I have now got around to fixing the Modelu 2mm scale GWR signal lamp to a tubular post having drilled through the lamp with a No 80 drill. I have inserted a Fibre-Optic into the post and aligned it underneath with an ultra bright 5mm warm white LED. the lamp end has been inserted into the lamp from where the backlight should be.

Photos tomorrow.

Good Morning,

Here is a first photo. I've included the crocodile clip  to give a sense of scale (2mm). I might be able to get it a bit brighter, we shall see. I will replace the fibre anyway (I've got enough for several lifetimes), once the signal has been painted and do some more photos once the arm is fitted

post-6948-0-70588300-1476430380.jpg

• Like 2

2mmfibre2.jpg.434dc453b109f174cc82356fd00f2585.jpg2mmscalefibre.jpg.1833c1323694da9131b65a0e8b82e3c8.jpgHi,

Here is a photo with arm in place

However as you can see I am still plagued by the ghost laddering even in 2mm scale. I have checked and it only appears when the image is rotated, so I'll have to take my photos in landscape now and trim down accordingly. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to make a difference which program I use to make the rotation here is a non-rotated photo. The arm hasn't been fitted with an operating rod yet.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 4

Work on the next signal for Robin is now progressing well after discovering I didn't have to wait for the next delivery of 1mm L angle, as I had overlooked an unopened packet!

The Modelu parts are on their way and the arms are done. The superstructure is at last starting to look like that Shrewsbury Signal, now that the bracing is all in place.

There is every likelihood of a photo or two by the weekend.

Having sprayed the signal superstructure with Etch Primer, a visit to Halfords first to obtain another white primer spray can is now in order. The current can didn't quite turn the parts to be white, white enough and has now totally expired.

I can't do the black bits until then, so maybe a photo later tomorrow with a bit of luck or perhaps Sunday.

Arms and weight bars now on. Just have to connect it all up now. Photo tomorrow possibly and then its back to 2mm scale stuff for a few days before I revisit that other Devon favourite on the former LSWR and/ or trackwork in the East Midlands depending on the mood I'm in.

Arms and weight bars now on. Just have to connect it all up now. Photo tomorrow possibly and then its back to 2mm scale stuff for a few days before I revisit that other Devon favourite on the former LSWR and/ or trackwork in the East Midlands depending on the mood I'm in.

Got a bit delayed as I have been working on some 2mm scale stuff plus trying to get some info on the signals at Kingswear (I do have Vol2 of OPC Great Western Stations, so that helps a bit) . Arms on  etc and generally finished - photo tomorrow when hopefully we will have something resembling daylight.

Good Morning everybody,

The Shrewsbury based signal should hopefully soon be installed in its new home, fingers crossed that it has arrived intact. I think my signalling focus will be staying in Devon for most of the rest of the year, although not necessarily GWR in flavour. A brief sojourn to the east on ex LSWR metals is now in progress, which will hopefully be followed by a return to the west with a distinctly nautical flavour to it.

Anyway I've made a start and the baseplate is done, parts are ordered. More soon. Main Post and Stevens cruciform finials arrived this am, from Alan Gibson (Workshop). I already have the arms and lamps etc on hand whilst the bracket will very much be a bespoke confection of 1mm strip and L angle mainly, topped off with a couple of MSE stevens lattice dolls.

Anyway to work, the Gibson etches won't emboss the rivets themselves.

• Like 4

seaton7and4basepost.jpg.561205aa996bba44e248e1edc58f57d6.jpgThis is the next signal started (clue, it's prototype is in Devon but not Brent related or indeed even GWR). Now for the rather large bespoke bracket.

The post is an Alan Gibson etching finished off with 1mm brass L angle. The post was made up as per instructions, the angle was tinned and then solder to the post using a London Road Models RSU.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

In this instance Robin does not require working lights.

However for those cases where it is, then for tubular signals, wires go down the tube, for square posts, a slot is required in the posts filled in with filler after wires in place. I have toyed with the idea of doing some square post etches to save me some work but not got very far with it as yet. Lamps have to be hollowed out to take a warm white smd led.

