The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Here’s one. Aggressor A4 preserved in the US.

255B5C6A-3222-4BAA-9F47-E1EE379913DD.jpeg

Heinemann's "hot rod". The US Marines kept ordering these long after the Navy stopped getting them. They went "low-and-slow" better that any other jet in the inventory at the time. The AV-8 Harrier eventually replaced the A-4 in the USMC* inventory.  Not shown is the twin seat version, the TA-4F.

More information here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-4_Skyhawk

*Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

A 360 from the cockpit of an RAAF C-17A Globemaster flying at low level over Brisbane on Thursday. This was a rehearsal for Riverfire tonight. I was in one of the city buildings looking DOWN on it as it flew past!

Great vid. I think I’d have liked to inhibited the GPWS first if possible , to stop all those distracting “ obstacle terrain “ calls

• RMweb Gold

Not a pic but yesterday returning on the 16:25 KL1074 AMS-MAN I had my first aborted landing - I enjoyed it immensely!

We came in low over Denton/Bredbury with low cloud cover and patchy rain. Turbulence was much lower than expected with just a little roll present occasionally.

We went lower and power was applied pressing us into our seats - then back to the glide path over the pub at the end of the runway. I did think we were still a bit low at this point. Then more power whilst descending over the runway. Must have been a few 10s of feet above it now. The plane was pitching quite a bit - then nose up with full power. :)

The Pilot later explained "that wind shear was the cause and that we wound try and have another go if the weather improves - if not we would be off to another city."

So a low tour around Manchester and we landed without fuss 20 minutes later.

Obviously I am no expert but wind shear did not seem to be a problem but height was. I wonder if they had that pressure/altitude thingy set correctly to show Manchester's runway to be at zero height when coming in?

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SHMD said:

Obviously I am no expert but wind shear did not seem to be a problem but height was. I wonder if they had that pressure/altitude thingy set correctly to show Manchester's runway to be at zero height when coming in?

Kev.

Wind shear causes vertical height fluctuations, so depending on the type of wind shear you can gain and lose altitude very quickly. This can lead to an unstable approach and a subsequent go around which from your description sounds likely. 

Whilst it’s not impossible I think it highly unlikely the go around was caused by an altimetry issue.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

A 360 from the cockpit of an RAAF C-17A Globemaster flying at low level over Brisbane on Thursday. This was a rehearsal for Riverfire tonight. I was in one of the city buildings looking DOWN on it as it flew past!

At least you did not fly under one of those bridges!  Or loop it!! :biggrin_mini::biggrin_mini::yahoo_mini::biggrin_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

More from Brisbane last week. The Mach Loop has nothing on this, although sadly this only happens on 2 days each year for Riverfire.

1.jpg.32d03be41dd5140896d7aea296cd33af.jpg

2.jpg.867cbeee54aa4986b5b1ef940ea094e1.jpg

3.jpg.8aaf59d7ee78159fdeaa616b2bfd1380.jpg

4.jpg.caf265b16ab56a2008de8d825e05cf52.jpg

One day that'll all go very, very wrong.....

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, polybear said:

One day that'll all go very, very wrong.....

They used to do it with F-111s. Much lower and much faster.  Here's a 360 with an EA-18G last year.

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Seen flying over the Grosmont Station area on 26 September, I'd be grateful for an identification please.

I know it looks to be from the De Havilland 'Moth' stable, but that's about the limit to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance for informative replies.

Regards,

John 

DSC02470 (3).JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, peanuts said:

for those of you who like older aircraft images these popped up on one of my photography pages very atmospheric images of just jane 

https://purpleport.com/group/share-a-shoot/159280/-Just-Jane---for-aviation-enthusiasts-/?

I can't see anything as I'm not a member...

• Agree 1