38 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Oil-lit signals may still have cables attached, for a pyrometer to prove the lamp is alight and/or for a contactor box to detect arm position, the wires for which have to run back to an indicator in the signal box, probably via a relay in a location cabinet. 

These wires usually run down the post, but they could alternatively run overhead directly to a nearby telegraph pole.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/175915-midland-railway-back-blinder/#comment-5012275

The signal post itself may be cable-stayed, so that could be another way of running your circuit.

However most people don't want to see the wires.

• Friendly/supportive 3

somersaultbracket.jpg.3918850dca730380513134556b239762.jpgA few minor tweaks and its done

On 22/11/2023 at 16:43, Stephen Freeman said:

A photo of the latest 4mm scale signal under construction, purists should really avoid! It is really a might have been, a signal based on one at Stainforth but with somersault arms (well there will be soon) At least the signal lamps are on and lit (the light bleed will be fixed when the new filler arrives). Technical details :0402 warm white leds and 1k smd resistor, servos to be fitted etc. Still much to do.

The posts are to my own design etched by PPD as is the GCR bracket.

stainforthsortof.jpg.f07aa62595dd1d92c1652a1a549d550e.jpg

Right, I am now going call this signal finished. All arms are on and connected, servos on etc etc. I will be doing a photo or two but it will have to wait as I am now otherwise busy for a few days.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Good Afternoon,

I have been busy videoing etc

The first short one is of a GWR square post 7mm scale signal -details

Arm Wizard, lamp body and finial Modelu. Post and LED me.

The servo is controlled by a MERG servo 4 , using my own version of SEMA 4 (slightly modified bounce and pull simulations)

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Still busy.. I have a couple of videos still to do but here is the latest. just noticed the stray bit of red, which will be fixed pdq.

lbscr2.jpg.8046ff8d8d2c34c4119e271d12d0ce7a.jpglbscr1.jpg.42c9a13afe8c119c2809f76cd926fc82.jpglbscr3.jpg.ad3b1c7c51fad05d838ae497993308c3.jpg

Video replaced by the next one, which is much better

• Like 7

I have done a couple of short videos

First one is the lbscr signal above. I have used a MERG Servo4 for the video using Sema4 firmware, but I didn't set any bounce.

The second one is of a Penzance starter signal.  Again using the same servo control board, no bounce set. The shunt arm is unmotorised though capable of being so.

• Like 7

You may recall this signallnwrbracket.jpg.9fb05aec2d25ce29c4432ecd6b53f089.jpg Well I have fitted lenses to the lamps and think they look much better.

Here is another video. I have had to replace one of the servos, this time with a standard 9g analogue one, much quieter than the digital ones! I haven't set any bounce on the centre one yet but may have another go to refine the operation of all 3 when I have a moment

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1