A few quick photos from my phone. Apologies if the quality isn't quite up there.

post-7073-0-00878200-1468999923_thumb.jpg

Activity on the fuel point.

post-7073-0-53518200-1468999927_thumb.jpg

Outside the servicing shed.

post-7073-0-89483400-1468999931_thumb.jpg

There's obviously plenty of overtime going at GDB, check out the XR3i!

post-7073-0-16876600-1468999941_thumb.jpg

Quick fuel and check over before another club train duty.

Edited by birdbath
  • Like 16

Right then, where had I got to?

With the trackwork all done, I had a go a few basic bits of scenery.  There isn't really a great deal of it!  The cutting sides are made using formers of 5mm foam board, with several layers of wallpaper paste soaked newspaper draped over them.  At board joins, two identical formers were fixed next to each other and the newspaper layed across.  When dry, I sliced through between the formers with a scalpel.  A coat of watered down PVA was applied to seal the newspaper.  Then several coats of earthy brown emulsion with a biot of plaster mixed in to give it some thickness and texture.

The greenery is a mix of static grass in numerous shades, bushes and small trees from the woodland scenics range.  I got a bit carried away with the static grass and also put a few weed patches in the depot yard.  I did have a bit of an experiment with trying to add some foliage and scatter material on top of the grass, but I'm not sure it's really worked.  A friend is building a 7mm scale swiss narrow gauge layout and has produced some stunning effects with this technique.  Maybe I'll have another look at it.

The road bridges that form the scenic breaks are from the Wills range, as is the run of arches that form the backdrop along the opposite side to the depot.  I've never been quite happy with the way the arches just end and run into a low cutting,  (See the Pic of the 26 passing the 47 in the headshunt) and I'm tempted to modify this bit with another over bridge so the arches are effectively framed at either end. 

The buildings are from the Scenecraft range.  I can understand why there's a bit of snobbery about using off the peg buildings.  Ideally I'd love to build my own.  Also I'd love to have built my own track in P4, converted all my stock, etc!  Maybe when I'm retired!  For now, they're a quick fix and for me, pretty effective.  To regain a little credibility, the fuel point is kit built from the Knightwing range!

One of the more recent activities has been starting to add details.  I've really enjoyed this part.  Speed restriction signs, point levers, point motors, cable troughing, location cabinets, depot clutter, couple of period vehicles, a few figures, etc have all been added.  I've tried to tone everything down with a bit of weathering.  Sometimes all this consists of is a coat of matt varnish and a wash of thinned matt black, but I think it helps things blend in.

That's enough for now.  I'll get round to describing the electrics and signals next time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To round off the description, here's a few lines on the electrics and control of the layout.

I'm a big convert to DCC.  Returning to the hobby, pretty much starting again, I didn't have a backlog of elderly locos to retro-fit with decoders.  I can see why this would put a lot of people off.

Wiring on Guide Dog Bridge follows standard practice of having a buzz bar or ring main running round the whole layout, with droppers connecting to the underside of the rails where required.  The ring is joined across boards with plug/socket chocolate block connectors.  The droppers are soldered direct to the underside of the rails at convenient locations, cutting away plastic sleepers as required. (This can be tidied up later)  The ring main end of the dropper is connected up using snap fit connectors as used in the motor trade.  These are really quick and simple, saving a lot of time crawling round underneath!

post-7073-0-68764700-1469999809_thumb.jpg

Ring main with auto parts connectors, chocolate block plug/sockets across a board join and a TT300 in the background.

As mentioned before, points are motorised using traintronics TT300s.  The beauty of these is that you don't need a separate power supply.  They are just wired into the ring main, just like a length of track.  The only thing to be careful of is to assign new addresses to the motors as you go along.  Otherwise they all respond to the same command to motor and then all change their address when you try and change that too!

