Home made catenary

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to some photos of DMU 156's overhead line. 0.5mm is challenging. Especially when it is a show layout. I am struggling to keep my 0.7mm system in good order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, dmu 156 said:

I'm currently installing catenary on a layout for Pete Waterman that is to be exhibited at Chester Cathedral in July . There is a video on Youtube called 'Making Tracks' of the layout still under construction. The gantries are laser cut and the cantilever masts are Peco, the catenary wire is a mix of Sommerfeldt and Peco using the maximum lengths available

of 500mm and some 380mm lengths. The catenary wire is mainly 0.5mm diameter so is quite flexible and bends easily so I've incorporated automatic tensioning as is the case on the real thing at each end of each wire run and this keeps the wire taught, as the tensioning is automatic it compensates for temperature changes and keeps the mechanical loading on the registrations arms equal. At the time of the video being filmed the tensioning assemblies were not installed.

I’ve just found your video on YouTube and subscribed and commented ... (linked below for others to also view).

Top work! Really looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh once fully built ... I do especially like AC Electrics and the WCML. My own layout uses a combination of Dapol and NBrass kit built masts with Peco wires cut to size (thread and YouTube channel linked in the signature).

How did you construct the auto-tensioners? They look very impressive (from the pictures on Facebook).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your reply, the tensioners are made from brass and involved me using my lathe to make the parts. This may sound daunting to many but the tensioners had to be robust as its a portable layout so I've got a strong feeling I'm going to have to do an article on how to do it, the principle of tensioning is easier than you think so I'm sure modellers will come up with their only way adapting what I've done for their own needs.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have a look at 'Railnuts' facebook page, there is a picture of two working cosmetic assemblies, I say cosmetic because you can't get scale weight in the system so the mechanics of the system are under the baseboard. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is going to see the Chester Cathedral layout and wants to ask any questions about the catenary in person then feel free to ask but unfortunately I will not be there for the 1st week so I will have to let you all know when I will be there as I live in York. I understand the entry to see the layout is free so you can visit as many times as you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vecchio said:

Looking forward to some photos of DMU 156's overhead line. 0.5mm is challenging. Especially when it is a show layout. I am struggling to keep my 0.7mm system in good order.

I had a go at building OLE about 20 years ago & agree about wire size. I found 0.6mm piano wire was challenging. It still looked very overscale because wire size & tension just doesn't scale down very well.

I will have another try & I believe I have learned a lot since then:

At the time I didn't consider backing off pantograph tension, but once Dagworth suggested it to me, it seemed so obvious.

I simplified the mast design but that just won't do for me now.

I did not understand the way wires were arranged over a junction, which was poor observation on my part. This will not be an issue with my next effort because there are no junctions.

Hopefully Watford will happen next year & I can get to see your work for myself?

• RMweb Gold

There is a book all about OLE that can be downloaded for free, search for 'Overhead Electrification for Railways' by Garry Keenor this will tell everything about OLE in the UK. Loads of technical information covering all aspects of electrification.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2021 at 12:30, Pete the Elaner said:

Hopefully Watford will happen next year & I can get to see your work for myself?

We will see. Watford cancelled for this year but I didn't hear anything about next year. One thing I can say is that 2023 I will be in our own club exhibition again, which is in Milton Keynes, so not too far away I suppose.

• Like 1