The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

6 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Cyprus Airways operated 5 ex-American Airlines 707-123B 's from around 1979/80, three of which served with them until the late 1980's

I had no idea that AA livery with the red/white/blue waist lining and the A-eagle-A tail dated back at least as far as 1970! Thanks for sharing. It was exceptionally long-lived, only recently being replaced.

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Er, I don’t think even her majs flying club can just sneak up on the tower...I hope they radioed beforehand....;)

At the risk of being fair to NATS, they had already cancelled a scheduled visit to the control tower on 27th Feb because of Coronavirus. I don't think there were many other organisations that were so quick off the mark. 

And yes, I know that the control tower has windows all round, but the normal traffic goes across the front, along the runways, rather than coming in over the car park. :D

They really do not have a lot going on at the moment, compared to the normal level of traffic. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I had no idea that AA livery with the red/white/blue waist lining and the A-eagle-A tail dated back at least as far as 1970! Thanks for sharing. It was exceptionally long-lived, only recently being replaced.

That livery was launched round about 1968/9 and introduced around 1970/71, but it was a while before the previous mid to late 60's livery disappeared.

It lasted until 2013 !!!

Here's a photo from May 1971, showing the "new" livery on a 727 in the background.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-727-23/769551

0769551.jpg?v=v40

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

My first flight was Heathrow to Le Bourget with a BEA Vanguard G-APEH

48880872376_fe0e1f5d0c_c.jpgG-APEH Vickers Vanguard 953. Glasgow/Renfrew (GLA/EGPF) 1962 by Martin  Stephen, on Flickr

I used to fly in those between Edinburgh and Heathrow in the early 70s, before the Trident 3Bs took over.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The AA logo was used on the spaceship in the film "Silent Running" from 1972:

silentrunning011.jpg.68e080c40db843f1483cbed65957c4c0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Trainshed Terry said:

For me it has to be the TSR 2. It such a graceful looking aircraft that never saw front line service.

Terry.

The other TSR-2 at Cosford was wheeled outside a few weeks ago.

Not my pics - from flickr.

FRONT SHOT IN B & W TSR2 COSFORD

TSR2 COSFORD

British Aircraft Corporation TSR 2 DSC07473

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, newbryford said:

The other TSR-2 at Cosford was wheeled outside a few weeks ago.

Not my pics - from flickr.

FRONT SHOT IN B & W TSR2 COSFORD

TSR2 COSFORD

British Aircraft Corporation TSR 2 DSC07473

I would have gone to see this one if I could havebut due vto this lockdown it is hard to go anywhere.

Terry.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I always wondered why the Vickers Vanguard airframe was not used for the Nimrod rather than the Comet. I would have thought it would have been a much more suitable airframe.

Edited by meil

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

For me it has to be the TSR 2. It such a graceful looking aircraft that never saw front line service.

Terry.

IMG_2469.JPG

"TSR2" and "graceful" don't usually go in eh same sentence...

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I believe only one TSR2 prototype ever actually flew.  The Olympus engine technology was used for the Concorde, so not everything was lost!

The Olympus engine was used in the Vulcan.

The Avro Arrow - which ended up going the same way as the TSR 2 - always struck me as an impressive aircraft.

7-884.JPG.e1e6f36801b8a238fa2f89d6ab337323.JPG

Only a variety of parts survived after the programme was abandoned by the Canadian Government and the airframes hastilly scrapped, though this replica was constructed about 20 years ago and at the time of this photo (2007) was on display in the museum at Downsview Airport (Toronto).

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I believe only one TSR2 prototype ever actually flew.  The Olympus engine technology was used for the Concorde, so not everything was lost!

1 hour ago, meil said:

The Olympus engine was used in the Vulcan.

32 minutes ago, johnd said:

And one Vulcan was used as the test bed for the Concorde engine with the engine fastened underneath it !

The Olympus engine used in the TSR2 was a heavily modified and reworked development of the engine used in the Vulcan.

Plus reheat of course.

A Vulcan test bed was also used to carry a TSR2 engine, but the engine blew up and destroyed the Vulcan in the ensuing fire, during a ground test.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The Olympus engine used in the TSR2 was a heavily modified and reworked development of the engine used in the Vulcan.

Plus reheat of course.

A Vulcan test bed was also used to carry a TSR2 engine, but the engine blew up and destroyed the Vulcan in the ensuing fire, during a ground test.

The Vulcan used the Olympus 301 the Concorde used the 501

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

The Avro Arrow - which ended up going the same way as the TSR 2 - always struck me as an impressive aircraft.

7-884.JPG.e1e6f36801b8a238fa2f89d6ab337323.JPG

Only a variety of parts survived after the programme was abandoned by the Canadian Government and the airframes hastilly scrapped, though this replica was constructed about 20 years ago and at the time of this photo (2007) was on display in the museum at Downsview Airport (Toronto).

It always struck me that the Arrow was a more versatile aircraft than the TSR2 (much as I like the TSR2). Both were killed off by the Yanks in their usual way. It wouldn't surprise me to find their grubby hands in the cancellation of the M52.

Edited by meil

1 hour ago, johnd said:

And one Vulcan was used as the test bed for the Concorde engine with the engine fastened underneath it !

Indeed, and it was b****y noisy; I worked under the flight path, about 5 miles west of Filton, back in 1976-7. When the Vulcan came over, all the racking in the stores would vibrate, and things would fall off them.