The working colour light signals are by CR.  I must praise the excellent service received from them.  Despite ordering what were effectively custom made variants, my goodies arrived 3 days later!  I'm very pleased with them too.  A three aspect stop signal with position light sub controls entrance to the yard from each running line, while various GPLs control access out of the depot, etc.  Interface to the DCC system is via SignalList SC1 decoders, supplied via CR signals.  Again, I must praise the help I received from Paul Harman at SignalList in setting up the decoders.  I'd have still been messing about with it now!

An NCE Power Pro provides the main control, the handset being plugged into a fascia panel on the board frame in front of the depot.  The transformer and chocolate block connections to/from the layout are mounted on a shelf just below baseboard level.  One side of the fuel pad doubles as the programming track and a switch on the shelf connects this short section to either the rest of the layout or the programming track connections on the power cab, as required.

Although the NCE handset can be used to motor individual points and illuminate individual signal aspects, layout control is almost always done using JMRI software on an ancient laptop PC.  This is connected to the Power Pro by a serial cable.  After much head scratching and seeking advice from JMRI users both on here and on their own forum, I managed to set up the track diagram to work as an 'Entry-Exit' or 'NX' panel.  This is basically a form of route setting used in many power boxes around the country, though now being replaced by the ROCs with their computer and automated control.  For now, the signals have to be separately cleared and replaced to danger.  In time I have plans to add this to the NX operation, possibly using IRDOT units.  Once again, thanks are due to all the people I've consulted whilst trying to set this up.  It's very satisfying to call a route which requires about 6 points to change, watch them all motor across, clear the signal and watch your train snake across.

post-7073-0-15278900-1469999732_thumb.jpg

Screen Shot of the JMRI panel.

At a recent running session, we experimented using the WiThrottle app on mobile phones.  With all devices hooked up to the home wifi, we had a mix of two android phones, an iphone and the NCE handset driving trains round.  A couple of snags were experienced, such as my long suffering partner shutting the door to the room with the router, cutting everyone's wifi access (all trains stop!) and one operator being unfortunate enough to receive a phone call (his train stopped!)  Still, it shows what can be done. 

I also use JMRI's decoder pro software for easy programming of Locos.  Although it takes a long time to do a full read through of a Loksound decoder, you've then got all this info saved on the PC and changes can be made very easily.

Hope all this has been of some interest. 

• Like 4

I've been attempting to add a bit more detail to the over bridges which form the scenic breaks.  It had been bugging me that for some reason I'd not included any representation of the stone work where the spans sit on the abutments.  ​These were knocked up from some rectangular section plasticard and glued on.  It would have been much easier to do this when I built it in the first place!  Think it improves the appearance though.

post-7073-0-51850400-1470164405_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-73802100-1470164409_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-06446800-1470164414_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone.

Not much to report on the layout front, bar planting a few more trees and bushes and a bit more detailing.

I've been pondering adding a backscene, but can't really decide if it should go right round the layout or just along part of it.  More thought required.  In the meantime, here's a few shots where I've experimented with adding a backdrop on the PC.  It's a first attempt and I'm open to suggestions re colours, etc.

post-7073-0-46982700-1473886038_thumb.jpg

37046 passes the rear of the depot

post-7073-0-11294100-1473886044_thumb.jpg

Later in the day the same loco emerges from the exam shed, while class mate 37422 ticks over on the next road.  A 26 passes on the main line.

post-7073-0-77729400-1473886049_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, two 47s wait on the fuelling point.

post-7073-0-38698700-1473885702_thumb.jpg

And finally, a pair of 20s head to the seaside with the Reggie Rail set.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just read through from the beginning, really like what you've done, it's a great looking layout, with some lovely detail.

To help you make your mind up about backscenes, take a look at my Bakewell thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-layout-views/?p=2032643

I used a photographic backscene printed from photos I'd taken myself, but the same would apply with a commercially available one.

I reckon it makes a big difference to how well the layout looks in photos.

Al.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, your back scene does look very good. My only concern in doing something like that with mine is how it would look along the straight in front of the depot. The main lines are right up to the baseboard edge here and there's only only ballast and a bit of greenery between the track and falling over the side! (You can see the bit I'm on about in the initial set of pics, between the signal box and the over bridge.)

