• 4 weeks later...

Here are some LNER signals I've just finished in 4mm scale. The bracket signal is of ex-GER design and uses the etches from Mark Tatlow shown above. No working lights required on these and they will be operated by servos using GF Control boards.

attachicon.gifscrogginsger.jpg

I have something more modern to show you in a moment.

Hi Stephen,

Good to see my etches in use!

Here is my relatively similar equivalent - although this is a bit earlier so the M&H lower quadrant arms are retained.

post-7769-0-25881900-1502131931_thumb.jpg

And if anyone wishes to see the wider signalling stuff I have been doing, generally NER or HR signals then take this link - I have an update to do at some point as the last batch of signals are done!

• Like 2

I am in the process of completing a batch of NER and GNR signals at the moment. I have a copy of the OPC book on GNR signalling and the NERA book on NER signalling to help me.

One tip  is that whilst in general following Mick Nicholsons short treatise in the book on NER signals, I did find it possible to connect the operating wire to the signal arm once it was in place, however this is only possible if you leave off the finial until afterwards. That way you can rotate the arm a bit more and it all becomes relatively easy.

There will be some photos later this coming week. Signals will have working lights and be servo operated, servo control boards are by Uhlenbrock as they will be DCC controlled.

• 1 month later...

gwbracketnoroute.jpg.7567aaf6b3ec9ce2a8cc8e466bf6ca30.jpggwbracketwithroute.jpg.c5a0cd855cd71e345a3a7718c85321ea.jpgWell I still haven't got around to those photos but here are a couple of photos of GW stuff recently completed. The aforementioned signals will be appearing hopefully this coming week but I will be mainly busy on trackwork for a few days, now that I have a supply of Modelu 2 bolt slide rail chairs

The route indicator is non-working - customer spec but could be easily converted to work if he changes his mind. The middle control rod isn't normally bent but I must have had the bottom bit pressing on base when I took the photo. it returned to normal once removed from the clamp holding the signal in position for the photo.

Both signals are servo powered and I have fitted 10k resistors to obviate any tendency for the motors to twitch at switch-on, you'll still get the twitch at power on if the the servo control board hasn't been adjusted as the motor tries to centre itself

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well just a couple to keep you interested until later this week, when I'll be putting some photos of the slotted and somersaults on at last, if I can find the time.

All 4mm scale these:

First off is fairly standard LMR bracket signal - no working lights on this one (but sporting Modelu Adlakes) worked by servos and GF Controls Dual Control Board.

post-6948-0-27788200-1510591870.jpg

Second up is a Southern (ex LSWR bracket signal) many will be familiar with those at Bournemouth West in later days, well this is based on a 1938 photo (not a very good one so I've had to make some assumptions). At this time the arms were Lower Quadrant and the shunt arms were also Lower Quadrant ones rather than the more familiar Westinghouse discs. I had 2 to build (the other one is just the same) both operated by Servo motors as above, Illumination of the main arm lamps is by smd leds though in both cases the shunt arms have been requested to be non- working, though this could easily be altered at a later date if so wished.  I see I need to adjust one of the handrail stanchions - not a problem.

post-6948-0-51293100-1510591878.jpg

These were by and large no problem but for one which took 3 goes to get to work and I still don't know why, can only think a fault with the failed leds or my soldering of them.

Sorry no time for videos, must get on to the next project.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

It's been a while but I have been only functioning on a very limited basis since xmas due to a thumb problem (had an abcess on it) I won't go into all the gory details but whilst still not fully recovered I am starting to catch up on things.

In the meantime I have this for you. Probably one of the best reasons to join MERG by Fraser Smith

I have a few thoughts on GF Controls via Megapoints but this has to be the most realistic thing I've seen.

I really will have some photos to put on soon, probably next week.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

IMG_0988_1.JPG.3735b4aa70df0dcfbd530ad0db977804.JPGIMG_0990.JPG.8d7b5f7fe1d7caf9dbaa3c647b5c623f.JPGAfternoon,

Bit of an update here Ex LSWR co-acting signal

Some very early SECR

A mixture of NER sommersaults and GNR slotted (LNER period) signals almost ready to go post-6948-0-26093400-1532878552.jpgpost-6948-0-42546200-1532878577.jpg

The SECR signals were a little bit of a challenge. The starter needed a red and a green led in the lamp housing. The lettering on the other signals was done using self-adhesive vinyl sheet. These incidentally have two lamps and the colours are changed by the spectacles (modified HR). With the exception of the ex LSWR co-acting arm all signals are servo-controlled with working LEDs.

