A Hand-built Ngauge single slip + GF 08 with CT decoder

StuartM

Having built a number of 2mm scale turnouts and slips, I've decided to have a go at some fine scale ngauge, because I don't have the skills to convert the 08 to 2mm and I'm totally fed up with my 08 bumping, grinding and stalling its way across Peco turnouts and crossings.

This is part of a 5'x1' shunting plank with the aim being smooth stall free running.

Below is a short video, forgive the poor camera work

• Like 7

That's very nice! Is the slip a kit or did you build it from scratch?

Jim

Scratch built, the Templot templates are the give-away, I know you can buy turnouts and a crossing from British Finescale, but as far I'm aware there are no kit versions of ngauge slips.....yet!. The black straight track is from British Finescale.

It's a shame Peco don't get their act together and bring their trackwork up to the modern standards that Graham Farish and Dapol have achieved, so RTR track finally matches the quality of modern locos and stock.

Scratch built, the Templot templates are the give-away, I know you can buy turnouts and a crossing from British Finescale, but as far I'm aware there are no kit versions of ngauge slips.....yet!. The black straight track is from British Finescale.

It's a shame Peco don't get their act together and bring their trackwork up to the modern standards that Graham Farish and Dapol have achieved, so RTR track finally matches the quality of modern locos and stock.

It's very good indeed and the running of the 08 is astonishing!

I'm very interested in the British Finescale track. If it was available in flat-bottom / concrete sleepers I'd be all-in on it right now. As it is, I've identified a bit of my planned layout that could credibly have wooden-sleepered track (an Engineers' siding) and I'll be buying a test length of bullhead track in the hope that I can use it for that siding at a later stage.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Having built a number of 2mm scale turnouts and slips, I've decided to have a go at some fine scale ngauge, because I don't have the skills to convert the 08 to 2mm and I'm totally fed up with my 08 bumping, grinding and stalling its way across Peco turnouts and crossings.

This is part of a 5'x1' shunting plank with the aim being smooth stall free running.

Below is a short video, forgive the poor camera work

wish I could build  a 2mm turnout to the same quality kudos to you

Nick

• 1 month later...

At the other end of the shunting plank is a 3 way turnout, which worked OK with the 08 on first attempt and required very little fettling to get as perfect as is practical in this scale.  My class 25 works even better :)

post-10866-0-37932800-1474751420_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice work. What are you setting your flangeway gaps too?

Thanks

I guess I'm doing it by eye.

I try and get the gaps as narrow as possible, but sometimes have to widen them, especially on the tighter bends

Although sometimes I have to make the gaps narrower to guide the wheels through the crossing so they don't bang up against the V

So the answer is, I do it by eye and then adjust accordingly while fettling

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I last posted anything to RMweb, but then I've been busy building this layout, that has morphed into something else as its gone along. The trackwork is now all complete and working, and I've just made a start on the scenics.

post-10866-0-52353700-1509232164_thumb.jpg

post-10866-0-38798300-1509232182_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I forgot to mention, I replaced the slip with a Barry crossing.
I did this for a couple of reasons, the first being that when I made the double slip I only used the class 08 as the test loco and after much fetteling it worked a treat, however because this is ngauge and not 2mm finescale, the back to backs of all my loco varied widely and although some would traverse the slip with ease, other locos would get pinched in the flange gaps or ride up against the V's.  Of course I could have rectifed this by either widening all the gaps between the flange ways, but this would have spoilt the look of the thing, or I could have adjusted the back to backs of all the wheel sets on all of my locos, but that would have taken my focus away from building the layout.

The other reason for replacing the slip with a barry crossing is because I've wanted to make one for a while now, and this presented a perfect opportunity.

Really its just two opposing turnouts built on top of each other, but it does work well and more importantly reliably with every loco.

post-10866-0-53616800-1509278369_thumb.jpg

• Like 3