Dimensions or drawing Maunsell SR "River" Class wanted

We are trying to scratchbuild a "River" Class loco for 00-gauge using Onshape, a web based drawing tool:

http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php/topic,70066.msg3221674369.html#msg3221674369

We are using the Bachmann "N" Class body as a basis.

Unfortunately we don't have a drawing with the nessary dimensions, so there's a lot of guesswork going on.

Is there anyone who can help us?

Thanks in advance,

Leen.

@Daddyman,

I read the complete thread, very beautiful locomotives. But no extra information about the SR N Class or K Class.

We are searching for technical drawings with measurements. Who can help us?

Gr, Hans

From the small volume "The Rolling Rivers", which has a weight diagram inside the front cover, I can give the following dimensions

Buffer beam to pony truck axle 2' 0"

Pony wheel 3' 1" dia

Pony truck axle to leading coupled wheel 8' 10"

Coupled wheels 6' 0" dia

Leading coupled wheel to driven axle 7' 3"

Driven axle to trailing coupled wheel 7' 9"

Trailing coupled wheel to bogie Centreline 9' 0"

bogie wheels 3' 1" dia

Bogie centreline to rear buffer beam 4' 10 1/2"

Height from rail top to chimney top 12' 11 3/8"

LOA buffer surface to buffer surface 43' 6 1/4 "

Rather strangely, the bogie centreline to axle dimensions are not given, I suspect you'll have to determine them from photographs using the wheel diameters given above.

There should be at least a weight diagram with basic dimensions in Jim Russell's tome on Southern Locomotives.

@Poor old Bruce,

Can you be more specific? I am not so familiare with the Britisch Modelling scene.

Gr, Hans

(From the Netherlands)

Sorry about that, I had not spotted your location.

There is a book entitled 'A Pictorial History of Southern Locomotives' by J.H.Russell, published by the Oxford Publishing Company (though my copy is a Railway Book Club print of 1991 by which time OPC appears to have changed to the Haynes Publishing Group). I cannot find an ISBN number to give you (someone with an OPC copy may be able to help) but there is a number CN2974 which may mean something to somebody.

The book covers all locomotives inherited or built by the Southern Railway, giving photographs, weight diagrams and other details of all classes. it does mean that, of the 384 pages, only three are devoted to the Rivers.

Does this help?

I have a Roche drawing for the U 2-6-0 which was rebuilt from the K 2-6-4T.

Southernistas! Does that provide a reliable guide to the front end as far back as the cab - but minus side tanks -  of the K; with the usual caveats regarding Mr Roche's occasional deviations from accuracy?

I have the Roche "U" drawing as well, and it is supposed to be of the "Rebuilt River" variant. The dimensions quoted certainly are the right ones, but there's something about the splashers that doesn't look right.

In the meantime we received the "U" Class drawing - thanks to 34theletterbetweenB&D! - and the measuring can begin.

I have also ordered the Russell book, in order to get the most information possible.

Every now and then we will post about our progress in this topic.

For those who can't wait, it's all on our Dutch forum:

http://forum.beneluxspoor.net/index.php/topic,70066.0.html

Thanks again for being willing to help.

Leen.

Archived