Timed shuttle for DCC (branch line off main line)

Mallard60022

The problem with the Sapphire ACC and ADCC (asymmetric DCC) is that it is time based hence there is room for creep over many cycles. In fact Hornby suggests that to correct this creep you set it to crash the buffers now and then very slowly to 'reset' the starting point.

Lenz also support ADCC but their asociated decoders are distance based hence more repeatedly accurate. This is well covered on their web site. Several modules are available.

The problem with the Sapphire ACC and ADCC (asymmetric DCC) is that it is time based hence there is room for creep over many cycles. In fact Hornby suggests that to correct this creep you set it to crash the buffers now and then very slowly to 'reset' the starting point.

Lenz also support ADCC but their asociated decoders are distance based hence more repeatedly accurate. This is well covered on their web site. Several modules are available.

I have found the Sapphires do creep. The trick is to program the time and speed to stop the railcar about 10-12 inches short of the buffers which gives about 30-45 minutes of running before crashing into the buffers. The programming is a bit by trial and error. Yes, we've had to reinforce the buffers. Resetting is easily accomplished by pushing, with the large finger from the sky when nobody's looking, the railcar back to its initial position.

MalcolmT

Calgary, Alberta

I have found the Sapphires do creep. The trick is to program the time and speed to stop the railcar about 10-12 inches short of the buffers which gives about 30-45 minutes of running before crashing into the buffers. The programming is a bit by trial and error. Yes, we've had to reinforce the buffers. Resetting is easily accomplished by pushing, with the large finger from the sky when nobody's looking, the railcar back to its initial position.

Whereas using the auto-shuttle feature in a Lenz decoder, and two sets of asymmetric DCC diodes as the end markers, will result in good running indefinitely, with no creeping.

I found it better to not use the "constant stopping distance" in the Lenz decoder (because its implemented terribly badly!), and instead just rely on setting the shuttle to "half speed" on the throttle and use my CV3 and CV4 values to control acceleration and deceleration.

Whereas using the auto-shuttle feature in a Lenz decoder, and two sets of asymmetric DCC diodes as the end markers, will result in good running indefinitely, with no creeping.

I found it better to not use the "constant stopping distance" in the Lenz decoder (because its implemented terribly badly!), and instead just rely on setting the shuttle to "half speed" on the throttle and use my CV3 and CV4 values to control acceleration and deceleration.

Thanks. I'll have to try that.

MalcolmT

Archived