latest signal built - based on Exeter Central prototype (page 84 of Southern Signals). Scale is 7mm, working LED lights. I will try and take a photo later. Most of the bits are Wizard Models, the bracket is scratchbuilt as is main post. The Ground signals are also Wizard with working LEDs

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 7

Front and Back 4mm scale model of Barmouth signal. Operation capable but no working lights or servos - not required in this instance. Modelu lamps and finial. Post is etched brass to my design other main parts mostly Wizard Models.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 24/04/2020 at 11:23, Stephen Freeman said:

just realised that if you watch it on RMWEB you don't get to see the description that is on Youtube. So here it is below:

"The post is to my design and etched by PPD in brass. The holes are added afterwards as the post is designed to be built as a standard square post. The post is in 2 halves, soldered together. This facilitates the provision of the wiring for the LED working light. This is a warm white SMD 0603. The servo is a standard Towerpro 9g being driven by a MERG servo4g using SEMA4 firmware modified by myself. I Still have to modify the speed and bounce settings, which is easy enough to do in Chris Whites SEMASET program (by the way this runs on most windows PCs and is freely available to MERG members). Signal arm, spectacle and ladders are Wizard models products again in etched brass."

Don't know what happened to the Youtube but here it is

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking through my photos and videos and whilst I have shown photos of this signal I don't think I hav ever shown the operation. As I already had done a video I thought a quick Youtube video might be in order . Operation is by 9g servo powered by MERG servo4 running a modified SEMA4 firmware to give a simulated double pull and bounce on return.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just completed a batch of BR(E) 4mm scale signals, which included 3 Ground Signals of which I have made a Youtube video of one. Working light is an SMD LED 402 (that's just about the smallest you can get-real fun to attach the wires), motor is Towerpro 9g and control board is again the MERG servo4 board with modified firmware,

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Stephen,

I'm watching this (the 2mm GWR signals bit) with interest as I will have some to build in the not too distant future.

I've asked Mr Wizard if he is aware of any write up on using the rangee of bits he does in 2mm for GWR - nothing much he is aware of.

The MSE bits plus the Modelu bits seem to be a possible way forward, but I'll only know for sure once a trackplan is finalised.

Watching future developments with interest!

Thanks

Phil H

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some photos of signals under construction for a 4mm scale project, which is nearing completion, at least my part in it is. Based on Merstone on the Isle of Wight, they will be servo operated with working lights (when I connect them up). Parts are Wizard etches, castings, Modelu finials and bullhead rail plus some brass angle section for the brackets. I should add that there are a few more signals involved but they are all of a similar type.

merstonedistant.jpg

merstonehome.jpg

merstonestarterhome.jpg

merstoneground.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

A few photos of 4mm scale project currently in hand. The upload of the first failed for some reason. I will try again with that one.

2 of the bay starter, still to finish the platform and set up the servo(s), I will try and do a video tomorrow. The third photo is of some colour light signal heads, currently waiting for some leds to arrive. The bottom halves are modified Train-Tech ( I wasn't quite happy with shape) the upper parts are scratch built from Nickel Silver sheet and brass tube as I wasn't happy with the plastics one available.

bradheads.jpg

• Like 7

Here is the photo that failed first time. The cash register does work but in 4mm scale I am uncertain that the connection between the stop arm and the display can be made to work reliably in a protypical manner due to the lack of mass needed to return the arm to danger. So am using 3 servos, one for each of the displays and one for the arm.

As mentioned I will try and find time to do a video tomorrow after I have set the servos up and connected the lights.

baystarter2photo.jpg

baystarter3a.jpg

baystarter1photo.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Here is the photo that failed first time. The cash register does work but in 4mm scale I am uncertain that the connection between the stop arm and the display can be made to work reliably in a protypical manner due to the lack of mass needed to return the arm to danger. So am using 3 servos, one for each of the displays and one for the arm.

As mentioned I will try and find time to do a video tomorrow after I have set the servos up and connected the lights.

baystarter1photo.jpg

Excellent! I think that's the first working cash register in 4mm scale that I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

Well, a long time wasn't it. In short, despite having had both jabs we still caught it in October, I have just about recovered now but am still trying to catch up. I will be doing a video of the Bradenham (fictitious station) bay starter with route indicator but in the meantime here is a somewhat shaky handheld video of another 4mm signal.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2