RailCrew Uncouplers

I've not seen these officially mentioned elsewhere (although they do crop up in other threads), so I thought I'd start this one.

I ordered a box of six to fit to a new HO layout, I had previously used permanent magnets with Kadee couplers or just cut the tails off and used a skewer, the former often resulting in unrealiability and surprise detatchments, the latter often at odds with exhibition punters expectations unless you explain the act of using a stick is akin to replicating what the crew would have done on the ground (and traction isn't exactly fully hands off anyway as you have to tend to the trolley poles), and doesn't require the awkward "Kadee Shuffle". However, a new project led me to look at other options and recently announced RailCrew items seemed to fit the bill.

I must add at this point that my modelling time is scarce and I'd rather invest what I have getting things right first time instead of faffing round before an operating session, so I expect any additional costs in both money and time to repay themselves later.I also try to keep wiring as simple and neat as possible, having often been fustrated by the standards seen under some layouts and in our house, the previous owner of 35 years being an absolute bodger (I thought he had redeemed himself by properly installing a fused spur for some wardrobe lights, until I realised they had been wired in with telephone cable).

Anyway, since this was a new build I could drill the holes before laying the track, so didn't have to use the pilot shank as supplied in every pack, nor did I choose to use the individual switch mounting plates as these would be fine for mounting on the fascia edge but I used a separate panel. These aren't just uncouplers, everything you need is included...!

So once mounted, this is what the underside is like:

post-6819-0-64772500-1469134376_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-40232100-1469134368_thumb.jpg

There are two common wires and three to the panel (2x switched and 1x LED).

The panel, as wired- the supplied wiring is a bonus but the soldered connections aren't very durable, but once re-soldered and with a sleeve of heatshrink seems fine as long as it isn't disturbed. Upon testing and despite all being wired the same, two of the five were backwards on the switch, but this is a simple job of swapping two wires. 

post-6819-0-27685300-1469134387_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-74816300-1469134397_thumb.jpg

And in use, I might try to fit a dimmer switch to control the brightness on both the panel and the track:

post-6819-0-92457200-1469134359_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-59848800-1469134407_thumb.jpg

Initial trials were good, with a motley collection of ill-adjusted brands including some old and crappy Kadee #5's on test stock, they performed better than expected.

There is still some magnetic attraction with steel-weighted stock which might reduce as the scenery is added and the position & rotation seems to have some degree of tolerance. But with properly prepared stock, I expect they will be very reliable. The one at the bottom of the last photo shows the black line drawn on to show the alignment (as mentioned in the instructions), I've not taken one apart but believe from photos elsewhere that a pair of magnets rotate into place so apart from the LEDs, don't consume any power when when in the on position, unlike a more traditional electromagnet.

Overall, I'm quite impressed and will continue to use them on future layouts.

Many thanks for this really useful posting. Could I ask what the depth of the bit under the baseboard is? Would it be practical to retro fit them?

They need 35 to 40mm to clear the wiring harness, I suppose you could hard wire the loom to get rid of the plug to save a bit more space.

post-6819-0-53621700-1469196194_thumb.jpg

They are designed to be retro-fitted by drilling a 3mm hole between the sleepers, then inserting the supplied pilot pin into your 45mm hole saw and drilling upwards. As long as you don't go too far, it'll be fine...

Who did you order from? None of my usual suspects seem to have them in stock. That includes Rapido's swag site.

From Rapido, earlier this year but I've only just got round to fitting them.

• 6 months later...

Just spotted this thread having previously posted in another thread here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98453-railcrew-products-could-they-be-used-in-the-uk/ .

In case anyone is interested they are in stock again at the link in the post above but at full price.

They are available at a good discount elsewhere across the big pond but they seem to be out of stock in most places.

I did track some down but the particular store wanted $66 postage :(

No one on this side of the world seems to have them.

I bought a six pack from Rapido last year & only now have I got around to fitting them.

They work very well.

Archived