Lairg Signalling Questions

Hello All.

Does anyone have a signalling diagram for Lairg station on the Far North line? Ideally as it was in its last days before RETB took over? I've been looking at lots of pictures online, but I can't quite make out the signals in the distance at the South end.

Many thanks,

Rick

Hello All.

Does anyone have a signalling diagram for Lairg station on the Far North line? Ideally as it was in its last days before RETB took over? I've been looking at lots of pictures online, but I can't quite make out the signals in the distance at the South end.

Many thanks,

Rick

Here you go Rick.

kind regards,

Robert

post-17860-0-31137100-1468755077_thumb.jpg

post-17860-0-30334500-1468755078_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions about operations at Lairg.

I am not too familiar with the rules and operation of single line token stations, so please bear with me!  There are subsidiary signals provided at the up end of the station, numbers 8 and 15, which I think are for shunting and running round trains?  I realise the section signals are probably interlocked with the tokens, and only one train can be in section at once; so is number 8 provided to allow a shunt movement into the occupied section?  Similarly, is 15 provided to allow a movement into the occupied/permissive yard or the wrong direction line (up platform)?  There are no sub signals provided at the down end.  

In the era I'm interested in terminating fuel trains came from the Inverness direction. I'm guessing the fuel trains must have arrived in the up platform, after taking signal 15 run, and then round in the station before pulling out at the Inverness end again, finally propelling into the yard.  Would this have been signalled by the subsidiary signals and could it be done with the sections occupied?  In the picture below you can see the section signal and the subsidiary number 8.  The fuel tanks are on the up platform line, and judging from the shunters pole leaning against the buffer beam, it looks like the class 26 is being coupled on after running round. The disc on the floor is for movements out of the yard, and is a yellow one to allow free movement into the headshunt.  

11736645085_f29bdfd0c4_z.jpgLairg by MikeF 2013, on Flickr

In the second picture you can see the backs of the section signal and the subsidiary, also of note is that the home signal in the background has no distant on it, so I assune the signalling was simplified at some point.

4409692220_e0f8491dcc_z.jpg37183, 37114 cross at Lairg 12 Mar 1985 by Bob the Lomond, on Flickr

Thanks for any help or comment coming,

Rick

Archived