BRM August + FREE DVD!

SteveCole

• Administrators

Hi all,

Welcome to the August issue of BRMThis issue is available to download as a Digital Edition NOW and will go on-sale in shops on Thursday (July 21st). You can also purchase the magazine from our website now!

Remember, the cheapest way to enjoy BRM is to subscribe. Click here for a very special subscription offer: 3 ISSUES FOR JUST £3 THEN IT MOVES TO JUST £9.99 PER QUARTER BY DIRECT DEBIT. This offer is only available until 9am on Monday, July 18th though. BE QUICK!

Click here to see some preview articles from this month's magazine!

Below is a run-down of what you’ll find in this month’s magazine and FREE DVD!

The BRM Team

post-14186-0-24498500-1468593737.jpg

FREE DVD for every reader

Layout Focus: Horfield – A busy WR main line in OO

Faller Road System – make your road vehicles mobile

Join the club – the benefits of a model railway club membership

Here's what you'll find in this month’s magazine:

Britain’s Best Layouts

Earl’s Court (London 1950s/60s) - OO gauge.

Broom Junction (LMS 1930s) - EM gauge

Buildings for Penmaenpool (BR Western Region 1948-65)) – OO gauge

Cottingvale Harbour (2010s Heritage Line) - N Gauge

PRACTICAL BRM

How to... build an LNER ‘Klondike’

Make a Railbus Halt

Make a Catenary diorama

A wagon in every scale: gauge 1

GOODS INWARDS – PRODUCT NEWS/REVIEWS        

Bachmann Gresley V1/V3 2-6-2T

Graham Farish BR Standard 4MT 2-6-4T

DJM/Hattons Hunslet ‘Austerity’ 0-6-0ST

Plus loads more products news and reviews

PLUS

The Makers: White Rose Modelworks

Seduced by steam – we look at outdoor railways

Event Diary             

Tail Lamp

• RMweb Gold

That catenary article sounds interesting.

I wonder how long it will be before OHLE features in a magazine project layout somewhere.

Just for clarity, I'm aware that some people are less than keen on the stuff. I'm also aware that some RTP model OHLE manufacturers' "user guides" might not always be particularly user friendly.

I'm mentioning this because I can see OHLE increasingly becoming a part of real railways - it's already a key part of "light rail" - so it's likely to need to be addressed in due course, in at least one of the mainstream model railway magazines.

I'm not even saying that an "all new" project layout would be needed for this purpose. It might well be possible to adapt an existing project layout to reflect a scene similar to that at Altrincham, where "wired" mainline or LRT - and "unwired" lines exist alongside each other.

Every nice issue. Just a pity that American spelling of programme appears. Please BRM (and other magazines, for that matter), adjust your spell checker to English UK. Spelling errors do detract, especially from professional writers.

Every nice issue. Just a pity that American spelling of programme appears. Please BRM (and other magazines, for that matter), adjust your spell checker to English UK. Spelling errors do detract, especially from professional writers.

He's right though, it is a every nice issue

We've got a rogue picture in this month's mag with a ghost train in one image if anyone spots it. As with most paranormal activity there's a perfectly logical explanation though!

We've got a rogue picture in this month's mag with a ghost train in one image if anyone spots it. As with most paranormal activity there's a perfectly logical explanation though!

So who do you call?

I believe there's a remake film out that might be able to help you.

G.

• Administrators

Remember, if you can't wait until Thursday you can purchase the BRM Digital Edition now. Just click here.

This looks like another cracking issue. I have been tempted to subscribe on a few occasions. Definitely think I will get this issue as it will be perfect holiday reading.

If you're interested in subscribing, PM me and I'll let you know the best offers available.

• Administrators

Can I have my question answered please. I have received no response on here or on your facebook page.  With regards to the DVD, it is useless to those of us overseas. Can you look into making it region free ? 

I understand that it is region free. Have you tried playing it in a PC or a regular DVD player? And, what country are you enquiring from?

I understand that it is region free. Have you tried playing it in a PC or a regular DVD player? And, what country are you enquiring from?

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am from Canada, my computer does not have a drive. I will investigate further. 

Regards 

Scott 

Is Phil Parker's "A Wagon in Every Scale" article this month complete? Picture 12 - bending the roof - seems an odd ending. Looks like a nice model to make, though there is no way I could afford a loco to pull it in that scale, let alone having the space or time...

