The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

AEFs in Chippies (from White Waltham in our case) were fun. I think the pilots' main aim was to see if they could make the cadets sick. Never did any courses apart from gliding though.

Shooting was also good. Thanks to the CCF I made the school team in both small- and full-bore.

My first air experience flight was in a Chipmunk from Abingdon. One of the pilots was asking cadets “can you see the white horse”, to which they dutifully replied “No sir”. They were asked again once inverted!

I did an O level in air navigation, and as part of that we had a practical lesson from Bournemouth. One cadet did manage to throw up, all over his map!

When I moved to NI we had Bulldogs for aef. The university air squadron had 3 bulldogs, so no point in having a chipmunk and have to have separate spares and servicing. We flew from Belfast harbour airport.

Shooting was fun. They let us on the range once with SLRs, with full 20 round magazines. But mostly 303 or 22. Advantage of NI is we were given just as much ammunition but less cadets. Most I managed in a day was 65 rounds of 303.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another oldie from my Dad's photos. I know it is the first Shackleton prototype VW126, which flew in March 1949. I also know that it is not in "as built" condition because the mid upper turret has gone.

Prototype_Shackleton.jpg.c8e3f7d33a8669448179e239d74a12ed.jpg

Looking it up online it appears to have been used as a test bed for many things in its career and it was doing just that when it was photographed, as Dad's handwritten note says "Trailing static not fitted during tests".

What tests they are or a date were not recorded. My best guess is late 1940s, early 1950s.

• Like 7

On 13/05/2020 at 13:27, burgundy said:

Can anyone explain why some military flights appear on FlightRadar 24 and others do not? We have had a fair number of military aircraft visiting Bristol recently. Of those that I have seen and checked, none of the helicopters show up on FlightRadar. However, one A400M blotted out the sun and did not appear on radar, while several others were clearly identified going in and out of Brize Norton (and elsewhere). 

Best wishes 

Eric 

Try ADSB, Shows up much More Mil Stuff. Click on the U label option top right on the map. Up now is  an A400 over Lands End and an A330 over Brize. Hawks and some choppers show up as well as USAF heavies. Not all Mil stuff has suitable Transponders I imagine to show up on these applications

https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/05/2020 at 10:20, rob D2 said:

It’s an utter disaster for aviation . End game for the days of cheap fares 

Might be no Harm rising fares so that we don't have unnecessary travel for the sake of a few pints for a a piss up in Prague and the fattening of the few Shareholders wallets. The Pollution these jets make must have a massive impact on the planet. 

When you look at FR24 and see the amount of these things in the air it is startling, Look at marine traffic too and the amount of boats, Take cars, Lorry's, Trains etc into the equation. Nuts.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

From that intersection (UK) he’d need three minutes before takeoff. He won’t catch the biggie up so a good part of the turbulence will have dissipated by the time he’s climbing out, and his flight profile and route is unlikely to match the jet. It is something that can vary enough to be a significant hazard though, particularly putting a smaller jet behind a big one.

• Agree 1

A friend of mine bought this ex Polish Air Force MiG-21 a few years ago. He flew it for a while until something failed which was to costly to repair, so he donated it to TASM, and had it repainted and put on display on North Korean markings. The photo below shows it after sand blasting. We get lots of historic aircraft coming through Tulsa, at least one B-17 per year. Last year we had the B-24 Diamond Lil, and the B-29 Fifi. 

47849479-B52E-48AE-930D-DE48ACF2ADEF.jpeg

5B99D355-0386-4103-9E36-2CD8135AB044.jpeg

BCD792E0-6D36-4588-B4A4-50F485C7CD40.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 25/05/2020 at 10:38, Georgeconna said:

Might be no Harm rising fares so that we don't have unnecessary travel for the sake of a few pints for a a piss up in Prague and the fattening of the few Shareholders wallets. The Pollution these jets make must have a massive impact on the planet. 

When you look at FR24 and see the amount of these things in the air it is startling, Look at marine traffic too and the amount of boats, Take cars, Lorry's, Trains etc into the equation. Nuts.

Don’t buy into that myth. Civil aviation is one % of emissions .

Might be unnecessary for you , but you don’t get to choose what’s unnecessary for others 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Don’t buy into that myth. Civil aviation is one % of emissions .

Might be unnecessary for you , but you don’t get to choose what’s unnecessary for others 

When doing aviation environment it was always an eye opener At consultations for the public to learn the highest polluting elements came from vehicular traffic around the airport. One of the reasons why even in the early 90’s there was a big push to get ramp traffic electric powered. Local urban areas also had high pollutants from the same vehicles, staff/passengers getting to and from the airport. This has lead to some significant infrastructure changes and encouragement to use public transport to get to airports, but it (Pollution) is still massively biased toward car traffic.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PMP said:

Cargo still ticking over with PPE and fresh produce flights.

You've had plenty of interesting traffic over the last couple of months.

It must beat the boring procession of TUI etc, flights....?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PMP said:

From that intersection (UK) he’d need three minutes before takeoff. He won’t catch the biggie up so a good part of the turbulence will have dissipated by the time he’s climbing out, and his flight profile and route is unlikely to match the jet. It is something that can vary enough to be a significant hazard though, particularly putting a smaller jet behind a big one.

Agreed regarding take-off. Landing would need more care to stay above the flight path of the biggie.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Agreed regarding take-off. Landing would need more care to stay above the flight path of the biggie.

It’ll vary depending on flight rules in use. Instrument landing traffic would be appropriately spaced behind the larger, using established minima to minimise wake vortex/turbulence. For light aircraft on a visual approach appropriate recommended minima (Uk) passed to the Pilot. It would then be the pilots responsibility to maintain a suitable flight path. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

You've had plenty of interesting traffic over the last couple of months.

It must beat the boring procession of TUI etc, flights....?

We rarely get bored, in the olden days (before March), our varied mix of traffic and restricted airfield layout kept us ‘honest’. Even in today’s quieter volume it still has its challenge :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PMP said:

We rarely get bored, in the olden days (before March), our varied mix of traffic and restricted airfield layout kept us ‘honest’. Even in today’s quieter volume it still has its challenge :)

Where is that Paul, if you don't mind me asking?