N gauge crowdfunded cars (discussion thread)

DJM Dave

Disappointed but not surprised. This should have been a simple crowdfunding project to manage starting with a clearer initial specification. It seems that the process works much better where the items involved are of real interest to the crowdfunder and there is some engagement in dialogue with the market. Would be a pity if this became the norm, because even the good ideas can fail without careful attention. Will be interesting to see the updates on the N and 00 Class 92s.

I think the problem with cars is that everyone wants something different.  Multiple packs just don't fit the bill.   Hawthorn Dene has only two cars on the layout, and Croft Spa will probably only need less than ten in total, with fifties types being more likely and nothing newer than a Mark 1 Mini.  Where layouts DO need a lot of cars these layouts tend to be spread over a range of time periods reducing the market for vehicles of any one era.

EFE couldn't do it with packs of cars in OO, and in the huge Japanese market the Tomix cars are very small beer indeed and seem to need a "lucky dip" approach.

Nice idea but I just don't think it had the legs, especially where money is tight.  Perhaps die cast or plastic singletons might sell.

Les

I think the problem with cars is that everyone wants something different.  Multiple packs just don't fit the bill.  

I think it's true of trains (as well as cars) and probably most things that everyone wants something different. I'm not interested in old steam locos while I guess you are not after third rail EMUs. But it is still possible to make a crowdfunded proposed project work.

This issue here is that it is unclear as to what exactly the four cars proposed are (it's not a multiple pack of one type although that might be good to populate a train load of new cars) and the project hasn't been well promoted and nurtured.

G.

• RMweb Premium

As someone who has been daft enough to build a layout based in London I need loads of vehicles....oh yes and to fill a few Carflats too!

I hope this project hasn't stalled but I do understand the issue regarding what cars and what eras, you'll never please everyone.

So many responses have all the answers so I'm sure someone will be jumping in to fill the void very soon should Dave's project fail to get off the ground.

The market is fickle - simple as that.

Consider the relatively poor response to date to Revolution's B class tanks crowd funding project - something that should be a sure fire winner.

Consider the relatively poor response to date to Revolution's B class tanks crowd funding project - something that should be a sure fire winner.

Why should it be a sure fire winner? You've just said that the market is fickle, but at least Revolution are nurturing the project, have specified the actual wagons and the liveries, have published updates and even CAD drawings.

We don't even know the actual car model marks let alone the colours for the car proposal.

G.

As I implied. Opportunity beckons.

Not really - more like a lack of information prevails.

People wont sign up for and put their money forward for a vaguely specified crowdfunding proposal. It is not an opportunity worth supporting without detail and deliverables.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps too ambitious to go for several models of car at once?

Go for 1 that was very common but not currently available. Sell that in sufficient numbers and use the profit to roll forward to the next. If people need a batch of the same for carflats ex-factory, it's only going to take about 50 modellers to get to that 3000 figure mentioned. Perhaps offer a really good discount for folk who want to buy in batches of, say, 20.

Unpainted?

No harm in suggesting what future issues, perhaps up to 6 ahead, would be. That should start the wishlists going....

Hi Grahame,

No doubt I could have handled the car crowdfunding better, but I think I blundered by not having certain marks of car set in stone.

However the majority of the mail I get on the issue say 'well if only you'd have done a mark 1 instead of a mark 2, then I'd be in for a few packs', or those that actually would prefer alternate vehicle makes.

I've found out, the hard way, that vehicles are going to be very problematic to bring to the market, even more so than locomotives, because of the choice and variety of cars, and the individual modeller's needs.

I suppose the old adage is pertinent.....'you can please some of the people some of the time' etc, and in this case I think it needs deeper pockets than mine or indeed those available from crowdfunding, to bring enough variety to the market to keep enough people happy.

I'll keep it going until Christmas and if I decide I can't proceed, I'll gladly publish the figures for anyone else to take on board and consider making them.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Cheers

Dave

However the majority of the mail I get on the issue say 'well if only you'd have done a mark 1 instead of a mark 2, then I'd be in for a few packs',

Dave,

I wasn't aware that you'd specified the marks of the cars proposed to have been getting emails like that.

Could you please list the actual models and marks to clarify and confirm the list and so that everyone is aware and can support the proposal or not. It might help to get it off the ground or at least allow people to register interest or not.

Cheers.

G.

Hi Grahame,

Sorry to confuse, I actually meant makes , but not marks.

However the data received so far shows that if I stuck with a make of car of a certain mark, then pre orders still wouldn't cover the surface of a small water biscuit (to paraphrase E. Blackadder).

And as it stands I cannot see that changing, although who knows?

However I fully admit that I didn't make understanding what I was offering very easy, but we will see up to Christmas, and then I'll let you all know and if someone wants to run with it they will be welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Grahame,

Sorry to confuse, I actually meant makes , but not marks.

However the data received so far shows that if I stuck with a make of car of a certain mark, then pre orders still wouldn't cover the surface of a small water biscuit (to paraphrase E. Blackadder).

If you don't specify the exact models then many people are in doubt about what you are proposing and are not going to be in a position or willing to support the proposal. It's a bit like saying the next loco is going to be a diesel shunter but not saying exactly what class or it will be a steam 0-6-0 tank loco without the type/class.

I'd suggest fully specifying the list to get a clearer view of the amount of interest. Without that then of course pre-orders will be sparse.

G.

• AY Mod locked this topic

Archived