As we seem to have the grammar and spelling police interested, should that not read ".... and from which country are you enquiring?". :D

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am from Canada, my computer does not have a drive. I will investigate further. 

Regards 

Scott 

Tried it on a regular DVD player, display gave me the message error...............tried it on the MAC laptop and it worked, weird and a bit of a shame if that is the only way I can watch it. 

• Administrators

Is Phil Parker's "A Wagon in Every Scale" article this month complete? Picture 12 - bending the roof - seems an odd ending. Looks like a nice model to make, though there is no way I could afford a loco to pull it in that scale, let alone having the space or time...

Although we lost a couple of steps for space reasons (the solebars are treated with sanding sealer so they look like metal and some wood is notched around the corner posts) the piece was meant to end on the roof bending. After this, I glued it in place and painted the wagon - steps that have been covered already in the series. The challenge has been to try to say something different each time as wagon building often follows a familiar set of steps - and we don't want, "I built this using the usual methods"!

This was a pleasent project. As I say in the piece, there were tweaks I felt needed to be made, such as the T-section strip wrapping under the body and down the solebars - but working in the large scale IS different to the smaller ones. That will become even more obvious in the last installment for October.

Building in G1 doesn't need to be expensive either.

If you can accept an electric diesel, the try Mercian Models Ruston (http://www.modelrailways.tv/132-locos-page-1.html) which I've built a couple of times (http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Ruston) and comes in at the price of less than a couple of modest OO locos. Not a difficult build either, although you need a small gas torch to deal with the larger brass pieces.

If it must be steam, then try Barrett Engineering (http://www.barrettsteammodels.co.uk/starter.html) £600 for the electric or £1000 for live steam - bolt together kits. I'll admit I'd love to build the J65.

Timewise - the Toad probably didn't take much longer than the O gauge 16 ton mineral. Unless your pockets are deep and space is large, then you'll model something modest and need a lot less rolling stock. There are a few short cuts to be made too. Joining G1MRA is well worth the money as there is much more going on in the scale than you might expect.

Although we lost a couple of steps for space reasons (the solebars are treated with sanding sealer so they look like metal and some wood is notched around the corner posts) the piece was meant to end on the roof bending. After this, I glued it in place and painted the wagon - steps that have been covered already in the series. The challenge has been to try to say something different each time as wagon building often follows a familiar set of steps - and we don't want, "I built this using the usual methods"!

This was a pleasent project. As I say in the piece, there were tweaks I felt needed to be made, such as the T-section strip wrapping under the body and down the solebars - but working in the large scale IS different to the smaller ones. That will become even more obvious in the last installment for October.

Building in G1 doesn't need to be expensive either.

If you can accept an electric diesel, the try Mercian Models Ruston (http://www.modelrailways.tv/132-locos-page-1.html) which I've built a couple of times (http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Ruston) and comes in at the price of less than a couple of modest OO locos. Not a difficult build either, although you need a small gas torch to deal with the larger brass pieces.

If it must be steam, then try Barrett Engineering (http://www.barrettsteammodels.co.uk/starter.html) £600 for the electric or £1000 for live steam - bolt together kits. I'll admit I'd love to build the J65.

Timewise - the Toad probably didn't take much longer than the O gauge 16 ton mineral. Unless your pockets are deep and space is large, then you'll model something modest and need a lot less rolling stock. There are a few short cuts to be made too. Joining G1MRA is well worth the money as there is much more going on in the scale than you might expect.

Thanks Phil. You're right not to want to finish the article with an "in the usual way" line, I just thought it came to a very abrubt end as published. Thanks also for the links: I'm pleasantly surprised by the price of the Ruston kit - not outrageous at all, and your version looks very nice indeed. Live steam would be lovely, but I think needs a reasonably sized garden to do it justice.

I finally got my hands on a copy today. Very impressed once again and have thoroughly enjoyed the articles I have read so far. The garden railway feature was particularly enjoyable as I am making my first steps into this world at present.

Well you got me. With the better value subscriptions I've gone for it. I stopped buying it when you put the prices up must be three years ago now. But at £3ish an issue it's fair value even for a Yorkshire man. Looking forward to it landing on my doormat. Still prefer a printed magazine than the digital version. Tried the trial ones but it doesn't do it for me. 

Yes, £3ish an issue is very good, especially with the DVD.  I subscribed just before the offer expired last Monday but just after the cut off date for the August issue.  Looks like I'll be waiting another month for the September edition.

Archived