N gauge crowdfunded cars (discussion thread)

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with this. I will be in for a few packs my fault for modelling London and Motorail.

What versions of the Viva and Zephyr are you going to do.......I'd love a HC Viva as it was my first car a 1973 deluxe. My Zephyr preference would be for the big old Mk4 the last of the type.

I'd be keen to support this (as a first experience of crowdfunding) more as a collector of 1:148 cars than anything else... but cars of this era can be sneaked into even the most modern scenarios!

Would be keen on a more modern equivalent too, maybe 1990s based to spread the appeal between modern modellers and those going a little more 'retro'.

Nearly two weeks since my prompt to progress the proposal (message #50) and it all seems to have gone quiet.

Is there any intension to open it up as a crowdfunding project where potential backers can register their interest or will it just remain a discussion thread?

G.

Nearly two weeks since my prompt to progress the proposal (message #50) and it all seems to have gone quiet.

Is there any intension to open it up as a crowdfunding project where potential backers can register their interest or will it just remain a discussion thread?

G.

Hi Graham,

The crowdfunding 'expressions of interest' will go live this week on my web site.

Apologies but I posted the info in the wrong place on here and forgot to port it over to this thread.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks.....will I need to refill the form in later?

If you want multiple, just go back and fill in another leaving your original one in situ. I'll collate them and make sure you get the total you want.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

If you want multiple, just go back and fill in another leaving your original one in situ. I'll collate them and make sure you get the total you want.

Cheers

Dave

Hopefully Dave you should have 1+1+2 from me......

Good luck with this. I will be in for a few packs my fault for modelling London and Motorail.

What versions of the Viva and Zephyr are you going to do.......I'd love a HC Viva as it was my first car a 1973 deluxe. My Zephyr preference would be for the big old Mk4 the last of the type.

Any news on which versions of the Viva and Zephyr are intended?

I've used that link to go to the new form to add to my original expression (that only allowed one to be ordered) for a multiple order, but it only accepts typing in the name field and can't be completed. Therefore, could you please amend my original expression to show a total of four sets required.

Thanks.

G.

I've used that link to go to the new form to add to my original expression (that only allowed one to be ordered) for a multiple order, but it only accepts typing in the name field and can't be completed. Therefore, could you please amend my original expression to show a total of four sets required.

Thanks.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Sorry it's taken so long, I've been out all day.

Figures amended accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

#DJM Dave

Can you be a bit more precise about which versions of the Viva and big Ford you are planning. It influences how many sets I would go for.

Mike

Any news on which versions of the Viva and Zephyr are intended?

With all the excitement on the Class 92 has this project failed on the stop blocks? I am still wanting to know what vehicles are proposed before committing. After all the detailed precision applied to numbers and livery on the locomotives it seems strange that over two months in the product is still so vague. This is the railway equivalent of saying its a Mk2 coach.

With all the excitement on the Class 92 has this project failed on the stop blocks? I am still wanting to know what vehicles are proposed before committing. After all the detailed precision applied to numbers and livery on the locomotives it seems strange that over two months in the product is still so vague. This is the railway equivalent of saying its a Mk2 coach.

Hi Mike,

I'm just stepping through the minefield of potential problems caused by mentioning manufacturers, and am hoping that by saying 'its a sunburst 57 lookalike' might get me round the issue rather than saying 'its a foxhaulluarumph sunburst 57'

I fully understand the need for saying what mark etc and i am working on it as quickly as the briefs allow (no not those type) :-)

cheers

Dave

Dave

I do not think you need to worry about using model names or even manufacturer names, as long as you are not passing the item off as a Ford or anything else, and implying it has their approval or even is made by them. Most of the modern car shapes and names are protected by some form of copyright or intellectual property registration, but that does not apply to the older designs. At least the project is not dead.

But haven't the makes and models already been defined (Vauxhall Viva, Morris Allegro, Morris 1100, Ford Zephyr, Rover P5B) in the first post? I appreciate the marks haven't, but manufacturers have already been mentioned.

Pix

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any update on this project?

Such as how's interest going? Have sufficient registered interest? Have the versions/marks been agreed for the cars? Etc.

Cheers.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Unlike the class 92 in N and OO gauge, the cars have been an utter failure so far.

This may be down to the description of the models, but the overall premise, whilst being sound i thought, has been something that i'm now beginning to shy away from.

I'll leave it until after the next advert comes out in the press and see where we go from there.

I think the response shows clearly to me, at least, that crowdfunding is not a launch and forget process. It needs constant nurturing. The unbelievably spectacular results from the two Class 92 projects shows how effective this can be, and both have detailed product lists with loco numbers and liveries, catalogue reference numbers. In contrast the "cars" just seem like a makeweight project and not even the vehicle marks have been specified. I decided not to commit to the "cars" without knowing as a minimum whether it was an HA, HB or HC Viva or a MkI, MII, MkIII Zephyr. I do not see much hope of rescue for the project now unless the magazine publicity somehow has more precise product specifications than has been forthcoming here. Having 5 equally vague product numbers on the website is not an incentive to express an interest.

Unlike the class 92 in N and OO gauge, the cars have been an utter failure so far.

This may be down to the description of the models, but the overall premise, whilst being sound i thought, has been something that i'm now beginning to shy away from.

Hi, just wanted to mention you started a similar thread to this on the N Gauge Forum, where the first response from myself was "where do I sign up?", a question which was never answered there. I looked on your site once or twice for an announcement or something but found nothing, not even under the N gauge products. It turns out the "expressions of interest" are hidden away under "Other" and the N scale cars are right down at the bottom of a looooooong list - not easy to find. I see you did post the link on this thread in August, but I haven't been following this one. I suspect I'm probably not the only person who hasn't submitted an expression of interest on your site because it's not easy to find out how. I only know now because someone quoted the above on the NGF thread and someone else helpfully pointed out where to find them - have signed up for a couple of packs now but could very easily missed the whole thing.

Just a thought...

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the impression that there's little enthusiasm from Dave for this project and not a great deal of support (although a clarification of the actual car model marks/versions proposed might encourage some more interest) so are we to presume this is dead in the water now?

G.

Archived