• 6 months later...

Evening folks.

To carry on from yesterday, here's a shot of the revised arrangements with the backscene on the opposite side of the layout.  The section behind the bridge has been rebuilt to match the height of the newer backscene rulling along that side.  Due to the angle of the bridge, this does lead to a sharp corner, but overall I think it improves the appearance.  As luck would have it, I had kept the remainder of the I.D. sheet from before, so this was used to extend the scene round the corner.  Less lucky was my first attempt, where I rushed in and made a total mess of applying it to the plywood sheet!  This explains why the two parts of the scene don't quite match up!  At least the hillside level is correct!

The bridge surface was also reworked using wet/dry paper and the sides reattached where they'd warped a bit.

IMG_2384.JPG.17bf90f0f6b5b47eff5ca20c08609098.JPG

That brings layout developments (such as they are!) up to date.  I'll try and post some more stock pics in due course.

Roge.

• Like 12

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Afternoon everyone.

I've been experimenting with a bit of filming for the first time.  This clip was taken with my DSLR, then edited slightly with the basic tool that comes with Windows 10.  I've noticed that it compresses the file dramatically.  The original was approx 170mb whilst the slightly trimmed version you see here (hopefully) is only about 10mb.

So the question is, does it work?  Is the quality acceptable?  Any experience people may have of this sort of thing, I'd be grateful if you'd comment.  

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

I hadn't noticed this layout before, it is really lovely and agree with the previous comments about how effective you have made it look in a relatively small space. As has been said before not cramming a station in really helps. Great effort.

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:34, 37114 said:

I hadn't noticed this layout before, it is really lovely and agree with the previous comments about how effective you have made it look in a relatively small space. As has been said before not cramming a station in really helps. Great effort.

Thanks for your kind words.  I saw Peafore Yard at an exhibition once I think and was really impressed.  Maybe I'll make my own track next time, it does make such a difference.  One day...

Cheers,

Roger.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Roge,

Nice clip on the video - a couple of thoughts for you, depending on the software they usually give you different formats to run video out in (MP4, Prores etc) if you can select H-264, which maintains the quality but reduces the file size.  The quality that you have got there works fine as far as I can see and is good, both audio and visual.

While I like to see clips, personally I think a 3-4 minute selection of clips edited together works better, but that is personal preference of course, and others may disagree.

Rich

Evening all.

A couple more videos for you.  I'm concluding that videos on DSLRs are very much an add-on feature!  There's a few limitations in terms of what it wants to focus on, etc.  It's also a juggling act to try and start filming, drive the trains and try and get them to go past about the right time and make the noises I want them to make.  Might have to take the wife on as an assistant!  Descriptions should be visible via YouTube.

Roge.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Roge,

Nice clip on the video - a couple of thoughts for you, depending on the software they usually give you different formats to run video out in (MP4, Prores etc) if you can select H-264, which maintains the quality but reduces the file size.  The quality that you have got there works fine as far as I can see and is good, both audio and visual.

While I like to see clips, personally I think a 3-4 minute selection of clips edited together works better, but that is personal preference of course, and others may disagree.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the tip.  So far I've just used the editor that comes with Windows 10.  You right click on the video file, open with 'photos' and then there's an option to edit.  I'm not aware that it offers any choice on what format to export.  I'll have another look.

I don't think I'll be heading too far down the filming road to be honest.  The camera isn't really suited to video clips, hence it struggling to focus on anything other than one specified point.  No depth of field.  I could go and buy a camcorder I suppose.  But it seems a lot of money for filming a few toy trains now and then!

Roge.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, birdbath said:

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the tip.  So far I've just used the editor that comes with Windows 10.  You right click on the video file, open with 'photos' and then there's an option to edit.  I'm not aware that it offers any choice on what format to export.  I'll have another look.

I don't think I'll be heading too far down the filming road to be honest.  The camera isn't really suited to video clips, hence it struggling to focus on anything other than one specified point.  No depth of field.  I could go and buy a camcorder I suppose.  But it seems a lot of money for filming a few toy trains now and then!

Roge.

Hi Roge,

Yes would agree with the last point.  If you can, try setting your camera into Manual Or Aperture (A) mode, and setting the f Stop as high as possible, usually around f22 ... that should help your depth of field.

