the area where the class 29 is standing. Loco stabling will be in the open, primarily on the 2 tracks curving right at the far end, plus a siding at the front. A kickback siding may be added where the steel rule is, but the jury is out currently. Bridges will probably form scenic breaks at either end (yes, cliches I know!). Structures will be minimal, mainly a couple of small signing on type buildings and the fueling point, possibly a fuel tank if the kickback siding isn't added, to act as a further view blocker.

The idea is locos and 2 car units can be shuffled around as is, or with the addition of a 20" bolt on fiddle yard, they can arrive and depart offscene.

More soon hopefully.

Martyn.

Nice idea Martyn, im tempted to do a plank myself or something as im desperately missing 'playing trains' on the layout at my Dads.

Hope to see more soon.

All the best

James

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/06/2020 at 16:48, John Tomlinson said:

John.

Just to complete the story, my order arrived yesterday in a nice box. I'd asked them to wait until everything was in so as not to ramp up the cost of the postage, so good service in my book.

John.

• Informative/Useful 1