15 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

There was a CK in the carriage shed at work being painted the other day. I took in an empty liquid poly bottle and acquired some of the paint from the guy doing the painting. I will give it a try on a triang cut and shut TSO when I get a chance. 

Sounds like a plan, be interesting to see how it turns out.

Well I think the colour decision has been made....

20200827_213539.jpg.101af90bfca8a5bc498e187a29a6cdcd.jpg

Nose ends will need a touch up (masking evidently slipped on this corner, oh bu**er), and I will sort the grey bits of the roof later.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Martyn.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Well I think the colour decision has been made....

20200827_213539.jpg.101af90bfca8a5bc498e187a29a6cdcd.jpg

Nose ends will need a touch up (masking evidently slipped on this corner, oh bu**er), and I will sort the grey bits of the roof later.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Martyn.

Looking good Martyn, shame about the masking slip but easy to put right.

Had a bit of a double take at this pic thought it was O gauge for minute! I think the low angle and the gloss brings out the bulky look of the peak. Ill be doing the nose lift on mine at somepoint as it makes a world of difference.

Keep up the top work

James

• Thanks 1

It was all going so well....

I lined and numbered the Mk.1 CK, the nice straight lining was looking good, even if the coach was rather shiny.

Matt varnish time. Remembering a previous disaster, is the varnish compatible with the paint? Oh yes, indeedy. All acrylics, same make too. No issues there then, so off we go.

Varnish took perfectly on the paintwork.

But oh dear, did it react with the HMRS Pressfix lining, which seems to have rucked up every few mm, with still wet varnish then getting under the rucks and setting fast.....what a mess. The HMRS lettering was fine! Not sure if the reaction was due to the transfer film or the Pressfix adhesive.

No photographs are necessary.:blush:

I have now carefully scraped away the lining on one side (it almost came off in one long strip), and applied new lining. But it's not perfectly smooth due to the hard set varnish underneath, so I will apply some acrylic varnish by brush over it to seal this time, before spraying a top coat. If it looks poor then it's back to the paint stripping stage (or the bottom of a box in a dark place for a while) by the look of it. Really quite gutted.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us.

Think I might take up fishing! :dontknow::banghead:

• Friendly/supportive 8

24 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

It was all going so well....

... is the varnish compatible with the paint? Oh yes, indeedy. All acrylics, same make too. No issues there then, so off we go.

No photographs are necessary.:blush:

Ah well, these things are sent to try us.

Think I might take up fishing! :dontknow::banghead:

Hi Martyn,

I've started using Johnson's Klear, applying it by brush as it is far less trouble than varnish for the very same reason.

Don't take up fishing, its even worse than modelling GWR, another 10p in Clive Mortimore's swear box.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Things are looking better today. The CK has had the worst of the lining replaced and is now looking much better than it was. Just end transfers, flush glazing and water filler pipes to add.

20200831_122632.jpg.88d5294c1d322a8b3a742cd5c9a23a06.jpg

The Peak has had the grey roof added and the yellow ends corrected, all very glossy currently. Just odd bits to touch in by brush now, before adding transfers.

20200831_122840.jpg.2fbb32ac1b30135b672730209d11f62e.jpg

• Like 8

SEF Flushglazing has been added to the CK as I had some left from previous projects. The prism effect is not as noticable on this livery as with some and I feel it has turned out quite well. Internal handrails will be added in due course. The chassis and wheels have had a coat of dirt applied and the coach ends painted maroon, as applied in the mid/late 60s.

20200901_163228.jpg.4033f77934efadf4475cbe7c31b9ae22.jpg

Hoping to get transfers done on the Peak later (again).......

• Like 7

Class 46 now has had its second new identity applied, followed by a coat of Matt varnish.20200902_153428.jpg.c7980d9bb003c7e7bf54c0d0f6c7cda1.jpg

The air tanks still need removing from the chassis and flush glazing and handrails adding, weathering etc.

Both it and the Hornby 25 had their roof fans added.

20200902_154124.jpg.5db5fb63e7fd107a84f9c93aebab175e.jpg

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 16

17 minutes ago, LNERGE said:

It’s been a frustrating few days trying to find time to make progress so I could use the paint. This is my diagram 700 Kitchen Car. No idea if they were every painted maroon but this one is..

D3968D7A-1CC4-40EF-A88F-EFBD3BC8116C.jpeg

Nice build, are the sides cut & shut? At least you shouldn't have any doubts about the shade of maroon. 

I think this is the same diagram, if so they did carry maroon:

https://pjbrailwayphotos.piwigo.com/picture?/28122

I think it's a 701 as it has the extra quarter door alongside each normal door. Super picture though.

Looking at the picture i posted it looks awful. It doesnt look so bad when it's in front of me. I'll take another if the sun comes out.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, LNERGE said:

I think it's a 701 as it has the extra quarter door alongside each normal door. Super picture though.

Looking at the picture i posted it looks awful. It doesnt look so bad when it's in front of me. I'll take another if the sun comes out.

Photos do have a habit of showing up minor imperfections that the eye doesn't notice, particularly on glossy finishes; we are probably our own worse critics in that respect. Some of my stuff won't stand close scrutiny, I am the first to admit that, but from normal viewing distance when running on a layout I am happy enough.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Photos do have a habit of showing up minor imperfections that the eye doesn't notice, particularly on glossy finishes; we are probably our own worse critics in that respect. Some of my stuff won't stand close scrutiny, I am the first to admit that, but from normal viewing distance when running on a layout I am happy enough.

