'Bass' Wagons around 1890

Isn't that simply a buffer stop? It would seem to be a strange place to set up an end loading bay in among all the sidings.

Yes, and there is another just behind the left hand van in the nearest siding. It is fairly obvious when you zoom into the photo.

• RMweb Premium

Your summary of the GWR vs Spillers case is accurate. I supplied some of the material used in writing the article (in pre-Google days!).

So that's why Spillers sold off all their vans! I've often wondered why. Wonder who profited/lost most out of the affair.

• 4 years later...

Came across this thread as putting together a Burton brewery related goods train - very interesting. My family came from Burton and GF lived on the Horninglow road. At 6-7 in the 60's I thought every town had railtracks acroos the streets like Burton ans my father would visit the great pubs on our seasonal holidays, the smell of the hops was great. I have vans and coal wagons but in a recent clip of Fitted Freight on the BFI series I noted they had Bass Tank wagons in their own cradles sat on flat wagons. Has anyone evr seen any kits of these? eg Parkside, Slaters etc I need to revisit the museum and spend a day there for a huge dose of nostalgia. Cheers

• Like 2

Coming in 4+ years late on this thread and living in Burton for most of the first 25 years of my life, up until 1973, I suspect that the uncovered load in the two wagons is actually spent hops, spent grain would not "pyramid" as much, levelling out to almost flat when bounced around during wagon shunting. I base this on experience working in a provender factory on the outskirts of Burton for a few years where spent hops was dried and mixed with molasses and other additives to produce a soft feedstuff for cattle, the spent hops had the same appearance as the stuff in those two wagons.

Phil T.  

Edited by Phil Traxson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but...does anyone have an idea how to make up the brand lettering on this wagon eg print on self-adhesive paper, make up using transfer lettering etc. I am going to use 4x my Peco Shell/BP WW kits as they are pretty close with the cradle and side bar struts https://hmrs.org.uk/ind-coope-allsopp-burton-10t-beer-tank-no-22-op-1939-r3l-order-1441.html

Thanks for any ideas

• RMweb Gold

I am a Typographer but couldn't tell for certain which typeface/ don't that is, but I have a feeling that looks like a precursor to Helvetica or Swiss as it is known on most computers. There are several websites where you can search for type faces or Fonts by uploading a photo or defining the lettering you have. One is here https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

And another here

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/matcherator

Or here

https://www.whatfontis.com/

The first site you can define by choosing which style is close and narrowing it down.

Another way would be to screenshot the photo and load it into a Vector illustration package like Illustrator or Inkscape and trace the outlines and then clean it up and print on inkjet decal paper.  The problem you are going encounter is that you want white lettering on a dark/black background which is difficult with home printed decal paper.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The lettering on these wagons isn't a typeface, its signwriting, which followed its own rules of proportion. You'll generally find that verticals and horizontals are the same width, whereas in block sans-serif typefaces the horizontals are narrower than the verticals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks very much Stephen & Simon - it's given me some direction as you have highlighted the issues ie was it a type face or sign-written and how to apply to a dark background, plus what paper to use. many thanks. Its worth the effort as there will be at least 4 wagons and they are very distinctive.

• Like 1