More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

I would open up the slots a bit first before blacking, something for the links to drop into without ending up wedged.
Just a thought.
And 'Happy New Year' to 'One & All'

post-6979-0-60647000-1514758865_thumb.jpg

The real display is 185 ft long.... 950 light bulbs - It also says Merry Christmas 2017.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Happy new year.

Super Ds  mm? LNWR

trustytrev. :)

I have a Bachmann G2 in 1950s BR livery (if that's the word), along with several RTR ex-Midland and LMS standard goods engines, mostly with one axle less though one with one axle more. There's discussion elsewhere (threads passim) on the popularity of BR steam. I'm too young to remember it, so it's not nostalgia in my case - I grew up with blue classes 20 (in pairs), 25, 37, 45, 47 - for which, unlike some, I'm unable to work up much nostalgia - and classes 86 and 87, for which I do pine. The last decade or so of Victoria's reign was the golden age of railways in this country but the 50s do look like a silver age, to the enthusiast - a railway worked to capacity; the Victorian machine honed, in its final hour, to a perfection of sorts. Terry Essery's Firing Days at Saltley has been a big influence on my modelling of this period, such as it is - along with the availability of RTR engines.

I have a Bachmann G2 in 1950s BR livery (if that's the word), along with several RTR ex-Midland and LMS standard goods engines, mostly with one axle less though one with one axle more. There's discussion elsewhere (threads passim) on the popularity of BR steam. I'm too young to remember it, so it's not nostalgia in my case - I grew up with blue classes 20 (in pairs), 25, 37, 45, 47 - for which, unlike some, I'm unable to work up much nostalgia - and classes 86 and 87, for which I do pine. The last decade or so of Victoria's reign was the golden age of railways in this country but the 50s do look like a silver age, to the enthusiast - a railway worked to capacity; the Victorian machine honed, in its final hour, to a perfection of sorts. Terry Essery's Firing Days at Saltley has been a big influence on my modelling of this period, such as it is - along with the availability of RTR engines.

As an early baby-boomer (I was for a few months an in-utero member of the WRNS!) I do remember the '50s and '60s and the demise of steam. Maybe that's why I model the Pre-Group era...

• Like 3

As an early baby-boomer (I was for a few months an in-utero member of the WRNS!) I do remember the '50s and '60s and the demise of steam. Maybe that's why I model the Pre-Group era...

Hmmmm!  I think that unless you are trying to recreate a memory from youth, one has a tendency to model what appeals at a given period in time? .... for me that is turn of the century Midland and the works of Johnson et al. Interestingly the location is one from boyhood .... so perhaps the nostalgia of youth is still present in some form?

• Like 4

David Geen produces a 4mm white metal kit of a GWR 3 plank wagon with round ends. I often have problems with white metal kits as I cannot seem to spring the wheels in and it like plastic or brass kits. Does anybody else produce the older GWR wagons with round ends ? I thought that somebody might be doing something like this with 3D printing.

Edited by brian777999

David Geen produces a 4mm white metal kit of a GWR 3 plank wagon with round ends. I often have problems with white metal kits as I cannot seem to spring the wheels in and it like plastic or brass kits. Does anybody else produce the older GWR wagons with round ends ? I thought that somebody might be doing something like this with 3D printing.

Id recommend taking Geens body casting and fitting etched underframes. Of what Ive experienced, his kits are nicely detailed and satisfyingly weighty. Also noone produces what he has.

• RMweb Premium

Id recommend taking Geens body casting and fitting etched underframes. Of what Ive experienced, his kits are nicely detailed and satisfyingly weighty. Also noone produces what he has.

I've built the square-ended version of the 3-plank open and also a couple of Geen's L&Y wagon kits, using the whitemetal axleguard/axlebox castings with brass pinpoint bearings inserted. My method has been simply to trap the wheelsets in the wagon during assembly: after a dry run to get all the corner joints cleaned and squared up, solder the axleguards to the sides, then one end to one side, keeping things square. Then either the other end to the same side or the other side to the same end, then with wheelsets in place, the final side/end. I've been surprised that it hasn't been more difficult to get everything square; I've managed to get axles parallel in both horizontal and vertical planes, at least well enough for 00 tolerances.

If building for EM or P4 I'd probably follow Spitfire's suggestion of etched axleguards, allowing for compensation or springing. One could use whitemetal spring/axlebox castings such as those from MJT/Dart Castings, but the type you need might not be available, in which case I think I'd resort to filing the axleguard away from the Geen casting. For the L&Y wagons, I thought I couldn't get etched axleguards with the distinctive curved keeper plate (But I was wrong - MJT 2299 now includes them) which is why I tried going with the castings in the kit; when that worked, I saw no need to try anything more sophisticated.

Another method that has been suggested but I've not tried, is to file a groove in the back of the axleguard casting to make it easier to slide the pinpoint axle in. I've not worked out how this is compatible with using brass pinpoint bearings, unless the groove is in the bottom of these too.

As a Generation X-er, I do remember blue diesels and corporate image British Rail.  Maybe that's why I model the pre-Grouping era!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Up York Mail featured a GWR Break Composite from Newcastle to Cardiff which ran on LNWR metals from Leeds.  Similarly, a LNWR Break Van from Newcastle to London on the same train. Some LNWR vehicles ran as far as Penzance.

