Bachmann 30-049 Permanent Way Set - Class 20 088

tractor_37260

Can anyone advise which sound decoder is fitted in the Class 20 088 ?

Going by the set price, I suspect it may be a Loksound Select and not a Loksound V4.0 ?

It is an ESU select sound decoder which cannot be reblown.

I always liked my Lima model of that loco and looks like a few will appear at decent prices split from the set might be tempted at some point.

Mark

Hattons already listing 20 088 split from the set - via pre-order for £154 - fine if your happy with the Bach Class 20 sound file ? as noted above a Loksound "Select" is fitted which cannot be re-blown.......

I quite like the look of the carriages though the one using the Super BG moulding must be incorrect as I am sure the coach is based on a coach conversion (not a short BG).

Does look nice though...

IIRC most of the BTU tool vans were converted from SKs, so would be longer. These coaches look like straight repaints which very few BTU vehicles were (just the current Super 97100x Super GUVs and a handful of ex-fish vans, from memory).

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard one of these loksound select 20s. Im interested in the set but i cant find any videos to audition the sound.

Many thanks,

It sounded pretty good when I heard one - Sawyer Models had a video of one going round the shop track on their Facebook group

• 2 weeks later...

Must say I've been very tempted by this set, as sort of a starter in DCC. But, my layout is currently DC and I have no plans to go full DCC. Just want to switching between the two control systems, running a few sound fitted locos and visiting friends models. 

Naturally all my DC stock will be off the track when running DCC (everything is off the track after every running session), and I have no Roco Track clears. Is switching between DC and DCC as simple as un-pluging the DC Controller from the track and plunging in the DCC Controller? And vice versa? 

Must say I've been very tempted by this set, as sort of a starter in DCC. But, my layout is currently DC and I have no plans to go full DCC. Just want to switching between the two control systems, running a few sound fitted locos and visiting friends models. 

Naturally all my DC stock will be off the track when running DCC (everything is off the track after every running session), and I have no Roco Track clears. Is switching between DC and DCC as simple as un-pluging the DC Controller from the track and plunging in the DCC Controller? And vice versa? 

Yes provided you follow all the precautions above.  If you have any section switches on your existing layout then they can all be set to on.  I did this on my old layout before committing to a full switchover to DCC.  My only warning would be that you might find that once tried you won't go back and you have to switch over the DCC in full and that could become an expensive business...  I think I've fitted all my 100+ locos and 30+ DMUs now but it has taken a while...

Incredibly easy although keep DC locos off the track while it is under DCC control.

PROVIDING THERE ARE NO TRACK CLEANERS and your DC controler is conventional (non feedback type).....

A plain (non sound) DCC fitted model runs like any other DC model under DC. I have only 2 such fitted (vs 200+ classic DC and 20+ sound fitted ones).

DCC sound fitted models can also run under DC but how they run depends on the chip's program.

-- Some won't run (a CV is set for DCC use only or it runs in reverse direction to normal mode, I have 2 class 20s and had to reverse one chips sense of direction for example so they could run prototypically as a pair)

-- Some will run like normal DC model and emit no sound. Hornby TTS locos are like that.

-- Some will go through DCC sound start up regime before actually moving off under DC (most sound fitted locos)

• RMweb Gold

FYI...just a thought with regard to sound. You can run sound-fitted Hornby locos on dc analogue but not TTS. Obviously you won't have all the facilities that dcc can produce.I currently have rebuilt Bulleid 34040 "Crewkerne ". and the sound,I think,is pretty accurate.You have to use a bit more current (Gaugemaster) to get the beast going .The same I tried with a sound Bachmann Class 40 with unsatisfactory results,so I sold the sound chip on.

Thanks for all the info.

Right, (know nothing about DCC personally, so may sound like a bit of an idiot), so what you guys are saying is that it is safe to switch back an forth between DC and DCC, providing I've done all things stated above. So I don't need any extra wiring. The only issue I have is the isolated point work, if I wanted to keep sound running in the sidings. 

I've just done a bit of research into the Controllers povoided in the sets, and I've heard they are pretty limited (only holding 9 locos address). Does this mean they can only operate 9 sound functions too? Also someone said you can't change the volume of the locos on it too? Does anyone have a Bachmann Controller and knows how it works? 

I always liked my Lima model of that loco and looks like a few will appear at decent prices split from the set might be tempted at some point.

Mark

theifbay is over ridden with them, it's like a tsunami of Class 20's but knowing that it's a Select chip I'll steer well clear

Thanks for all the info.

Right, (know nothing about DCC personally, so may sound like a bit of an idiot), so what you guys are saying is that it is safe to switch back an forth between DC and DCC, providing I've done all things stated above. So I don't need any extra wiring. The only issue I have is the isolated point work, if I wanted to keep sound running in the sidings. 

I've just done a bit of research into the Controllers povoided in the sets, and I've heard they are pretty limited (only holding 9 locos address). Does this mean they can only operate 9 sound functions too? Also someone said you can't change the volume of the locos on it too? Does anyone have a Bachmann Controller and knows how it works?

9 loco addresses is not many, but then it will probably be a while before you have 9 DCC fitted models. As an experiment, the cheap controller is probably suffice at the start.

9 addresses does not mean just 9 sounds, sounds are attached to the function buttons.. The controller may be limited in the.number of functions though (say 12 per address which is a lot) but I guess Bachmann would have theirs fully covering the sounds of its own model.

Changing sound volume normally means setting up a CV value in the chip itself (basically means editing a part of its program) and I doubt the cheap controller will do that (probably limited to changing a chip address) They are not that loud anyway and you can run the loco in DCC with the sound switched off. As you are starting in DCC, I would keep away from CV values from now and just use the function key to switch sound on and off.

SDJR,

Just adding to the above post....

You can have 9dcc addresses and 1 analogue address with the controller.... so in theory 10 seperate loco's could be on track, but the system is only good enough power wise for two.....just......

Surprisingly, you won't be able to control all the functions! I think you get 9 controllable functions with the controller, (i got the highlander set) and you get 12 sound functions on the loco chip.... so the supplied instruction manual has little asterix's against 4 sound functions telling you helpfully that you are unable to access them on a Bachmann EZ command system controller (supplied in set)....

So I was happy with the sound in the highlander set, class 37 (compares well with all my other sound locos, except for SLW class24)and also with the ESU Locksound select, and was surprised at the improved control of the loco's on Dcc.... so very quickly out grew the EZ command system and purchased a 'proper system' from NCE....

Now the good news.... model railways direct have a sale on and the set is £209....(no connection, just happy customer) compare that to some of the suppliers selling the items split from the set, £155 for the loco and £65 for the two coaches..... so paying £10 less, getting free oval of track and basic dcc system....

Now do I order a set for myself and try and flog the controller on Ebay........

Yes there is a function on the chip to alter the volume, but it's one of the functions above 9 and you can't access it off the controller.....

Archived