Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Malcolm Young

Geoff Endacott

Malcolm Young, who was best known for Hectorage Road and as one of the Park Keepers who built Sydney Gardens, died at home yesterday. He remained cheerful to the end, despite a terminal cancer diagnosis.

post-6770-0-19103800-1469454941.jpg

We will all miss you Malcolm.

I will post details of the funeral arrangements here once they are known.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Premium

I am very sorry to hear that, Geoff.   I only knew Malcolm slightly through Dave Simpson's Gascupboard Thursday Asylum and found him always a true gentleman.   Please pass my condolences to his family.

John Fryer

What an awful shame, a lovely chap. I last saw Malcolm a few weeks back at The Gas Cupboard. He spoke brightly about getting me down to photograph the layout.

Thoughts to friends and family.

• RMweb Gold

This is indeed sad news, as a fellow Southern Modeller Malcolm and I corresponded regularly and met a few times as shows as well when I was exhibiting with Fisherton Sarum. As has been said above a lovely, if not slightly eccentric (in a positive way) chap. I also my condolences to other friends and his family.

Very sad news about Malcolm, a great bloke and always very engaging to talk too. He used to let a number of local modellers use annexes in his garden for building/storing layouts and was a true enthusiast. RIP Malcolm

• RMweb Gold

Malcolmn was a true gent, charming and an absolute joy to be with. He was funny, witty and extremely talented, as others have said an old fashioned English eccentric in the very best sense of the word. The picture Geoff has used at the top of the page is a favourite of mine, I'm stood next to him (brown sleeve) but I can't remember what we were laughing about.

He was in the habit of occasionally sending random, often lengthy emails that could ramble from subject to subject and at times have you laughing out loud. It's a habit I've picked up (as Andy Y will testify) although mine aren't as lengthy, or as funny.

It was a privilege to be able to call him my friend. He will be greatly missed.

Jerry

Very sad to just see this news. I met Malcolm at the Great Electric Train Show last year, he was on Sydney Gardens behind my layout. We had a long chat about Tonbridge the prototype as Hectorage Road was based on Tonbridge. We corresponded by emails afterwards exchanging ideas and information.

He will be missed.

Archived