Arnold Languedoc TER coaches 0383

Guest Damo

Hello all,

I'm modelling a small N layout based in the Languedoc Roussillon. I have Arnold's attractive X73500 in the current red livery and been looking for some coaches to go with the layout. LS Models do some Corail coaches in the red/yellow livery currently in use but sadly these are HO (along with an X27500 electric unit).

I'm not aware of any equivilent Languedoc liveried Corail coaches in N gauge, and I'm not quite confident enough to repaint some, but have come across some older TER livery blue/silver in a box set of three on eBay. The Arnold product code is 0383. A mix of era stock doesn't bother me too much but I was wondering if anyone more knowlegable could tell me how old this product itself is, and if fairly old if there'd likely be any compatibility issues with modern locos (I'm new to modelling so still learning!).

Many thanks in advance,

With that product code they'll be fairly old (Pre-Hornby buy-out of Arnold) but probably all the better for it!

Arnold products are generally very good quality and last well. I've just looked up that set (I'm a German/Austrian modeller so not familiar with French prototype) and they also come with NEM pockets and close-coupling mechanism which will get the corridor connections pretty close with standard couplings and almost touching with a Fleischmann 9545 coupling fitted.  They'll work just fine with just about every loco!  The standard N gauge "Rapido" coupling has been used for donkeys years by every manufacturer. 

Get them bought before someone else does! (and no, I'm not the seller!)

It's worth looking through the very useful "referencement n" website:

http://www.referencement-n.com/

The set that you are looking at is from 2001 - it is in the Coffret section under Arnold.  They were sold as individual coaches too.  They are originally Lima coaches but had modified coupling units so that they are fitted to the chassis as opposed to the bogie.  They are good coaches and you will not have an issue with compatibility with modern stock.  Assuming its the one I just found on ebay the price isn't bad at all.

LS Models did produce some USI type coaches but they tend to go for loads of money! (Set number 70007)

Piko have produced some TER coaches but unfortunately none are of the Languedoc Region.

Thank you so much for the quick and knowlegable replies!

I'm guessing these couplers might be too old to work with the likes of Kato uncoupler track? They would be used with a much more modern Arnold CC 72000 (perhaps not prototypical but I fell in love with the DM Toys special Tricolore version, and the sounds are fab!).

Sorry to be a pain with all the amateur questions!

Thank you all for your help and advice! Asked a few questions in the last week or two and each time received knowledgable and friendly answers.

Archived