Hi,

I'm looking to get back into railway modelling after a 30 year break and have decided to build a small station board as a starter to practise my (very rusty) skills. I have chosen Kilgerran on the Whitland to Cardigan branch as it has many of the features I am looking to try out and fits in a small space - I am looking to model in 7mm scale, so not that small :) 

My question relates to the point control at the station. As far as I can tell, there was never a Signal Box there, the goods loop (originally with headshunts at either end) being locally controlled by ground frames at either end. The photo in the link http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/k/kilgerran/index2.shtml (taken from disused stations site) shows the western end of the station with what appears to be a single lever at the frame linked to the facing point lock and rodding for the pair of switch blades, but no obvious means of moving them. So my question to the team is how were the points actually moved?

Thanks in advance

Chris

It probably had an "economical point lock", so that the movement of a single lever first released the lock, then changed the points, then, if necessary, secured the lock again. Quite common on lightly-used lines, and recommended in this application by the BoT guidance.

Diagram from a NZ site, but probably following British practice.http://www.valleysignals.org.nz/track/economicalfpl.html

Stationmaster of this forum educated me on these things, so will doubtless be able to add detail.

K

There appears to be two Rodding Runs to the point ends, pressumably one for the FPL and the other for the switches.

I agree - quite clear that there are two separate rod runs - one for the FPL, the other (longer) run for the point and trap-point. Also, the GF lever is a light colour, which suggests blue (for the FPL), so probably simply the case that lever 2 (black, points) is out of sight just beyond it.

Thanks for the replies Gents, I did wonder if it was some form of integrated action with the FPL lever also acting to move the blades. I'm not sure there is a second lever as there is no second crank coming off the other run towards the frame....

I agree - quite clear that there are two separate rod runs - one for the FPL, the other (longer) run for the point and trap-point. Also, the GF lever is a light colour, which suggests blue (for the FPL), so probably simply the case that lever 2 (black, points) is out of sight just beyond it.

Archived