Talgo

Pete 75C

OK, so I've just made one of those impulse ebay purchases... you know the kind of thing... low bid, didn't really expect to win the auction. I've bought myself a new Arnold HN4175 6-car Talgo set. It's in the "Triana" livery (below) which I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant about. Two questions if I may...

Can someone tell me what timeframe this would have been seen in this livery? Also, after a quick "Google", I'm pretty sure it ran to Barcelona but my Spanish is not up to translating entire websites. Can someone tell me the route(s) this would have travelled over?

The plan is to add the little 2-car extension pack and run it on the Caleta (Calella) layout. A huge amount of modeller's license no doubt being called for! I'm not sure if I can be bothered to add overhead wires to the layout so diesel haulage is likely. I'm also not sure what the "Triana" sets would have run behind. Again, "Googling" throws up a surprisingly varied motive power choice. Something in the taxi livery by MFTrain appeals, unless totally inappropriate. I'm sure everybody knows more about the protoype than me, so any advice more than welcome!

post-17811-0-24463100-1468773486.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2635/4163849607_2d6732e6ff.jpg

Never ridden on one or even seen one. They are rather low-slung aren't they? If I'm honest, that's what appeals to me in the model, especially when coupled behind a loco that's 50% taller. The whole consist just looks "unusual". I was in Alicante a couple of weeks ago, but no time for spotting, sadly!

A nice shot of what I am assuming is the current livery. Shows the height difference between loco and rolling stock which I think is such a nice feature when modelled, Always have been a sucker for the unusual.

post-17811-0-63115900-1468822294.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Another shot from Flickr showing the original vehicles which I've always thought looked like the American Airstream caravans. According to Flickr, the image dates from 2009. If that's correct, I'd have thought the original vehicles would have been long gone by then?

post-17811-0-00085700-1468822448.jpg

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license. Photo by eldelinux on Flickr.

• RMweb Gold

I don't recall seeing that Triana livery on the lines north of Barcelona. I think it may relate to a specific service elsewhere in Spain.

I can't put a date on the end of the original Talgo sets but I would not rule out them having lasted until 2009. When did that loco come into service? The old sets were a real throwback with a coffee machine in the buffet not unlike that in the Gresley buffet cars.

I can't put a date on the end of the original Talgo sets but I would not rule out them having lasted until 2009. When did that loco come into service?

1991 - 1996 according to Wikipedia. They look newer than that. I'm very tempted to think that the Flickr picture wasn't taken in 2009, but maybe that's the date of upload.

Edit: At Talgo's own website www.talgo.com which (usefully for me) is available in English, viewing the "History" section shows that the last Talgo II set was withdrawn from service in 2009. Well I never. Picture date could well be spot on.

Hi Pete.

The train was originally from Barcelona to Seville. Triana is a famous area of Seville so presumably it got it´s name from that although the train was extended to Cadiz shortly after inaugeration.

It used the high speed line from Seville to Madrid and various bits of the high speed line from Madrid - Zaragoza - Barcelona as and when they came into use. Gauge changers were used to get the stock onto conventional Iberian gauge lines south of Seville. It never worked north of BCN in the Triana livery but other similar Talgo stock did. One of those being a Murcia - Montpellier service.

The series 252s are Eurosprinters by Siemens and were introduced in the early 90s. There is a similar 56xx series Portuguese loco too.

The red and silver Talgo III sets were still in service on a Basque country to Barcelona service and IIRC a Madrid service too until 2009.

During the last couple of years a turistic service has been run with the remaining preserved Talgo III set between BCN and Tarragona. I haven´t heard if it is still running this year.

• RMweb Premium

Yes - don't ever travel all the way from Port Bou to Alicante on one if you're taller than 5'4" .......................... :no:

Can't recommend the sleeper version through Spain to Lisbon either, noisy, rough riding and thoroughly uncomfortable, dubious plumbing too.

Guest B Exam

Can't recommend the sleeper version through Spain to Lisbon either, noisy, rough riding and thoroughly uncomfortable, dubious plumbing too.

Maybe by the old route via Valencia de Alcantara, but now runs via Medina del Campo, Salamanca and the Beira Alta line. Most of it quite high speed well laid line.

The old route, a bottle of Rioja usually did the trick for a good nights sleep!

Does anyone know why they were built to such a small size?

Are the bodies really that small, or do they just sit much lower on the track than conventional stock? Judging from the photos, the bottom of the body is about level with the centre of the wheel on the adjacent loco, whereas normally, the bottom of the coach and loco sides would be about the same. 

One advantage of the lower body is that it removes the need for steps on the coach when using low platforms.

The bodies are shorter than conventional hauled stock and they sit lower, which adds to the effect. The image below is probably better than a description. Note from the corridor connection how the floor is just below the top of the wheel and not far above the axle. A fascinating piece of engineering, but I think the jury is still out on whether it works or not from a passenger point of view!

post-17811-0-05048900-1469018968.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have never travelled in the new style Talgo, but in the 1976-1991 period I did have an odd trip on the old red and silver type and at 5' 8" I never had any height problem. Our most recent long distance trips have been Barcelona-Alacant (notice the Valencian spelling) on the Euromed, which is not particularly fast, Barcelona-Madrid on the AVE (Alta Velocidad Española - Spanish High Speed) where 300 kph are reached (there are indicators in the coaches) and Barcelona-Lyon, allegedly AVE, but past Perpignan it's a normal runner. Also, there are no speed indicators in the coaches. On the return trip, as from Perpignan, it becomes an AVE again. By the way, AVE also signifies bird in Spanish. I imagine this name was chosen because these trains "fly".

• 2 weeks later...

I have ridden Cordoba to Granada in 2013 by Talgo, a windy route after leaving the standard gauge LAV at Antequera. We were in Preferente class, due to a booking mistake online (!) but wasn't very pricey. Lovely comfy seats, fantastic 4 course meal (airline style on a tray but most definitely not airline quality) with choice of wine and digestif included. No problem at all with the ride.

Have also ridden on the high speed Talgo which was very comfy too. I found all the Spanish high speed stock, and cross country stock, had very good sized seats, much better than a UK Pendolino, 158 or 170.

For reference I am 5'7"

Archived