Farish 64XX

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

6417 arrived the other day and I'm wondering whether to fit the front vacuum pipe. I don't envisage running a ''sandwich'' of autocoaches but just the one, with the loco heading chimney-first. Does anyone have any prototype photos to check this out? TIA.

6417 arrived the other day and I'm wondering whether to fit the front vacuum pipe. I don't envisage running a ''sandwich'' of autocoaches but just the one, with the loco heading chimney-first. Does anyone have any prototype photos to check this out? TIA.

You will not find a photo of a 64xx without a front vacuum pipe.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy. This is a job I always put off, but it's not that bad if you're in the right frame of mind and have the right materials at hand. I've found a pic of 6430 pulling 2 autocoaches in 1964 at Yeovil, clearly showing the pipe. It's in 'The Western since 1948' (Ian Allan).

Job done, using Araldite (I know it's overkill but it's not stringy and very controllable), a pair of no. 7 tweezers, a matchstick (for mixing the glue), a pin (to apply the glue to the fixing holes), some IPA (a good solvent for wet Araldite) and a bright light. I fitted the coupling hook as supplied to the loco front , as I'm not using a front coupling, but cut off the dummy coupling for the back hook as I'll fit a short Nemcoup later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Slightly puzzled that Bachmann haven't released what appears to be an excellent locomotive in either of the pre-WWII liveries. Any ideas on why this might be so?

Cheers

Nigel

(1930s GWR modeller!)

Do you mean a photo of the vacuum pipes or just of a 6400 with a single auto-coach running chimney first? If it is the latter then this was a fairly common occurrence.

6424 at Kidderminster in 1963

1024px-Kidderminster_station%2C_with_aut

6438 Autotrain Machen Station 15:40 19th March 1955

5947219895_1c01432abe_b.jpg

2 shots of the Chalford flyer

28694236855_72985d2bc9_b.jpg

28078467113_431067ab55_h.jpg

• Like 2

Slightly puzzled that Bachmann haven't released what appears to be an excellent locomotive in either of the pre-WWII liveries. Any ideas on why this might be so?

Cheers

Nigel

(1930s GWR modeller!)

Try product number 371-985 :

http://www.hattons.co.uk/61117/Graham_Farish_371_985_Class_64xx_0_6_0PT_Pannier_Tank_6407_in_GWR_Green/StockDetail.aspx

Cheers,

Alan

I think Nigel is referring to the "GREAT WESTERN" which 6400-6409 carried when new or the Shirtbutton monogram that was introduced from 1934 onwards. The "GWR" branding is post-1942.

I bow to your pre-war GW knowledge!

Having said that, this model would be fairly easy to change the branding on - Farish's printing can be got off fairly easily without damaging the underlying paint, and a stop off at Fox Transfers would finish the job.

Cheers,

Alan

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm beginning to wonder when the top-feed was fitted. If it wasn't there pre-war then maybe Farish would need to do a modified body. Was going to check in Pannier Papers but the relevant volume is still out of print.

Nigel

I'm beginning to wonder when the top-feed was fitted. If it wasn't there pre-war then maybe Farish would need to do a modified body. Was going to check in Pannier Papers but the relevant volume is still out of print.

Nigel

Top feeds were not fitted until 1943 which as you suggest might explain the lack of an early Great Western version. Some notes on this and other class variations here:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-64xx.html

Edited by dpgibbons