The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

Hi paperlad , are you typed on the A350 , I'm supposed to be doing the engineering type course on this in the future ( all 10 weeks ) and would like to know your thoughts on the aircraft in general .

Yepo, been on it since Jan.

I can't give you much of an insight from an engineers perspective but from a pilot view it's ok. There are way too many computers (all monitoring each other) and it's fast, quiet and stable with a very good range. It's easy enough to operate, once you get used to where stuff is 'hidden' in the operating system.

The 350 is clearly still under development by Airbus as there are regular software updates and lots of niggles to contend with on a daily basis.

Our engineers are kept busy with it, after every flight there are multiple dispatch items (affecting the next departure) that are entered in the tech log and need rectifying before the next flight, but as with all things Airbus a simple reset often works! It even has an engineers station, on the flightdeck, with its own computer and screen for systems analysis....similar to the old days of having a flight engineer.

I particularly dislike the Brake to Vacate function (BTV) as its way too aggressive, although it saves on brake wear and keeps the brake temperatures manageable...very important out here in the desert.

I've previously flown the 320 and 330 and now 350, I rekon the 330 is the better one although not as fast or with the range of 350, just nicer to fly.

Where are you doing the course? If you're BA Engineering it could be out here in Doha.

All this talk of range and speed and I'm off to Dubai in a bit.......50 mins each way ;)

Edited by Paperlad

Hi paperlad, thanks for the pictures and information, all looks very interesting , I'm kind of used to software updates as we seemed to be doing them week in week out when I worked the EMB190 . I'm possibly doing the A350 at BA when they start running the courses at TBN training centre early next year (although that could change and I won't do the course at all ...you know how things change ) , I am slated to do the A320 neo though this year .

I haven't worked the A330 although I have friends who love them and rate them as a very reliable aircraft.

A320 CFDS via MCDU seems very basic now !

No no no ..... definitely interesting...please keep them coming , MMMM.. Monarch Boeing 720B ,bit before my time but what a beautiful aircraft in great colours , I remember Monarch working the old Anglo Cargo and Okada 707s when I began at Luton.

I also remember when the A300s turned up and if I recall two pretty much went straight on lease to an Aussie outfit called Compass and in a really dull grey paint scheme .

Great stuff I for one love seeing these pictures, thank you.

I've got about 100 hrs on G-MANF when when I worked for Manx/BRAL, using the famous 'Speedbird' callsign (best callsign in the business) but there was nothing speedy about the ATP...and nothing 'advanced' either ;)

These pictures are great and they bring back bittersweet memories, a lot of great airlines, some I aspired to work for, and now, most consigned to history.

PL.

Edited by Paperlad
  • Like 1

Here's some contemporary tarmac shots.

Bombardier Q400, January 2017, Redmond, OR:

post-1819-0-64050200-1494355726_thumb.jpg

Bombardier Q400 (In San Diego State University colours), February 2014, San Diego, CA

post-1819-0-71284300-1494355802_thumb.jpg

Horizon has these aircraft decorated in the colours of Universities up and down the Western States where they operate.

Three 737s are visible -  Alaska, Southwest and the wing tip from the one I was in, plus a second Q400. The ugly yellow buildings in the background are the US Marine Corps facility. This is were West Coast induction and boot camp takes place.

Boeing 737, Earlier the same day February 2014 in Portland, OR. (Same wingtip.)

post-1819-0-10338100-1494355993_thumb.jpg

What a difference flying south in the winter makes.

• Like 6

Another selection from earlier days in London Luton.

The 737, 4th photo in that group; do you know the airline, because I have one from Cardiff, but with added yellow.

post-4474-0-39189600-1494494119_thumb.jpg

RAF St Athan was just down the road. They gave us complimentary entrance tickets, so I took these around 83/84.

post-4474-0-28363200-1494494272_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-62129300-1494494283_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-86002600-1494494377_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-03023000-1494494389_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-72995700-1494494397_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A Canadian Airline called NORDIC if my memory serves me correctly! 

The 737, 4th photo in that group; do you know the airline, because I have one from Cardiff, but with added yellow.

attachicon.gif715 aircraft4.jpg

RAF St Athan was just down the road. They gave us complimentary entrance tickets, so I took these around 83/84.

attachicon.gifaircraft at st athan.jpg

attachicon.gifhawk at st athan.jpg

attachicon.giflancaster at st athan.jpg

attachicon.gifmil transport at st athan.jpg

attachicon.gifphantom st athan .jpg

Hitchinloco , all those JT8 powered aircraft .....when those were the days , don't suppose you have a picture of the old Air Columbus 727 that used to come in once a week ....we got called out to that a few times !!!

Yes, Pratt had the market sown up on US narrow bodies in those days, however the last new installation in MD-88s (JT8D) was not popular with airlines when introduced as the noise in the back caused many to claim they couldn't sell the last few rows. Nevertheless Delta still has around a hundred and in these days of overbooking every seat is used.....