The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

1 hour ago, meil said:

The Vulcan used the Olympus 301 the Concorde used the 501

There were 2 quite different Vulcan bombers.

The early B1 model  (with the smaller and straighter, slightly kinked delta wing) was powered by various versions of the Olympus 100 series.

They didn’t last in service for very long, with most being retired by 1966 and 67, having only seen between 8 and 10 years frontline service.

The later and more successful B2 (with the bigger, curvier wing) used the Olympus 201 & 202 series, with later production models getting the 301.

Some early production B2’s were refitted with 301’s

Concorde was powered by the Rolls Royce/ SNECMA Olympus 593

The Olympus 593 flying test bed, was a retired Vulcan B1.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

There were 2 quite different Vulcan bombers.

The early B1 model  (with the pure delta wing) was powered by various versions of the Olympus 100 series.

They didn’t last in service for very long, with most being retired by 1966 and 67.

The later and more successful B2 used the Olympus 201 & 202 series, with later production models getting the 301.

Some early production B2’s were refitted with 301’s

Concorde was powered by the Rolls Royce/ SNECMA Olympus 593

I remember there being examples of all three types of V-bomber in the scrap row at St Athan in the late 1960s. Car parking for Air Days was in and around them, the area around the Vulcans being coveted as they afforded the most shade.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The prototype Vulcans had Avon and Sapphire engines

The first prototype first flew with the Avon and was refitted with Sapphires early on in the test program.

It was later on refitted with Rolls Royce Conways and used as the flying test bed for those engines.

The second prototype was fitted with early versions of the Olympus.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, meil said:

I always wondered why the Vickers Vanguard airframe was not used for the Nimrod rather than the Comet. I would have thought it would have been a much more suitable airframe.

IIRC the requirements spec called for the aircraft to be able to dash somewhere and then loiter (which I belive the Nimrod could do on one engine).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

All these experimental jets look like a five year olds drawing of a fighter !

I bet the TSR2 was tricky to land as small thin wing = high wing loading = high approach speed 

More because of the wobbly undercarriage in reality ;) 
This is well worth a read if you want one of the most definitive looks at its story. 

TSR2: Britain's Lost Cold War Strike Aircraft

Book by Tim McLelland

A lot of the research and lessons helped the Tornado development so not as much lost as some sources would have you believe. It looks to have been a pretty good aircraft potentially and the arguments of what it would have become will never be answered because the world that cancelled it might have changed to the polar opposite too. 
I find it a gracefully stark aircraft in white but it lost that grace in camouflage to my eye and looked more like the F111. Mind you I don’t consider the Tornado an elegant aircraft either ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/04/2020 at 11:29, Metr0Land said:

My first flight was Heathrow to Le Bourget with a BEA Vanguard G-APEH

48880872376_fe0e1f5d0c_c.jpgG-APEH Vickers Vanguard 953. Glasgow/Renfrew (GLA/EGPF) 1962 by Martin  Stephen, on Flickr

That image reminds me of my aircraft spotting days in 1960s. Spent hours at London Airport, as Heathrow was known then. I lived in Slough and then Langley and it was a trip on the no 81 LT bus, a red RT, away or, when I had a decent bike, a cycle ride.

Sitting in the Queen’s Building with my sandwiches, a telescope and an air band radio was a great way of passing the time at weekends.

steve

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

All these experimental jets look like a five year olds drawing of a fighter !

I bet the TSR2 was tricky to land as small thin wing = high wing loading = high approach speed 

Specification included Mach 0.95 at 200ft.

I bet that was tricky!

Later variants were to have variable geometry wings.

(Resisting the urge to build my 1:48 Airfix kit.....)

Which also reminded me to look up the BBC documentary about jet aircraft development.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 10:43, Jeff Smith said:

Puzzling - Bombing up looks like a model diorama due to the unfocused bomb.  Not sure about most of the rest, heavily edited and maybe colourised  real pictures?

More importantly, the crew are all too old and well fed!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On Sunday, the 9 ran from Becontree Heath, Dagenham , to Hammersmith, then we'd get the 81 to Heathrow. Normally the 9 ran to Aldgate ,I think. So we'd get the 25, then, the 9 and 81. It usually took about 3 hours, but we went very early in summer, 1st bus out. We cycled it once, took about......................3 hours!

I remember Avro Yorks, Elizabeathans, and Air France Du Ponts. 

Happy days,

Rob

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Although my dad was too young to be in WW2, he did see active service in Korea.

To remember VE Day, I have scanned an old print of his with a late model Spitfire. He didn't note the date or the location but I would guess early to mid 1950s perhaps during the Korean War or shortly after.

694159361_IMG_20200508_0003(3).jpg.780d63dd438abf70b69c0a1f0c002a5c.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Although my dad was too young to be in WW2, he did see active service in Korea.

To remember VE Day, I have scanned an old print of his with a late model Spitfire. He didn't note the date or the location but I would guess early to mid 1950s perhaps during the Korean War or shortly after.

694159361_IMG_20200508_0003(3).jpg.780d63dd438abf70b69c0a1f0c002a5c.jpg

Did your Dad see service elsewhere in the Far East?  Serial looks to be PS854 which saw service in Singapore and Hong Kong but not AFAIK Korea.  It, and PS852 have some claim to fame of sorts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Powles

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Did your Dad see service elsewhere in the Far East?  Serial looks to be PS854 which saw service in Singapore and Hong Kong but not AFAIK Korea.  It, and PS852 have some claim to fame of sorts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Powles

I appreciate that. Thanks very much. Dad did spend time in Hong Kong at Kai Tak, so that could very well be the location.

That does look like another Spitfire at the far end, so maybe that is PS852, which was the record breaker!

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I appreciate that. Thanks very much. Dad did spend time in Hong Kong at Kai Tak, so that could very well be the location.

That does look like another Spitfire at the far end, so maybe that is PS852, which was the record breaker!

And a Vickers Vampire between them.

steve

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, steve1 said:

And a Vickers Vampire between them.

steve

Indeed. I have another one, not scanned yet, taken from slightly further back and in front of the Spitfire is a Mosquito.