Taking a short break now and will be back with some GWR 7mm scale brackets and 2mm scale GWR signals soon.

jenner1.jpg

gnr1.jpg

gnr.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

At last, the final 2mm scale signals (for this year anyway) are now done. Wizard (MSE) arms and etched bits, brass tube, nickel silver wire, Modelu finials and lamps with control by servos and Megapoints control modules. I have made the signals removable from the baseboard and adjustable for baseboard thickness by the use of telescopic square tubing.

I have done the ladders for the upper bracket dolls but am thinking they may best be fitted after installation.

Anyway 2 photos with one overlap (think) and just noticed one Ground Signal missed the photo shoot (still basically the same as the rest).post-6948-0-11658700-1541952865.jpgpost-6948-0-31299800-1541952854_thumb.jpg

Sorry they are not all at 90 degrees but with so many it's difficult to pose them any straighter.

Now back to some trackwork until probably the New Year.

• Like 6

Thanks Jon,

I probably have more 2mm scale stuff to do soon but there will be a slight hiatus as I need to get some etching done for some of them and also for 4mm scale stuff (the large type of LSWR Bracket as at Seaton) plus some trackwork related items in 7mm scale, both etching and 3D printing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick advance notice - I am now waiting on PPD order to arrive sometime in about 1 to 2 weeks time, at which time if I have got it right, I should have some 4mm scale etches for that LSWR large bracket a la Seaton Junction etc (not the tall one though). The base post is already ready and waiting. There should be some other useful items on the etches when they come. More in due course.

• Like 1

Just a quick advance notice - I am now waiting on PPD order to arrive sometime in about 1 to 2 weeks time, at which time if I have got it right, I should have some 4mm scale etches for that LSWR large bracket a la Seaton Junction etc (not the tall one though). The base post is already ready and waiting. There should be some other useful items on the etches when they come. More in due course.

Ooh, may be looking at some 7mm versions of those...

JF

Goodies arrived from PPD, so now have etches for posts in 2mm scale and 4mm scale to go at as well as some of the said brackets.

I also had a trial etch done of cosmetic 7mm scale fishplates which turned out really well, so I'll be doing a more meaningful design of those fairly soon. At least I have enough to be going on with as they are currently unobtainable from C&L.

By the way there was also a sheet of lasered Blanks for 0MF 3 point gauges but that's another matter.

Goodies arrived from PPD, so now have etches for posts in 2mm scale and 4mm scale to go at as well as some of the said brackets.

I also had a trial etch done of cosmetic 7mm scale fishplates which turned out really well, so I'll be doing a more meaningful design of those fairly soon. At least I have enough to be going on with as they are currently unobtainable from C&L.

By the way there was also a sheet of lasered Blanks for 0MF 3 point gauges but that's another matter.

Don't think I got the brackets quite right in one area but still usable with slight modification and certainly have enough for my current needs.

• 1 month later...

2mmsc2.jpg.121a1669d1a97778e9ecc0496e8cefdd.jpg2mmsigsc1.jpg.db33edbeda462ab8a518d70e7b13cea5.jpgI have finally finished a 2mm scale signal, UQ ex GSWR style. It has illumination by fibre optic cable. Sorry the photos are a bit blurry but they are difficult to accurately focus on and still capture the lights. Finial is a Modelu GWR masquerading as the correct type, Modelu Adlake lamp body, 0.25mm fibre-optic, other parts from MSE.. Ladder now straight!

• Like 2

Hi,

I think I mentioned some time ago that I was organising some square posts in 4mm and 2mm scales to go with the already existing 7mm ones, well now I have.

With the help of PPD, they are all 2 part etches (2mm and 4mm ones are in 0.25mm brass as opposed to 0.5mm for the 7mm scale one) to allow for the method of lighting to be hidden from view.post-6948-0-49967300-1547899848_thumb.jpg

metalsmithsgwtt.jpg.0d1513315f900177c9a01565e649350e.jpgSomething different by way of a change - Midland Railway Centre 65ft exGW Turntable bridge in 4mm scale. Just got the well to cut using my Router and radius tramel (if that's the right description) and 3 layers of 6mm MDF sheet.

• Like 2