3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

Just to complete the story, my order arrived yesterday in a nice box. I'd asked them to wait until everything was in so as not to ramp up the cost of the postage, so good service in my book.

John.

Just been having a look through their site. Would you know if the 2-Bil and class 395 power bogies are the same w/b as the 101/156 type by any chance?

5 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Looking good ! and before you know it  a large 00 layout of Motherwell and Mossend   appeared and nobody knew how....   Planks grow into sheds ! 

Robert 

****eyes up the loft, menacingly!:blind:****

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Nice idea Martyn, im tempted to do a plank myself or something as im desperately missing 'playing trains' on the layout at my Dads.

Hope to see more soon.

All the best

James

It was a similar issue I faced James, ie not being able to play with "Crinan" at the Club and just wanting to run (and/or test) some of my ScR stock.

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

*snip*

20200702_141624.jpg.4f75179d2fec8b193098792e2cc3babd.jpg

Apart from the rear couple of tracks, I have tried to get away from the "all tracks parallel to the front of the layout look" by adding subtle curves where space permits. The rear (left) track will not be operational as such and is raised about 20mm, so that a rake of stock or DMUs can form a backdrop (my 6 car 126 is a perfect fit), possibly with a carriage shed wall or even just a skyline behind. A fueling area (mainly for DMUs) will be provided in the area where the class 29 is standing. Loco stabling will be in the open, primarily on the 2 tracks curving right at the far end, plus a siding at the front. A kickback siding may be added where the steel rule is, but the jury is out currently. Bridges will probably form scenic breaks at either end (yes, cliches I know!). Structures will be minimal, mainly a couple of small signing on type buildings and the fueling point, possibly a fuel tank if the kickback siding isn't added, to act as a further view blocker.

The idea is locos and 2 car units can be shuffled around as is, or with the addition of a 20" bolt on fiddle yard, they can arrive and depart offscene.

More soon hopefully.

Martyn.

Martyn,

Did you try placing the main turnout ladder parallel to the front of the baseboard, and then fit the rest of the tracks afterwards? That will introduce quite a few curves - and compromises!

Just a thought ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

Did you try placing the main turnout ladder parallel to the front of the baseboard, and then fit the rest of the tracks afterwards? That will introduce quite a few curves - and compromises!

Just a thought ...

Hi Ian,

I think I tried every permutation possible and kept coming back to this arrangement, which was the only way I could make the headshunts either end long enough to hold a 2 car DMU to allow access to where the loco stabling is (if needed, in case I only want to run units), whilst keeping siding lengths as long as possible, and without resorting to shorter points (and thus sharper 'S" bends which DMU's look a bit daft negotiating imho; it didn't quite work as a stub fiddle stick would still be needed, and as a result the front siding headshunt is only long enough to allow an 08, small track machine or similar in or out without such a fiddle stick attached, but I can live with that). Width would become an issue if the ladder was "straighter" too. 

Introducing a gentle curve through the point ladder, by introducing a slight Y profile to a couple of straight handed points gives, I think, a nice flow. I wish Peco's long points had a gentler frog angle (istr all Peco points, short and long, have the same frog angle of 12°(?) for compatibility, but we are where we are - I couldn't be bothered building my own, or re-sleepering to match Bullhead rail as I did with Dunnington).

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Just been having a look through their site. Would you know if the 2-Bil and class 395 power bogies are the same w/b as the 101/156 type by any chance?

Just done some measuring.

The 2 Bil power bogie has a 35mm wheelbase, so 8ft 9in to us, which I think is correct for the prototype and for a good few other Southern emu's. I've no idea about the new fangled 395 thingies, sorry! They are advertising 156 bogies as due in, not yet received, I think for around £6 a pop, so as these are at the common 8ft 6in I shall probably get some for the cupboard!

I looked at the class 59 power bogies as well, which I see are still available at under £7. Obviously these have a 59 outer frame, but the wheels and mechanism are a dead match for Hornby's Railroad 31. I've always assumed these bogies were made as a direct substitute for Lima's one size 3 axle bogie, that went under the 37, 47, 60 etc.

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

The 2 Bil power bogie has a 35mm wheelbase, so 8ft 9in to us, which I think is correct for the prototype and for a good few other Southern emu's. I've no idea about the new fangled 395 thingies, sorry! They are advertising 156 bogies as due in, not yet received, I think for around £6 a pop, so as these are at the common 8ft 6in I shall probably get some for the cupboard!

