Alternative motors to Bachmann

I require a motor to fit onto a Bachmann Jinty chassis. It needs to be smaller in diameter than the can motor Bachmann use but the same length and shaft size...

May I be rude and ask why? A useful feature of both the 3F and 57xx mechanism is that by carving away a couple of little 'bump stops' in the base of the plastic motor mount, the motor can be turned 90 degrees. This facilitates entry into significantly narrower body openings. I have had three so modified running for many years with no problems resulting.

May I be rude and ask why? A useful feature of both the 3F and 57xx mechanism is that by carving away a couple of little 'bump stops' in the base of the plastic motor mount, the motor can be turned 90 degrees. This facilitates entry into significantly narrower body openings. I have had three so modified running for many years with no problems resulting.

I;m making a J27 using an old scratch built body on a Jinty chassis. Truth be told - I didn't realise you could have done that!

Have been fitting Mashima 1424 and 1426 motors into Bachmann locos for a while the latest being a couple of 4Fs and a Jubilee. I am fortunate to have a lathe and can bore out the worms to 2mm and make a collar to fit the front motor boss for tight fit in the Bachmann mount. The 1424 motor is one of the best flat cans around with good low down torque so the performance for shunting and hauling heavy trains is excellent, Last week a 4F was circulating round on Wharfeside with 40 minerals at walking pace whilst the Jubilee was speeding through with 25 Bachmann Mk 1 coaches both with no motor heating at all. Okay the coaches are all now fitted with brass bearings so they are very free running to the point that the coach rakes sometimes move down the supposedly flat fiddleyard if not coupled to a loco..... (or maybe the draught from the open window!). The Jubilee is normally on the nine coach Waverley set.

I had thought about fitting larger motors but these performances say there is no need.

The minerals are next to get the brass bearing treatment as the replacement EM wheelset pinpoints are starting to wear the plastic axleboxes.

Dave Franks.

Archived