Hi all,

I thought it was about time I had a topic of my own as some elements are not catered for in this section.

To start off with here are some photos of the Modelu finials being fitted to a 7mm scale signalpost-6948-0-22013200-1469107215.jpgpost-6948-0-47101800-1469107245.jpg

Alan Buttler of Modelu has also done these finials in both 4mm scale and now 2mm scale, after suggesting that he do so for my current project.

This being 2mm scale square post bracket signals, with working lights and operation to be by servo motor controlled by a Megapoints servo controller.

You can of course imagine my relief at not having to make these myself!

Now square post signals in 2mm scale with working lights are tricky enough but bracket signals.... The problem being that the posts have to be made by using suitably shaped brass L sections. It would be so much easier if an etched brass version could be made available, perhaps it's something I should do, I don't know. Anyway the problem lies with the bracket post in putting the led wires in between the 2 halves then soldering them together and then soldering the post to the bracket. The parts are not exactly big.

I think I may have found the solution in securing the wires to one half of the subsiduary post with high temperature (350C) silicone glue, hopefully for long enough whilst I complete the soldering. Time will tell and I'll report back tomorrow as to whether or not it worked.

In the meantime here is a photo of the 2mm scale finials for round post GWR signals, the square post ones should be with me shortly.post-6948-0-76591100-1469107983.jpg

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 5

Hi,

Well the high temperature glue has sett and done its job. The LED wires are now well and truly sandwiched in the 2 halves of the subsiduary bracket posts (dolls). So I can move on to the next stage.

Hopefully a photo or two within the next few days. Waiting with anticipation for the finials to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

bracketfinial.jpg.81723d83dfc9442ef9f8041dc451ab56.jpgHi,

I am still adding the operating wires to the 2mm signals, so in the meantime here is a photo of a Modelu 4mm scale finial fitted to a GWR 4mm scale bracket signal here is the photo of the signal itself

I've not yet set the servos up. If/when I get time I'll do a video of the signal operating complete with the lamps lit up.

bracketfinial.jpg

GWR Bracket2.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Looking good Stephen.  You might be interested in some GWR signal lamps that I've scanned, I'll be producing them similar to the loco lamps with seperate lenses.   I'll also look at doing hollowed out ones for illumination. 

Hi,

Extremely interested in the hollowed out ones, The whitemetal 7mm ones aren't too difficult to drill out and there are lost wax brass castings versions as well. However for 4mm it can be very hard on the fingers! Forf 4mm scale the current offerings don't quite do it for me, the nearest ones to reality are IMHO the lamps from Alan Gibson, though not the current signal lamp but the older round one. Although designed for UQ easily adapted for GWR by removal of of the spigot and spacing block. They have the ventilator bit that is missing from the MSE one. By comparison the 7mm scale MSE one isn't too bad at all.

I've been a bit busy with 7mm scale trackwork of late, so a bit of a hiatus on signals except for some destined for a well-known 4mm scale GWR layout (see a nod to Brent thread in the layouts section) but now the next signal is a LSWR 2mm scale bracket followed by a 4mm one for Brent.

I'll try and do some photos of the 2mm GWR brackets later this week.

I'm nearly out of the 4mm tubular and 2mm square post finials already, so will be ordering some more fairly soon.

• Like 2

Hi,

the operating wires have been fitted to the 2mm GWR bracket signals for a little while now, just haven't had the time to set the servos up.

In the meantime I have some photos of a signal recently completed, which can also be seen on the 'a nod to Brent' thread, with full write up. However it is probably easier for you to read about how I did it here.

Construction Brass tube, MSE parts and Modelu finials.

This signal is based on the 1943 Branch home bracket signal replacement at Brent, which was was necessary because of the track alterations undertaken at that time.

The MSE bracket had to be altered to suit the prototype, not the first time I've needed to do that (.g. 1960s Bewdley contains both variants plus one or two mre not including the wooden post signals and gallows bracket starter), there were several variations on a theme with GWR tubular brackets. The standard MSE etch makes up into a bracket illustrated previously. This time the support post needed to go where the hole for the main doll is designed for and vice versa so, one hole in the etch need opening up and the other bushing down.

The bracket support arm is from a piece of brass milled T section (probably more expensive than gold). It is also fitted slightly differently to standard too.

Spectacle glasses are Canopy glue coloured with Tamiya acrylics X-27 and X-23.