I looked at the class 59 power bogies as well, which I see are still available at under £7. Obviously these have a 59 outer frame, but the wheels and mechanism are a dead match for Hornby's Railroad 31. I've always assumed these bogies were made as a direct substitute for Lima's one size 3 axle bogie, that went under the 37, 47, 60 etc.

John.

Hmm may pick one or two up to re power my lima powered blue Kestrel and Falcon.

Good spot

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

John.

Thanks John, useful info. I meant to ask, does the 2-Bil power bogie have traction tyres? As the 153 bogie does not. I think the 156 has them, as the 101 does too. I notice Lendons have the clip fit 121 bogie frame only in stock too.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks John, useful info. I meant to ask, does the 2-Bil power bogie have traction tyres? As the 153 bogie does not. I think the 156 has them, as the 101 does too. I notice Lendons have the clip fit 121 bogie frame only in stock too.

Cheers,

Martyn.

When I bought a few 2-Bil motor bogies, they didn't have traction tyres fitted. Those fitted to the units don't have them either. There is a lovely cast weight over the top of them. Pity Hornby didn't do the same with the Vep.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Cheers,

Martyn.

There are no traction tyres on the 2 Bil.

On the 59 there are 2 traction tyres, arranged 1 on each outer axle, on opposite sides, presumably to help pick ups.

I hadn't noticed the clip fit 121 frame, thanks!

John.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Rest of the track is now fixed in place. Basic wiring next so that I can actually run something! Section switches, point motors etc will be added later.

20200703_174204.jpg.5d546aaf44e252179c36b6f62786e3e3.jpg

Hi Martyn,

I like this photo, it has a hint of Tyseley about it especially with the DMU's on a raised embankment in the background.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Martyn,

I like this photo, it has a hint of Tyseley about it especially with the DMU's on a raised embankment in the background.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo, I suppose it could be anywhere really, depending on what stock is on there. I hope to add a few details which should shout Glasgow without any stock on the layout (eg Bus on a bridge or tenements on the backscene etc). Other ideas welcome......:mocking_mini:

This is just from memory, but here are some prototype figure to check your models against.

1st gen DMU have 8`6" bogies with 3` wheels (34mm and 12mm in oo gauge)

2nd gen DMU are metric, but near as makes no difference 8`6", but have smaller wheels (IIRC scales out at 11mm, Hornby use 12mm on the 153, not checked the 156).

mk1 EMUs have 8`9" motor bogies with 3`3" wheels (35mm and 13mm for scale) with 8`6" unpowered bogies with 3`6" wheels (34mm and 14mm).

The last BR emu not sure of, but i think they are the same as dmu, at least the non powered ones (if anyone works on the big trains is able to check with a tape measure, would be helpful).

Hope this helps.

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

This is just from memory, but here are some prototype figure to check your models against.

1st gen DMU have 8`6" bogies with 3` wheels (34mm and 12mm in oo gauge)

2nd gen DMU are metric, but near as makes no difference 8`6", but have smaller wheels (IIRC scales out at 11mm, Hornby use 12mm on the 153, not checked the 156).

mk1 EMUs have 8`9" motor bogies with 3`3" wheels (35mm and 13mm for scale) with 8`6" unpowered bogies with 3`6" wheels (34mm and 14mm).

The last BR emu not sure of, but i think they are the same as dmu, at least the non powered ones (if anyone works on the big trains is able to check with a tape measure, would be helpful).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Lendons also do a motor bogie for the Hornby Railroad Javelin, which looks rather different to the others in the range, it looks like the same motor as the basic Hornby 0-4-0s, perhaps designed for speed? They are very cheap, not sure of the wheelbase though.

Starting a new layout has re-ignited other projects. My "Triggers Broom" class 24/1 is currently in works. For those not familiar, this started life as a cheap secondhand purchase (surely not I hear you say) of a fairly nice Hornby/Craftsman 25 to 24 conversion. It ran poorly however, so a Model Power chassis was substituted into the Hornby Chassis, followed by making headcode boxes to fit the craftsman 24 roof domes, and finished as 5116. Later I modified a Bachmann class 25 body which went onto the same chassis, this time as 5115. But due to the over wide cab ends it never quite looked right so I have decided now to reinstate the Hornby body, but this time as 5127, which meant re-opening the boiler water filler cut-outs, fitting 4 slot boiler grille covers and repairing a damaged cab roof where the Craftsman dome had come away, and modifying the bufferbeams which had been altered for the Bachmann body, plus adding the characteristic sealed front gangway edging, so this is the progress so far:

20200705_135728.jpg.d81c1888405f881e6a8efade57ee0a0f.jpg

Twin Headlights and plated footstep covers to be re-instated next.

