Carflat from N Gauge Society

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Premium

Sod’s law postman had a recorded delivery parcel for me yesterday and we weren’t in......trip to collect the package today and I have my six Carflats and very nice they look too. Will put a picture up shortly and do a comparison with my scratchbuilt examples!

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

OK some pictures

gallery_681_2084_238362.jpeg

Standard NGS branded box, clear plastic inner has the brake hoses etc underneath. This is one of each type.

gallery_681_2084_97837.jpg

NGS Carflat bottom, one of my scratchbuilt ones top.

gallery_681_2084_5421.jpg

NGS Carflat bottom, one of my scratchbuilt ones top. Opposite sides to the previous photo.

gallery_681_2084_53155.jpg

One of each of the NGS models.

gallery_681_2084_28073.jpg

NGS model at the bottom.

gallery_681_2084_32401.jpg

NGS model to the left. Rubbing plates come fitted and the bogies have the close coupling system which I had to remove on the scratchbuilt ones as it put the deck to high.

gallery_681_2084_46769.jpg

....and remember a Carflat is for life not just Christmas! 6 NGS examples at the front and my 19 scratchbuilt ones behind them.

Excellent model, big thank you to everyone at the NGS involved in this. The magazine is worth the membership fee alone never mind some great models that we would never see otherwise.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m a bit late to the party with these car flats. The Motorail branded ones are sold out (both varieties - BR1 and B4 bogies) but I have been able to order the blue unbranded version.

Are there any suppliers of either the Motorail sign or suitable transfers which could be used to add the branding to the unbranded wagons? Sankey Scenics seem to do them in OO/4mm https://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/4mm-coach-dest-motorail/4593866145 . And there are Motorail transfer packs from Fox and Railtec, but these seem to be white lettering for application to blue GUV vans, or Black Motorail lettering for Executive livery coaches and GUVs, not the larger size with the red double arrow logo for the carflats.

With some lateral thinking are any of the 4mm coach transfers the correct size for the car flat sign? And what about the red BR logo?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

Are you looking to create placards for your plain blue wagons?

If so, have you considered producing them yourself by just printing them out onto stiff photo paper?

A representation of Kinnear and Calvert's Rail Alphabet can be downloaded here: 

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/british-railway-typefaces-fonts/

The BR double arrows symbol is also included, as are various other station symbols, so with a little bit of experimentation you should be able to produce a decent approximation in Word or a similar word processing programme, print it onto photo paper, a quick squirt with an artists varnish to protect against UV et voila!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A