Rich

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Roge,

Yes would agree with the last point.  If you can, try setting your camera into Manual Or Aperture (A) mode, and setting the f Stop as high as possible, usually around f22 ... that should help your depth of field.

Rich

Hi Rich,

That's the trouble.  As soon as you select the filming setting on the camera, none of the manual settings are available.  Messing around with it, if anything it seems to set itself to F5.6 and then vary the ISO depending on light.  Which of course is exactly the opposite of the aperture I'd like it to use!  I've tried setting it to F22 in normal camera mode, then going to movie mode, but it just reverts to 5.6.

Thanks for your advice, all the same.

Roge.

On 29/05/2019 at 11:21, birdbath said:

Now time for some trains.

In another moment of EBay weakness, some Dapol NR box wagons were acquired.  Totally out of period, but they give the 68 something to pull until the Mk5a coaches arrive.  It's just like the real thing!68.JPG.e693f0562468ba16c97bd28d94793f65.JPG

Back to the 1990s.  Two ETH 47s on the depot.  Parcels 47474 has been fuelled and is waiting to depart to the yard.  Large logo 47535 has just arrived and is dropping the secondman off at the mess room.  47s.JPG.90b1600d25ac98bf7bdc96df34760092.JPG

I love that the setting for the layout doesn’t really restrict you to a particular period. That 68 shot has a very ‘Heaton Lodge Junction’ feel to it. 

Excellent work, half wishing I could extend Long Ashton into an ‘around the room’ setup now but I’d definitely never get any work done... 

• RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2020 at 09:03, birdbath said:

Hi Rich,

That's the trouble.  As soon as you select the filming setting on the camera, none of the manual settings are available.  Messing around with it, if anything it seems to set itself to F5.6 and then vary the ISO depending on light.  Which of course is exactly the opposite of the aperture I'd like it to use!  I've tried setting it to F22 in normal camera mode, then going to movie mode, but it just reverts to 5.6.

Thanks for your advice, all the same.

Roge.

Hi Roge,

Thats odd.  Can I ask what make and model camera you have?  Having said that, despite the problems of trying to juggle a camera, recorder and DCC sound you've done well :)

Rich

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Roge,

Thats odd.  Can I ask what make and model camera you have?  Having said that, despite the problems of trying to juggle a camera, recorder and DCC sound you've done well :)

Rich

It's a Canon EOS 700D.  Probably about 5 or 6 years old now.  No doubt things have moved on a bit!

There were a few false starts on that clip where 3 train moves occur...

Can't take it too seriously!

Roge.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RPNaylor0301 said:

I love that the setting for the layout doesn’t really restrict you to a particular period. That 68 shot has a very ‘Heaton Lodge Junction’ feel to it. 

Excellent work, half wishing I could extend Long Ashton into an ‘around the room’ setup now but I’d definitely never get any work done... 

Thanks for your comments.  Yes, it's reasonably generic.  I guess colour light signalling and a standard design BR 'box mean it doesn't pin itself to a region as such.  Wasn't intentional!

I know what you mean about a roundy-roundy.  I like setting the trains going and then doing a few loco moves round the yard.  But I'd also love to be able to have a terminus where a bit more prototypical operation could take place.  It's always a compromise, unless you have a mill cellar and unlimited time and funds! (You did mention Heaton Lodge, of which we're all amazed by and just a little bit envious!)

Roge.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Roge,

Hope you get time to have a run with the layout over the festive period. I keep coming back to GBD every time I am looking for some inspiration - almost enough to bring a modeller back to OO!

Keep us updated with the progress. Happy Christmas.

Rich

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Roge,

Hope you get time to have a run with the layout over the festive period. I keep coming back to GBD every time I am looking for some inspiration - almost enough to bring a modeller back to OO!

Keep us updated with the progress. Happy Christmas.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your comments.  I'm glad my little trainset provides a bit of inspiration!  

There might be a slight chance for a running session over Christmas.  We'll see.  A friend is currently building a H0/H0m East German layout and I'm desperately trying to resist temptation to launch a GDB splitter group!  Those maroon hydraulics and dark green coaches are very appealing.

All the best for a reasonable Christmas and a much improved 2021.

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1