Something scottish by way of a change

post-6948-0-74051200-1548597042.jpgpost-6948-0-46606700-1548597053.jpgpost-6948-0-12820600-1548597064_thumb.jpg

4mm scale signals for a layout on the West Highland line, The upper handrail on the bracket signal has been adjusted since taking the photo.

Parts are mainly Model Signal Engineering.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Many Thanks. Here is something else, recently completed a detailed shot of the centre part of a Double Slip in 7mm scale (0MF). The Slab and Brackets are Shapeways, to match the colour of the Exactoscale chairs I mixed Humbrol 70 and 24 (Both Matt of course)

0mfdssetail.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon,

Now for some photos. I subsequently noticed the wires which were prodded up and out of sight. The other thing is that the green light doesn't come out very green on the pictures, which I put down to a shortcoming of my camera. They are green to the naked eye.

lmsground2.jpg.31ad6c26105146480974f9efa17d477c.jpglmsground.jpg.d9e9d39a9aab349675f10576da5fe0bf.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

When adding servos to 2mm scale signals I find a different approach is need for mounting servos. It isn't really praticable to mount the servo on the signal base as it would be a bit on the large size. So to overcome this I have used MERG servo mounts, I couldn't really get on with the small magnet approach to connect the operating wire to the servo, so to make the signal easily demountable I tapped the servo horn 12BA and screwed in a bolt. I then soldered a very short length of bross tube to the wire and slipped it onto the bolt. Nuts are probably optional as you don't want to tighten the tube on the bolt, a sliding fit is what's needed with minimal slop. The signal is located using some brass telescopic square tubing.

servoconections.jpg

addition
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...

brasspost4.jpg.1b0414c3e922c27721bb38775b5280a6.jpghollowpost4.jpg.f11eeac649ebfe637d30f1049df33a1a.jpgwiredconcretepost.jpg.f498d981d50490a858a8ca2bf2452cb8.jpgNot put much on of late. With a bit more time on my hands having a couple of projects held up by the virus, I thought I'd test out a proof of concept if I can upload the images thus far.

First image is of etched post halves, folded and unfolded, second photo of completed post, third picture of post with holes to represent a concrete post with wires for an SMD LED, I won't be soldering that on until the signal is painted

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have wired and tested the LED a somewhat smaller one than I am used to, normally use 0603s, this is even smaller, just wondering if it might fit in a Modelu 2mm scale lamp. Have to try it now. Anyway lamp body drilled out and tested - superglue for insulation of the LED and securing to lamp now setting. More tomorrow.

On 01/04/2020 at 21:16, Portchullin Tatty said:

Stephen,

How do you do your slotted posts?  I would be concerned that a slot in an etched post would reveal that it is merely a skim and not solid?

Mark

The main problem I am having at the moment is creating a convincing concrete finish

32 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

The main problem I am having at the moment is creating a convincing concrete finish

Take a look at Jim Smith Wright's threads on Birmingham New St (here - but be warned they are huge) or his blog or ask him on the Scalefour Society Forum.

He used a spray from B&Q - not sure which one but it had a fine "splatter" effect that gave just a bit of texture.  I think he then oversprayed it with humbrol concrete colour paint. 

1 hour ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Take a look at Jim Smith Wright's threads on Birmingham New St (here - but be warned they are huge) or his blog or ask him on the Scalefour Society Forum.

He used a spray from B&Q - not sure which one but it had a fine "splatter" effect that gave just a bit of texture.  I think he then oversprayed it with humbrol concrete colour paint. 

Thanks but

I am aware of the spray, in fact I have some but think it might result in an overscale appearance.

30 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Thanks but

I am aware of the spray, in fact I have some but think it might result in an overscale appearance.

Another option would be to deliberately spray it to give an orange peel surface?

Spraying a long way away from the subject and perhaps not quite enough thinner would achieve this?

• Like 1

I had thought about the orange peel effect but I only seem to be able to manage that when I don't want to achieve it and like most find it very easy! Anyway have settled on a finish (for the moment) but not quite sure of it yet. More experiments may follow.

spelling

am quite pleased with the surface effect. Paint and sprinkle on "stuff", paint again when dry. Not sure about the colour at moment. The "stuff" is the very fine black volcanic stuff that pet shops sell for reptiles to play in. I normally use it to represent ash ballast. I would think that talculm powder (can you still buy it?) would suit for 2mm scale.

The light is an SMD 0603 LED in a Modelu lamp body. The finial is also Modelu. Arm, ladder, back blinder, weight bar by  Wizard. Post is one of my etched brass ones modified for a concrete version (holes added). Luckily I had a few made up before I sold the last 7mm scale 30ft etch. Have to wait until PPD resume operations after the virus has abated before I can order more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...