LMS Sleeping Cars

JeremyC

For a club layout I am considering making up the 1955 formation for one of the sleeping car trains that went over the Waverley Route. According to the marshalling book there were two sets used for this service, one using LMS sleeping cars and the other using LNER ones.

The LMS vehicles were a sleeper first and a sleeper third. Comet do a kit for a first [Kit M35 diagram 1926/2166], but no one seems to do a third. The only sleeper third I can find is Comet kit M6 - Diagram 1709 - Corridor Third convertible to sleeping car, but I suspect this is too early a vehicle for my period. Does anyone know a suitable kit for the third?

Jeremy

Good luck getting anything from Phoenix/SRG. Despite what it says on the website they have been unavailable for quite a few years and it doesn't seem like anything is going to change in the near future. 247 have discontinued the supply of coach kits and parts.

However as luck will have it, it's Comet M6 that you probably need.

Although built as a convertible day/night sleeper they were converted to a fixed sleeper pretty quickly. They lasted until 1955 - 1961, 17 were rebuilt into Buffet cars in 1955. Apparently they were never branded Sleeping Car.

The LMS only designed three types of Third Sleeper, D1709, D1863 and D2169 (not built until 1951). D1709 was by far the most numerous, 85 built as opposed to 15 D1863s and 25 D2169s.

All information from The LMS Coach 1923 - 1957  by Essery/Jenkinson

Jason

Archived