Hi Peter,

Glad you like it.  I've been following your Llanbourne thread for years!  (mostly with great envy at your lightning rate of progress!)

Regards,

Roge.

Thanks Roge,

Not sure about lightning rate more slow plod. But I do try and do something at least once a week. A few hours here and there soon adds up.

Cheers Peter.

• 1 month later...

Hello again everyone,

I've finally managed to progress the backscene project.  As I mentioned previously, the scene was provided by I.D Backscenes.  Once I'd selected my preferred option from the series of trials kindly provided, the finished article turned up in the post the next day.  Excellent service and highly recommended.

Sticking the self-adhesive roll down onto my plywood sheets did prove to be something of a challenge.  The backscenes are oviously printed perfectly square and straight, but despite having the plywood cut at a local timber merchant, this wasn't quite as perfectly straight!  Unfortunately this has resulted in a couple of imperfections, but I've managed to rescue this to a degree with a bit of careful airbrushing. 

Reassembly of the layout has thankfully shown that the different sections across baseboard joins pretty much line up horizontally.  Much relief!!  A slight vertical gap really can't be avoided, but I can live with that for the overall benefit (in my opinion!) of having the back drop at all.  Ideally I'd have liked it to be a bit taller, but there was a compromise to be made with that side of the layout running in front of the window.  I still value having a bit of natural light coming in when possible!  I'm always impressed by those layouts where the backscene extends up to a lighting rig, making a true 'frame', but it wasn't really practical here.

Here's a few low-res phone camera shots to give you an idea:

post-7073-0-00393400-1506974836_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-86843600-1506974840_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-07208900-1506974844_thumb.jpg

On a different note, I don't think I've posted a pic of the control panel set up before?  A couple of shelf brackets from a pair of baseboard legs support a plywood shelf, which houses the NCE base unit and transformer.  There's also a switch which connects one side of the fuel road to either the main track bus or the programming track output from the NCE.  A further shelf, mounted on drawer runners holds the laptop, which controls the points and signals via JMRI, as discussed previously.  Finally, a homemade foam and plasticard throttle holder is provided, with the throttle plugging into a fascia panel on the layout front.  This sees less use these days as using your mobile phone with the 'engine driver' software installed gives a wireless controller!  We've had three of us operating the layout in this fashion before, which was very successful until my other half closed the door to the room with the router in and we all lost WIFI!

post-7073-0-31347300-1506975793_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, at least it's all back together now.  Maybe we'll get to run some trains soon...

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks for all your kind comments, 'likes', etc.

Next project might be to add a more industrial scene behind the arches which are on the opposite side of the layout (see earlier pics). I think I'll leave the short 'bridge the gap' section that links the two halves and is removable for access to the room. Making this more complex and heavier is a bit of an own goal!

Regards,

Roge.

• RMweb Gold

All I can say is how the hell have I missed this layout i've just read through the whole thread and it's an absolute corker and in that size as well it certainly gives me some ideas for the future.

Keep up the great work and I'll be following with great interest.

Cheers

Colin 

• 2 months later...

Evening everyone.

Usual lengthy break between posts!

Recent efforts have seen lighting fitted to some of the buildings.  I've been a bit dubious about this for a while, seeing it as possibly a bit of a gimmick.  However, when the colour light signals are working and the locos have lights, we seem to be half way down the road already.  Chuck in a friend bringing his East German stock for a run (featuring full working interior lights, passengers and tail lamps) and I'm sold.

Although the layout has an additional power bus already provided for this very eventuality, I decided to have a go at using the existing track bus for power of my lighting.  There's probably a long list of reasons not to do this, but so far it's worked ok.  This means the lights are on all the time.  However, I've chosen to use quite subtle lighting and as such it's barely noticeable until the room lights are off.

After a bit of experimenting, I made a batch of converter circuit boards.  These consist of a bridge rectifier, suitable resistor (20k seems about right) and screw terminals for the finer wire to the actual LEDs.  LEDs used are 'warm white' and come off a roll.

post-7073-0-26960500-1513028291_thumb.jpg

The Converter circuit.  The red and black wires clip straight onto the track power bus.  (I don't know why this picture is insisting on being uploaded on its side?!)

I've had a go at trying to capture the effect with my phone.  Mixed results at best, but then real life night photography is a bit tricky too!

post-7073-0-37972600-1513027799_thumb.jpg

Dusk at Guide Dog Bridge.  The yard pilot 09 has made it out onto the mainline, but only to get behind the GPL and set back into the yard.  

post-7073-0-32709800-1513027834_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-05429800-1513027846_thumb.jpg

In the shed yard, a 47 undergoes exam inside, while a classmate and 37408 tick over awaiting their next moves.  (I know, the 37 should only be displaying marker lights in the yard!)

post-7073-0-38871600-1513027883_thumb.jpg

The 47, 37 and 09 await their next moves.  I realise now that I'd forgotten to put the outside shed clutter back in place, so it looks a bit more sparse than it should.