Finally dug out my Midland 1903 summer timetable reprint. Newcastle was well-served by the Midland, with four through carriages (or portions) to and from Bristol. There's a photo that I can't track down in my books right now showing a train leaving Newcastle where the first three carriages are Bain round-light clerestories (i.e. after c. 1905/6). Looking through my North Eastern books, it is surprising how often there is a Midland carriage in the background of a shot of a North Eastern express passenger engine - either at York, Newcastle, or of course Edinburgh.

Cardiff doesn't feature and I have to give you Penzance too - the deepest into Great Western territory I can find for a through carriage working is Weston-super-Mare. In addition to the Birmingham/Leicester - Norfolk through carriages via the M&GN, I note through carriages Birmingham - Leicester - Ipswich and Manchester - Sheffield - Harwich (a service I associate more with the Great Central), evidencing a degree of co-operation with the Great Eastern which I don't think the LNWR could match?

I am surprised and puzzled by the listing of a Hereford - Aberystwyth through carriage. Hereford was of course on the Midland's route to Swansea (with Birmingham - Swansea through carriages twice daily). I suppose this carriage must have been worked via Three Cocks Junction and the Cambrian's Mid-Wales line to Moat Lane Junction. Well over half the mileage was on the Cambrian, which leads me to wonder whether it was one of that company's carriages that was used, rather than a Midland vehicle.

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

As a Generation X-er, I do remember blue diesels and corporate image British Rail.  Maybe that's why I model the pre-Grouping era!

As an early Millennial, I just about remember tubes of Aquafresh darting past the end of the garden, followed by Connex. Maybe that's why I model the pre-Grouping era!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

As an early Millennial, I just about remember tubes of Aquafresh darting past the end of the garden, followed by Connex. Maybe that's why I model the pre-Grouping era!

Looking up Baby-Boomer, Generation X, and Millennial I find they roughly equate to the post-nationalisation, corporate image, and sectorisation "eras", which gives me a bit more context! I find that, as a contemporary of XP64, I'm on the cusp of the Baby Boomers (you're Mk I) and Generation X (Mk II), though I'm afraid I simply think of myself as being more middle-aged than I really like and wondering how I got there...

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking up Baby-Boomer, Generation X, and Millennial I find they roughly equate to the post-nationalisation, corporate image, and sectorisation "eras"

I had to look it up to find which generation I fall into!! All I can say is I am glad I am not a stereotypical Millennial!!

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had to look it up to find which generation I fall into!! All I can say is I am glad I am not a stereotypical Millennial!!

Gary

Yes, from the picture I've built up of you, I don't see you as one of those sliding-door types with the beeping "push me" buttons!

• RMweb Gold

Yes, from the picture I've built up of you, I don't see you as one of those sliding-door types with the beeping "push me" buttons!

I can assure you I am not!

Well, if you have a house and a job, you're ahead of most of your generation!

I have both so I am doing well!! In fact I worked all through the "Great Recession" that apparently left most of my generation unemployed!!

Gary

• Like 2

Whereas, I can assure you that Generation X knows all about sliding doors and beeping push-me buttons ...

post-25673-0-91993900-1514892822_thumb.jpg

I am surprised and puzzled by the listing of a Hereford - Aberystwyth through carriage. Hereford was of course on the Midland's route to Swansea (with Birmingham - Swansea through carriages twice daily). I suppose this carriage must have been worked via Three Cocks Junction and the Cambrian's Mid-Wales line to Moat Lane Junction. Well over half the mileage was on the Cambrian, which leads me to wonder whether it was one of that company's carriages that was used, rather than a Midland vehicle.

As far as I can see – and I'm no expert on matters Cambrian – the Cambrian only had four bogie brake/compos (324-5 and 333-4) and these definitely worked on the London connections, probably turn and turn about with GWR and LNWR vehicles, so I suspect it would have been a Midland carriage that was used from Hereford to Aberystwyth. The MR seems to have missed few opportunities to push its tentacles into other peoples' territory!

Richard

Looking up Baby-Boomer, Generation X, and Millennial I find they roughly equate to the post-nationalisation, corporate image, and sectorisation "eras", which gives me a bit more context! I find that, as a contemporary of XP64, I'm on the cusp of the Baby Boomers (you're Mk I) and Generation X (Mk II), though I'm afraid I simply think of myself as being more middle-aged than I really like and wondering how I got there...

I guess that makes me 'Big-4'... though I endorse your last sentence. Just add a couple of decades...

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can see – and I'm no expert on matters Cambrian – the Cambrian only had four bogie brake/compos (324-5 and 333-4) and these definitely worked on the London connections, probably turn and turn about with GWR and LNWR vehicles, so I suspect it would have been a Midland carriage that was used from Hereford to Aberystwyth. The MR seems to have missed few opportunities to push its tentacles into other peoples' territory!

Richard

Ah yes, the Derby octopus!

Ah yes, the Derby octopus!

The accepted wisdom here in South Wales is that the Aberystwyth through carriages were Midland. I have however never seen any documentary evidence to back this up. The service only lasted for a year because it was faster ( and I suppose cheaper) to travel using the GWR route via Carmarthen.

• Like 2

I have just spoken to Tudor Watkins and he says the Hereford Aberystwyth service existed in 1893 and was still operating in around 1910. There is also a rumour that for one year (which I think was 1908) there was a Swansea to Aberystwyth service via Three Cocks and Moat Lane.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are you Billy, Mark, Tony or Bob?