Any back scene along here would have to give the impression of distant scenery viewed as if you were looking over the top of an embankment, if that makes sense?

Roge.

Just read through from the beginning, really like what you've done, it's a great looking layout, with some lovely detail.

To help you make your mind up about backscenes, take a look at my Bakewell thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-layout-views/?p=2032643

I used a photographic backscene printed from photos I'd taken myself, but the same would apply with a commercially available one.

I reckon it makes a big difference to how well the layout looks in photos.

Al.

Edited by birdbath

Hi Roge

The photos with the edited sky look great - a lot to be said for keeping thing simple. I love the subtle weathering and greenery in amongst the tracks. I have a printed backscene on my layout and at some points the rear tracks are only 50mm from the edge of the board. To soften transition from baseboard to backscene, I built up a bit of an embankment and added some trees - A couple of photos here

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes, your back scene does look very good. My only concern in doing something like that with mine is how it would look along the straight in front of the depot. The main lines are right up to the baseboard edge here and there's only only ballast and a bit of greenery between the track and falling over the side! (You can see the bit I'm on about in the initial set of pics, between the signal box and the over bridge.)

Any back scene along here would have to give the impression of distant scenery viewed as if you were looking over the top of an embankment, if that makes sense?

Roge.

Hi Roge,

Yes, I see the section you mean.

As Simon and Sam have said, it doesn't have to be (or want to be) anything too distinct or detailed, just an impression of distant hillside and sky would do, or even just sky alone, although I do feel that doesn't always work in photos.

In reality, there's very few places in Britain where it's possible to take a photo of a railway line with just sky in the background down to the horizon, so it doesn't feel right, to me. Your photos above work where there's something in the foreground, like the cutting walls or the hillside, but the shot of the two 47s feels as though it's missing something, in my view.

I hasten to add it's a perfectly good photo, don't get me wrong, it's just a bit bare above the coaches.

Anyway, feel free to ignore me, whatever you decide will look good, I'm sure.

Al.

• Like 1

Hi Roge

The photos with the edited sky look great - a lot to be said for keeping thing simple. I love the subtle weathering and greenery in amongst the tracks. I have a printed backscene on my layout and at some points the rear tracks are only 50mm from the edge of the board. To soften transition from baseboard to backscene, I built up a bit of an embankment and added some trees - A couple of photos here

Cheers

Hi there.

Yes, that sounds a good plan.  I've even less space to play with, having just checked and found about 40mm from nearest rail to the edge.  But I'm thinking of thickening up the static grass and adding a lot more in the way of bushes and foliage along that edge to provide a better blend to a backscene.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Roge.

Your edited photos show that a plain sky backdrop would work well. IMO photo backscenes can be overwhelming unless carefully chosen and blended with the modelling.

I know what you mean.  I think whatever you do, it helps to have at least some scenery between the track and the backscene, as a few others have mentioned.  Obviously space is always at a premium, hence the track being right at the edge!  Such is the nature of train set compromise!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Evening everyone.

Apologies for the lack of updates over the last few months.  I'd love to be able to report on some exciting progress, but that'd be a big fat lie!

Actually, the layout has been covered in dust sheets almost constantly.  Work, young family, other activities, (insert 1001 other grown up things) have all contrived to relegate GDB to bottom of the list.  Not complaining, it's just how it is.

Anyhow, I did manage to run a few trains a couple of days ago and had the camera to hand to record my efforts at reliving the early 1990s.  When I've got a bit more time I'll get these edited and uploaded.  Interestingly, after a few months of inactivity, one of the TT300 point motors had packed up.  Initial investigation and dismantling showed no obvious issues.  Only when I hooked it up the programming track did I find that it had managed to re-address itself.  Hmmm. How on earth has that happened??  Happily after reprogramming to its intended address, we're back in business.  Don't try and tell me this DCC business doesn't contain an element of black magic!!