One side affect that's come to light (poor quality joke alert) is that the yard flood lights do a good job of illuminating the back scene!  Not really sure what I can do about this.  Suppose you can't have it both ways.

Another job that now becomes more pressing is to add interior details to the buildings, particularly the signal box.  This wasn't high up on the list until the lighting made it so glaringly obvious! Then there's just the coaching stock to do...

Anyway, hopefully you get the general idea.

Roge

• Like 14

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice photo's Roge, I like the last one, you captured 37 262 in unlined grey perfectly.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  I know it wasn't a popular livery at the time, which maybe explains why you don't see it done too often on models.

The body was sprayed for me by Lee's Locos.  I added the cantrail (by lining pen), transfers and plates.  The noses had the high intensity headlights added (not working) and it was weathered using my usual techniques.  This is largely based round what I've picked up from Alex Carpenter in his articles for Rail Express Modeller.  

Cheers.

Roge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good evening everyone.

Nothing much to report on the layout front, as usual.  I have recently treated myself to a new airbrush, which I've been getting to grips with.  I can recommend the Iwata Neo TR1.  Wish I'd got one sooner.  

In other news, there's been a somewhat out of period arrival!  I'm usually reasonably disciplined about sticking to my chosen (admittedly broad!) time frame.  But occasionally a moment of weakness does creep in.  So here's the TPE 68 on a typical driver training light loco move.  In my view, the colours don't really reflect the prototype that well.  However, it's a lovely model in all other respects.  I've added the noticeable black panel lines, using a fine marker pen.  This was sealed in with gloss varnish.  A very light weathering was added, just to the underframe and roof.  I'll probably renumber and name it at some point too.  As usual, fitted with Legomanbiffo sound project.  I've gone for the twin dumbo speaker arrangement from Zimo.  

Worryingly, I've just had word that orders are being taken for the coaches.  This is going to be an expensive diversion!

Roge.

IMG_2290.JPG.dec5957120aa84486aa85fe79b728481.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

It's only been 3 months since the last update.  These are getting regular!

Not much has been done to the actual layout, just a bit of tidying up loose ends that have been bugging me for a while.

Previously I had made a slide-out shelf for the laptop.  In practice, it was a bit flimsy and kept getting bashed about.  Instead, I've fitted some sticky-back soft felt to the inside of the fiddle yard board and cut a hole for the laptop-NCE control cable.  I've also moved the toggle switch which sets the fuel road to either be part of the layout or the programming track.  This is now next to the NCE fascia panel, labelled up as I frequently forget which way round it should be.

The workbench is situated under the fiddle yard board.  I've fitted a miniature LED strip lighting kit to the underside of the baseboard and this has vastly improved lighting on the bench.  One of those jobs I wish I'd done sooner.  There are three strips, plugged together, all fed from the same transformer plug.  Everything needed was in the same kit.  

Hopefully these two photos will explain.Bench.JPG.084ab8184020b57fed3d066edcd73d9e.JPGControl.JPG.0955c131ae4adbaa6853b3460fbdb4e5.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Now time for some trains.

In another moment of EBay weakness, some Dapol NR box wagons were acquired.  Totally out of period, but they give the 68 something to pull until the Mk5a coaches arrive.  It's just like the real thing!68.JPG.e693f0562468ba16c97bd28d94793f65.JPG

Back to the 1990s.  Two ETH 47s on the depot.  Parcels 47474 has been fuelled and is waiting to depart to the yard.  Large logo 47535 has just arrived and is dropping the secondman off at the mess room.  47s.JPG.90b1600d25ac98bf7bdc96df34760092.JPG

• Like 14

Last ones for now.

Couldn't resist a 37 line up.

L-R: 37422 passes on the main line with a club train.  408 has arrived on the loco line from the yard.  262 and 906 wait either side of the fuel point.  Ruston 906 is again completely incorrect for this period.  It's shown in 'as preserved' condition, with ploughs and silver windscreeen frames at one end only.  About a decade ago, this loco was a regular on the diesel gala scene and brings back some good memories.  The model is the limited edition (Kernow, I think?), fitted with Biffo sounds and the usual fuel tank speaker.  It certainly gives a nice bit of variety to the standard 37s.37sA.JPG.889df3a6352c29a325bbd7b57937a73b.JPG37sB.JPG.3732c5675955c770fc7b4f6e00e3beba.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 7 months later...

Happy New Year to you all.

Not much to report as usual, but I have finally got round to renumbering/renaming my 68.  All-in-one pack supplied by Railtec Transfers.  This is the first time I've used the 3D nameplate transfers and I'm very impressed.  Also, special thanks to Steve at Railtec who provided me with some custom made replacement data panels after I managed to clumsily damage the originals when doing the renumber.  Excellent service and highly recommended.

IMG_2352.JPG.c7912193887c257b82225f82b60597a5.JPG

I've also been busy with my unit fleet, specifically the Bachmann 108 and the lovely Realtrack 156.  Pics to follow.

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 9