Modelling big areas of water - suggestions/opinions....?

This is s problem I've been putting off for a long time, but now it's getting to the point where it needs tackling.

Remagen, as you'd expect, is bisected by the Rhine. In area it's a little under 2 metres square. I've spent a lot of time looking at options available and finally come down to Magic Water being the most suitable choice due to its low viscosity and flexible nature when set. However, as it's such a large area of water, and the fact that I'll only get one chance at getting it right, I'd like to hear people's experiences and opinions on the product.

Cheers. Al.

This thread might help?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108785-making-water-with-toilet-paper/

I've not tried the technique myself but it's one I want to try out if I ever get the chance.

Great bridge Al.

I've made a water effect on my layout using this method. It's worked very well. Just one suggestion for anyone thinking of giving it a go , find the toilet paper with the least amount of pattern on it (it makes it easier)

All the best , Kev

I've not had good experience with pva in the past. I find discolours and shrinks over time. It's also very thick doesn't work well around foliage on the shoreline.

To cover the area to the required depth, I estimate need about 7 litres of the stuff.

Great bridge Al.

I've made a water effect on my layout using this method. It's worked very well. Just one suggestion for anyone thinking of giving it a go , find the toilet paper with the least amount of pattern on it (it makes it easier)

All the best , Kev

Kev, how did it work along the shoreline?

On mine , I made the sand bank beach first . Then did the toilet paper stuff . I wanted a edge like a small rolling wave . Some bits have worked better than others . The bit I enjoyed is using some blue , green , white and even black poster paints to create a bit of shade and depth before the clear varnish is added .

Magic water,  like most water effects products, is a very expensive and total rip off and you can achieve equal - or even better - results with a quids worth of PVA.

Modelling rivers isn't all about depth, it's all about river surface something that where most rivers are concerned is only an inch or so visible so, with  a PVA river, all you need is 2 or 3 mm depth at most and I would say that it wouldn't take much more than 20/30 minutes to model the river area under discussion here. Check the second picture out in my first post to give an idea of depth which is practically non exsistant.

Cheers.

Allan

PS: Can't explain the bold text, just computer technology up to its old tricks again.

If nothing else, I'm certainly getting to catch up on a lot of layouts I've missed on the forum.

Back on the Rhine...

I've started to knock up a trial area of river tonight to give the bog roll method a try, but in the usual way my mind works I'm now destructed looking for a suitable boat to place on it so I can turn it into a little diorama....

Archived