Handrails - 0.33mm NS (Albion Alloys), operating wires ditto but chemically blackened

Post cap is brass rod turned to suit

The arms and weight bars are from the small detail etch that MSE do for steel arms (they do a similar one for the earlier wooden arm.

Reasons for this.

1) The spectacle plate for the 3ft arm is better

2) The weight bars on the standard GWR arm etches are over-scale and upside down, both errors are of course correctable given time and care. On the small etches they are right plus you get the a selection of small detail parts.

Anyway first photo is of the signal in primer awaiting arms and finials etc 

Arms and finials fitted

Finished

Robin has wasted no time in getting it planted on his layout, so you can see it en situ now as well though I think the ladder just needs a little straightening now it's in place.

• Like 5

Hi,

Just started work on next signal for Robin. Brent platform bracket signal Kingsbridge platform. Of course first thing to notice is that is not a standard square post bracket signal, if there ever was one. I don't just mean the height, which is of course reduced in height as a result of being platform mounted but also the bracket itself.

Photos soon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just started work on next signal for Robin. Brent platform bracket signal Kingsbridge platform. Of course first thing to notice is that is not a standard square post bracket signal, if there ever was one. I don't just mean the height, which is of course reduced in height as a result of being platform mounted but also the bracket itself.

Photos soon.

Interesting - looks quite normal for a single doll bracket to me. I must be missing something.

Hi,

Non-standard, if you consider the MSE etch to be standard. You'll notice in due course, when I do the photos, that the bracket is not as wide as the MSE one, easily sorted by taking off the outer span and removing the smaller cross braces, just leavng one set of cross braces and an open section, you'll be able to see more easily what I mean when I do some photos tomorrow. Oh and I have to alter the gantry planking to suit as well.

Signal itself should be complete if not tomorrow, at some point this weekend.

Hi,

The superstructure build is now complete, now for a clean up and paint. A couple of other points to note that I haven't mentioned already are that.

1) The bracing near the post differs from the MSE etch

2) No backblinders fitted.

All will be revealed tomorrow, when I've done some more photos.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The superstructure build is now complete, now for a clean up and paint. A couple of other points to note that I haven't mentioned already are that.

1) The bracing near the post differs from the MSE etch

2) No backblinders fitted.

All will be revealed tomorrow, when I've done some more photos.

The vertical bracing adjacent to the main post does not seem to have been consistent on this type of bracket - it might have been related to the loading on the bracket or possibly something which changed over the years.

There would be no back blinders on the arms as the signal faces the signalbox.  Usual Western practice was to only fit back blinders when the back of the signal was visible from the 'box but no doubt if the signal 'kit' arrived from Reading complete with back blinders the local gang would probably fit them (unless they happened to have another use for them).

Hi,

Yes I knew about the backblinders not being fitted if not visible from the box, not unique to GWR I think. As for the bracket frames, I suspect it very much depended on location number and size of arms plus the sighting required.

By the way the Modelu signal lamps should I understand be available from the middle of next week approx. He did mention something about Adlakes as well.....

Good Morning,brent1.jpg.5eeddce3e48117e1f8f8b195c827e374.jpgbrent3.jpg.beaf255407e5c22622951f269426c5fd.jpgbrent2.jpg.b03b2d61114262de714b2bba166fadb9.jpg

The first picture is of an MSE etch as it comes, compare with the prototype for amendments necessary as outlined above.

The remaining 3 photos are of the signal as at present moment of writing. Remaining to be done:

Arms - being painted at the moment

Lamps - waiting for the new Modelu lamps to be available in a few days time

Operating wires and cranks

Finish painting

brent3.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Must remember this thread when I come to needing signals for my Brent, and if my own attempts don't make the grade I will certainly be keeping you in mind looking at these!

If I might ask one question, I assume the working lamp is a white LED inside the lamp casting, how are you getting the wiring down to baseboard level unseen?)

Very inspiring work!

Must remember this thread when I come to needing signals for my Brent, and if my own attempts don't make the grade I will certainly be keeping you in mind looking at these!

If I might ask one question, I assume the working lamp is a white LED inside the lamp casting, how are you getting the wiring down to baseboard level unseen?)

Very inspiring work!

Hi,

In this instance Robin does not require working lights.

However for those cases where it is, then for tubular signals, wires go down the tube, for square posts, a slot is required in the posts filled in with filler after wires in place. I have toyed with the idea of doing some square post etches to save me some work but not got very far with it as yet. Lamps have to be hollowed out to take a warm white smd led.

• Like 1