• Like 12

Slow progress on 5127, I have also made a start on wiring the layout.

I have been working from Brush Veterans superb photo of 5127:

5127 Inverness July 70 Slide 1276.jpg

from within our pages here:https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34123-highland-baby-sulzers/page/3/

The loco later had a sloping headcode box fitted at one end (1971?). I have some 3d cabside builders plates on order from Railtech; unusually on this loco, they are near the bottom of the cabside; every other from the Highland batch I have seen has them about half way down with the data panel underneath (as per the other loco in the photo). 

Progress so far:

20200713_091745.jpg.4654af2f48e97c87a16a18f104476f38.jpg

This has mainly been touching up paintwork (as it has already had a full repaint in its previous life) and applying the new identity. Headlights remain to be fitted once the loco has been varnished. I decided against adding etched body footstep covers; as can be seen they appear to have been filled in and painted a slightly lighter blue so I will try to replicate this. The obligatory ploughs should be black at this time in theory but have gained a light brake dust colour in service, again I am following suit. All weather headcode box protectors will be added from clear acetate and dirtied up too.

Edited by Signaller69
Add link & better photo.
  • Like 9

52 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Slow progress on 5127, I have also made a start on wiring the layout.

I have been working from Brush Veterans superb photo of 5127:

5127 Inverness July 70 Slide 1276.jpg

from within our pages here:https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34123-highland-baby-sulzers/page/3/

The loco later had a sloping headcode box fitted at one end (1971?). I have some 3d cabside builders plates on order from Railtech; unusually on this loco, they are near the bottom of the cabside; every other from the Highland batch I have seen has them about half way down with the data panel underneath (as per the other loco in the photo). 

Progress so far:

20200712_214413.jpg.90c372ed46af4214ba8e6865ddc6f81b.jpg

This has mainly been touching up paintwork (as it has already had a full repaint in its previous life) and applying the new identity. Headlights remain to be fitted once the loco has been varnished. I decided against adding etched body footstep covers; as can be seen they appear to have been filled in and painted a slightly lighter blue so I will try to replicate this. The obligatory ploughs should be black at this time in theory but have gained a light brake dust colour in service, again I am following suit. All weather headcode box protectors will be added from clear acetate and dirtied up too.

Martyn,

Nice work that. Very impressive. Looks like you also need to swap the left & right windscreen wipers to match the photo. Hopefully a simple little job.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

Nice work that. Very impressive. Looks like you also need to swap the left & right windscreen wipers to match the photo. Hopefully a simple little job.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, yes the wipers which remain (old Bachmann ones) will be swapped out for etched ones which I already have, this being fairly typical of the large number of odd jobs required on this loco. I am toying with adding the open bodyside access hatch too which seems a common feature on these locos, but only if I can find a decent side-on photo as I have no idea what lies within on the prototype.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Hi Ian,

*snip*

I am toying with adding the open bodyside access hatch too which seems a common feature on these locos, but only if I can find a decent side-on photo as I have no idea what lies within on the prototype.

Thanks,

Martyn.

Martyn,

Based on the side-on photo of D5185 at http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/lococlass25.htm there doesn't seem to be much to see behind the grills.

• Like 1

In the pic of the real 5127 above, I think the open door gives access to the Battery Isolation Switch, but perhaps someone on here with more recent Diesel Footplate experience than me can confirm !

Alasdair

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

Based on the side-on photo of D5185 at http://www.docbrown.info/docspics/ArchiveSteam/lococlass25.htm there doesn't seem to be much to see behind the grills.

Thanks for the link Ian, some nice photos there. It is the small hatch door on the lower bodyside, almost below the roof water filler (only on the one side, as seen open in the photo of 5127 above) which I am thinking of replicating, as these seem to regularly have been left open in many photos of 24/25s. As it happens I have had to put a new bulkhead in, to stop being able to see into the cab through the roof grille!

1 hour ago, AJCT said:

In the pic of the real 5127 above, I think the open door gives access to the Battery Isolation Switch, but perhaps someone on here with more recent Diesel Footplate experience than me can confirm !

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair, thanks, I had a feeling I had read somewhere that it was an isolation switch of some sort, I'm sure a photo will come to light at some point.

Martyn.