Roge.

Hello again.

As promised, here's a few more photos of the layout.

post-7073-0-98270500-1500230567_thumb.jpg

First up, Here's a pair of 47s.  Parcels 47474 on a ballast is passing Large Logo 47535 waiting in the shunt neck.

post-7073-0-65329500-1500230565_thumb.jpg

'535 has now moved down to the GPL, ready to be let into the yard and onto a train.  A Buxton 108 set passes going the other way.  The 108 is my most recent addition.  It's a 3 carr. set, which has been fitted with replacement internal lighting, passengers, corridor connections and Roco close couplers.  Usual underframe grime and a light wash of weathering to the bodywork and roof.

post-7073-0-02403200-1500230570_thumb.jpg

Finally for now, a portrait of 37422.  This is a partial re-livery of the Rails of Sheffield L/E run of 37427 in ScotRail livery, rather than the recent standard Bachmann release.  As per most of my locos, it's fitted with a Loksound V4 decoder with the excellent Legomanbiffo projects.  I've fitted a large speaker in the fuel tank, following examples from several RMwebbers.  This really makes a difference to sound quality.  The bogie side frames have been re-fitted a little closer to the body, replacement buffers (Hornby) and pipework have been added, along with a more discreet coupling loop for tension lock stock.  All my locos have had the lighting functions modified to provide independent control of head and tail lights, regardless of direction.  The Bachmann ones are dead easy, but the Hornby 31 certainly tried my patience!

Regarding the actual layout, I'm still waiting for an opportunity to fit a proper backscene to the section behind the depot (as discussed previously).  Unfortunately, the best way to do this involves dismantling that side of the layout as it's hard up against that side of the room.  It's all designed to come to bits, so that shouldn't be an issue.  It just takes time!

That's it for now.  I'll try and get some more photos uploaded soon and possibly give a bit more detail on rolling stock, if anyone's bothered!

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone.

The much delayed/pontificated over backscene project has actually started...

Unfortunately this has involved partial dismantling of the layout, but it would have to happen at some point.  Thankfully, care taken at the building stage has largely paid off and there's only been relatively minor damage to scenery as the separate boards were split.  The boards are aligned with metal dowels, so track re-alignment won't be an issue when it finally goes back together.

After much deliberation, I've compromised on a 10" height backscene, supplied by John at Art Printers in Telford (better known as I.D backscences)  Going direct to the supplier has allowed me to customize one of the off the shelf images.  John kindly e-mailed a selection of sample crops of a 15" high scene, allowing me to print out, stick on and further extend this already glacial rate of progress.  Thanks John, it certainly wasn't you holding things up!

The main reason for dismantling was to fix the board that the back scene will stick to.  This is simply some pre-cut sheets of 3mm birch ply, which are braced on the rear with 20mm square section soft wood.  The sheets are cut to the full depth of the main board frames (100mm) and are screwed in to the existing corner posts which strengthen the joints between the cross stretchers and main longitudinal planks.  I accept that this may bow and twist a little over time, but it's not really crucial.

Here's some low quality camera phone shots of how it looks.

post-7073-0-57774500-1503606775_thumb.jpg

Trial print out stuck on the plywood sheet.  I'm still thinking about how to marry the existing behind the bridge screen with the new backscene.

post-7073-0-60333700-1503606779_thumb.jpg

More detail of the trial shot.

post-7073-0-78361900-1503606783_thumb.jpg

post-7073-0-10763900-1503606787_thumb.jpg

Next board along.  This will have the backscene curving round the scenery on the left.  Trains sat in the display case, waiting for better days...

Hopefully next time I post it'll all be done!  Don't hold your breath though!

Roge.

• Like 6

Hi Roge,

Just found your layout thread, superb job really looks great.  Good luck with the backscene.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Glad you like it.  I've been following your Llanbourne thread for years!  (mostly with great envy at your lightning rate of progress!)

Regards,

Roge.

• Like 1