I've always liked the idea of illuminated signal lamps in my own signals, but the first time I seriously contemplated it was for the current project, 'Callow Lane' (Midland practice). However, I was eventually persuaded by the suggestion that the relatively weak light from the paraffin lamps (as I know from personal experience), would probably not have been visible on the layout, except when viewed as if by a locomotive driver. That, and the few amounts of time that I would envisage doing anything with the layout in the dark, persuaded me to save time and not fit them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It has to be said that the signals being shown here, and in some cases also demonstrated on their owners' layouts, do make a powerful argument for investing. I hope Stephen is in good health and intends to continue his ministry to the needy!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This is the next signal started (clue, it's prototype is in Devon but not Brent related or indeed even GWR). Now for the rather large bespoke bracket.

attachicon.gifseaton7and4basepost.jpg

I'm sure that there are many of us who are looking forward to photos of the completed signals and particularly when they are in situ on the intended layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It has to be said that the signals being shown here, and in some cases also demonstrated on their owners' layouts, do make a powerful argument for investing. I hope Stephen is in good health and intends to continue his ministry to the needy!

So true.There's a lot to be said for looking at the bigger picture with model railways.Another loco purchase or investing in  something that gives the layout more credibility.I wish I could scratchbuild to this quality.

post-126-0-20307700-1478429491_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning,

I am currently doing a mix of LMS and GWR in 7mm scale, all fairly straight forward single post stuff, only of note in that they are to be fitted with working lights and servo motors. At the same time I am just starting on something a little more interesting, namely signals for Kingswear in 7mm scale. Again these will have working lights and servo motors.

Now fitting working lights to signals is not too difficult if the post is tubular or lattice but for square post jobs is. In the past I have put a groove in the post to hide the wires but it's quite a lot of work to do this, much easier if the post was hollow. Remembered that Lochgorm kits does a 2 part etch in both 4mm and 7mm, so am giving them a go this time.

Waiting for delivery from MSE to progress these.

• Like 1

Good Morning,

I am currently doing a mix of LMS and GWR in 7mm scale, all fairly straight forward single post stuff, only of note in that they are to be fitted with working lights and servo motors. At the same time I am just starting on something a little more interesting, namely signals for Kingswear in 7mm scale. Again these will have working lights and servo motors.

Now fitting working lights to signals is not too difficult if the post is tubular or lattice but for square post jobs is. In the past I have put a groove in the post to hide the wires but it's quite a lot of work to do this, much easier if the post was hollow. Remembered that Lochgorm kits does a 2 part etch in both 4mm and 7mm, so am giving them a go this time.

Waiting for delivery from MSE to progress these.

Didn't know about those Lochgorm etched signal posts! I'll be giving those a go methinks (for the same reason as your good self!)

Many thanks

Jon F.

Didn't know about those Lochgorm etched signal posts! I'll be giving those a go methinks (for the same reason as your good self!)

Many thanks

Jon F.

Hi,

Be prepared for some heavy duty soldering. I now have a 100w iron in addition, which does the job pretty well. Otherwise I was just about managing with 65w TC iron and gas torch before but it's easier with the big iron, though I still find myself using the Flame Master torch a bit (it's very handy as it can be used hands free).

Also on the next one, I think I will try pre-trimming the rather over-generous tabs a bit to save a bit effort cleaning up the joint but shall have to be careful not to overdo the trimming.

bradleysignals4a.jpg.59421558a803b693860044d226c330fc.jpgHere is the missing photo

It will be another week before I can do more as I have other pressing matters to attend to.

Now for a few details:

The GWR signals have Modelu finials and MSE lamps (I know the Modelu lamps are very good but as they were to be working ones it was easier to use the MSE ones, which in 7mm scale aren't too bad).

SMD LEDs

Posts - Tubular - Brass tube, Square Post - Lochgorm etched brass

Servos - HobbyKing HK15178

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Well it's another year and it's now time to start tackling the ever-growing mountain of signals I have to build. The next project, which I made a start on some time ago is  GWR/WR signals for a 7mm scale model of Kingswear. Research now completed see my thread on this for details, if you wish. Progress should be fairly rapid now, more soon.

• Like 1