The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
On 21/05/2019 at 10:32, BMacdermott said:

Hello PMP

I have just taken a rough measurement from the hotel to the 09L touchdown zone, and it's near enough 2km.

Brian

H Brian the 2km distance isn’t a typical ‘standard’, coincident apart from your event. The atmospheric properties, as well as the frequency band the noise is in are some of the big variants. Again we used to see complaints about a particular pitch of a noise event, that hadn’t caused disruption/annoyance in other localities. I used to have some very detailed academic work regarding noise propagation , most effective in fact for curing insomnia..

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 20/05/2019 at 22:25, PMP said:

I recall investigating an engine run complaint from some houses 2km from the airfield, and none from those on the fenceline. The engine noise was 'bouncing' due to atmospherics, missing the locals, and landing 2km away.

Wind direction and cloudbase height plays a part too in channelling the sound; a few years ago we sat on our deck listening to The Killers ten miles away clear enough to sing along to Mr Brightside (it's compulsory). Of course we were singing 45+secs behind them.

Just to say on topic here's a gratuitous pic of a Chipmunk heading downwards from some years back.

DuxChip.jpg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Wind direction and cloudbase height plays a part too in channelling the sound; a few years ago we sat on our deck listening to The Killers ten miles away clear enough to sing along to Mr Brightside (it's compulsory). Of course we were singing 45+secs behind them.

Just to say on topic here's a gratuitous pic of a Chipmunk heading downwards from some years back.

DuxChip.jpg

Downwards ?. Looks to me as if you're going skywards.

....(Thinks)....Probably ground bound in a few seconds or so, tho'.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
Just now, Ceptic said:

Downwards ?. Looks to me as if you're going skywards.

....(Thinks)....Probably ground bound in a few seconds or so, tho'.

We did try going straight up but it kept sliding back down.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

I had thought that rear mounted engines had gone out of fashion for passenger jets. However, these two photos were taken at Bucharest airport this week. 

IMG_8333.JPG.25d5e26dd4b59aabfa7f486cde47560a.JPG

Wiki suggests that there is a pair of ROMBAC 1-11s "in store" at Bucharest and this may be them. The photo needed a bit of zoom - hence the haze - as they were standing with some Romanian Air Force transports on the far side of the runway. Can anyone suggest what else they  might be?

Then after we had boarded, this was visible a couple of gates along.

IMG_20190520_183038.jpg.9b997ada63e172f31a6e15ad2c4c267f.jpgThe tail number indicates that this is an IL-62M freighter, built in 1985, belonging to the Belorusian company, Rada AIrlines.

Best wishes

Eric    

• Like 5

There are still Bombardier (Canadair) and Embraer 40 to 90 seat rear-engined commuter jets in service.  Rear engine configurations have certainly fallen out of favour for airliners but still the only configuration for business jets, ie, Gulfream, Bombardier, Cessna, etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

There are still Bombardier (Canadair) and Embraer 40 to 90 seat rear-engined commuter jets in service.  Rear engine configurations have certainly fallen out of favour for airliners but still the only configuration for business jets, ie, Gulfream, Bombardier, Cessna, etc.

Lots of Boeing 717s in these parts - Wikipedia tells me that they are a successor to the DC9 family.

• Like 1

Yes, forgot about those, and of course the MD90, most of the less than 100 produced have been bought up by Delta!  The Boeing 717 (initially called the MD95) was sold/leased to ValuJet/AirTran.  When Southwest bought them, they were all (91) transferred to Delta as Southwest is an all B737 airline.  Both types were DC9/MD80 derivatives.

There were 158 B717s built, some of which are operated by QuantasLink.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 21/05/2019 at 16:51, Fat Controller said:

When the Hovercraft were still running from Calais to Dover, you could here them leaving Calais from Dover.

I used to live 20km from Schiphol and could regularly hear engines spooling up for takeoff if the weather conditions were correct.

There have been a few initiatives over the years to re-engine the B52 fleet with modern more efficient turbofans.  The first I heard of was to use four RR RB211s on a lease basis.  The most recent was to use eight biz-jet sized engines in the existing nacelles - presumably easier to certify assuming the same weight as the existing ones.  The quoted increase in range and reduced maintenance you would have thought would make it a no brainer....but!

14 hours ago, enginelane said:

Which we are getting rid off even though it’s one of the best doing the job and has no replacement 

Not for a couple of years yet, 2021 I saw in Wikipedia.

steve

On 23/05/2019 at 14:37, Jeff Smith said:

Yes, forgot about those, and of course the MD90, most of the less than 100 produced have been bought up by Delta!  The Boeing 717 (initially called the MD95) was sold/leased to ValuJet/AirTran.  When Southwest bought them, they were all (91) transferred to Delta as Southwest is an all B737 airline.  Both types were DC9/MD80 derivatives.

There were 158 B717s built, some of which are operated by QuantasLink.

There are approximately 17 B717’s operating in Europe, with Spanish/Italian airline, Volatea.

A couple of years ago, Volatea regularly operated the B717 into Southampton airport a few times a week during the summer months (May to Oct), flying to Palma and Ibiza.

This lasted for a couple of years, but they’ve since pulled out.

Very useful for our “lads” trips to Ma-jork-ka.  All very cultural of course  ;):rolleyes::laugh_mini::crazy:

Ron

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 23/05/2019 at 09:50, burgundy said:

..........Then after we had boarded, this was visible a couple of gates along.

On 23/05/2019 at 09:50, burgundy said:

IMG_20190520_183038.jpg.9b997ada63e172f31a6e15ad2c4c267f.jpg

The tail number indicates that this is an IL-62M freighter, built in 1985, belonging to the Belorusian company, Rada AIrlines.

Best wishes

Eric    

That Rada Airlines IL62 MGr seems to recently have popped up at various places across Europe, the Middle and Far East.

Surprising that it's back flying after running off the end of the runway at Khartoum international last August.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=214510

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fairportspotting%2Fposts%2F10155396118635518&width=500

Dk93nS1XoAARv8h.jpg

Repaired and back flying , here it is photographed at Bucharest on 16th May this year....

39877_1558030954.jpg

ew-450tr-rada-airlines-ilyushin-il-62mgr

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Photographed passing over Eastleigh works and Depot on Wednesday 5th June.

Arriving at Southampton Airport to pick up the POTUS, following his attendance at the D-Day commemoration at Southsea Common, Portsmouth.

1883933898_2019-06-0508_54_48.jpg.4dbd707ca7e0b5e78613723bed0035e9.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Two_sugars said:

I think you may have that wrong my friend. . . . . It doesn't appear big enough carry his EGO.

John

I think that went separately in a C-5A Galaxy from Mildenhall.

Transport from Portsmouth to Southampton airport was by the Presidential flight helicopters, complete with two Chinooks, carrying security forces.

The helicopter formation flew over just in front of our house.

Made a lovely loud din.

The USAF  C-32A (a.k.a. B757-200) took him from Southampton to Shannon to meet the Irish Tea Shop.

The press report, that after the talks, he then went on to stay at his Irish golf course retreat before meeting some of the locals.

Apparently when his aids told him it was arranged for him to meet the village people, the President assumed Leo had brought along some pals.

:crazy_mini:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3