Hi Martyn,

Only some ?

You must be some sort of Jammy-Jamster should that be the case.

All of my stuff benefits poor photography skills and bad lighting to make it look good by quite some margin !!!!

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The Peak has had the surplus air tanks removed from under the battery boxes. Some more tidying in this area to do yet. There appears to be a steel (?) Weight inside the centre which would benefit from being removed if possible.

20200909_224722.jpg.e27468ad57d867531b5f5347e3d933e2.jpg

I tried the SEF flush glazing but it didn't come close to fitting, so I cut some from clear plastic sheet and secured using PVA, although the headcode box glazing still needs adding.

20200909_190554.jpg.58ef18eba5c25fb532f96e45dcadb6ad.jpg

Handrails still to be added too.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

I tried the SEF flush glazing but it didn't come close to fitting,

Martyn,

I don't recall having any such issues with my installation of SE Finecast windows to my old Airfix Class 45s. I think the hardest part was removing the original perspex moulding. Maybe the Mainline model is slighlty different (the weight on the Airfix model is not in the tanks between the bogie either).

Ian

• Agree 1

The picture on the previous page of D159 did show no air brake pipe on the buffer beam, so I'm sure you're right to have removed the air tank at centre. Do you know if the water tank for the boiler was still present, if so it's simple enough to knock one up in plasticard.

Another vote from me for the Saxton "Green to Blue" book, mine arrived today and after a quick browse went into quarantine for a few days. Looks to be an excellent reference.

John.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ISW said:

Martyn,

I don't recall having any such issues with my installation of SE Finecast windows to my old Airfix Class 45s. I think the hardest part was removing the original perspex moulding. Maybe the Mainline model is slighlty different (the weight on the Airfix model is not in the tanks between the bogie either).

Ian

Ian,

The original glazing inserts were both loose on my loco I'm glad to say! The SEF pack I purchased (SE14) is intended to fit the Mainline Class 45, which I was pretty sure would fit the EARLY Bachmann 46, as the model appears very similar in most respects. However, I have added new plasticard lower window frames to the cab front windows as part of raising the bonnet so it didn't altogether surprise me that they didn't fit. The cab side windows are as moulded though; the SEF pack contains both one piece (for later Bachmann versions perhaps) and 2 piece (earlier Mainline versions with moulded divider, and I thought this version of the Bachy 46) side windows. After some trial cutting and fiddling, trying to persuade the pieces into place I had no success and just gave up on them. I have no reason to doubt they would fit the intended recipient though. Most SEF packs I have used in the past have been at least a reasonable fit.

6 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The picture on the previous page of D159 did show no air brake pipe on the buffer beam, so I'm sure you're right to have removed the air tank at centre. Do you know if the water tank for the boiler was still present, if so it's simple enough to knock one up in plasticard.

John.

John,

I have no idea to be honest, not having access to my Carter plans book currently, I have been looking for a decent close-up and side-on photo of Vac-only class 46 undergubbins, but without success. On a couple of photos there appears to be something hanging down beyond the battery boxes so that could be the water tank you mention but I'm not sure.

Having cut away the plastic in that area I now find the metal weight appears to be a fixed part of the chassis, directly under the motor. So it will be staying where it is, either with plasticard overlays if a water tank photo turns up, or just painted black to disguise it. It is not particularly visible from more normal viewing angles, other than the current brightness catching the eye.

20200910_233233.jpg.83edb687fb291a1bd69edbd772217dfb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a very unproductive couple of weeks, more or less all I have to show are the windscreen wipers on the Peak! These were made up from the finest Microstrip I had to hand, assembled as a set plus a spare.

20200930_215055.jpg.5bd1fe1a2faa8a65af1c6ba2c1397003.jpg

After painting an Aluminium colour they were attached with a drop of super glue.

20201002_122220.jpg.4cdbf1fd936fb9e7351da814d7bbe974.jpg

Oh yes, cab handrails and lamp irons were added too, cut down from those intended for a class 24 (from a Brassmasters etch). The chassis has had a coat of weathering too. 

20201002_122313.jpg.47a04bd2d34b1cda3ce606c78223dfda.jpg20201002_122849.jpg.78cab4113da9365998400c2924a54c82.jpg

The battery box area looks better minus the air tanks. The whole loco now needs a little more dirt.

And I really must crack on with the layout, which recently has only had brick edging added along the raised track bed at the rear. Although I have stocked up on a few bits and pieces in readiness. Unfortunately as of 6pm last night my area is in local lockdown once again so no more "cross border model shop raids" for a while....

Edited by Signaller69
Add text.
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, jessy1692 said:

That peak looks excellent Martyn, i have a few that are probably due a repaint so will be copying the nose mods, top job.

All the best

James

Thanks James, I think if I was doing it again I would fill the cab front seam and score a new one, to make it a little less prominent, but I didn't feel confident enough that I could do this neatly or straight enough. I'm happy with the overall finished loco though.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks James, I think if I was doing it again I would fill the cab front seam and score a new one, to make it a little less prominent, but I didn't feel confident enough that I could do this neatly or straight enough. I'm happy with the overall finished loco though.

Cheers,

Martyn.

It looks pretty dam good to me, i think shawplan do an etch for peak lifting points/bearing plate ends, cant recall what they are technically but they could finish it off nicely. I dont recall seeing them on a model, have you come across them?

Im tempted but not sure if they would be usable on a 'working' model..

20201002_185618.jpg

Edited by jessy1692
  • Like 1