Bavarian beauty

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

Just discovered last Friday that there is a well stocked highstreet shop for continental (and British) models not so far away from where I live. It is called A and H models and is in Brackley and it is really at the highstreet. And of course I had to go there last Saturday to have a look. As usual it was more than a look. They had a Bavarian Pt 2/3 in OBB livery at the sales and I couldn't resist as it is a model which is a bit different. It was also innovative, as there was the possibility for the fireman to walk back into the train and to do also the job of a conductor. Look at the picture of the rear view - it shows the door. Rather small, so the fireman had to crouch down...

As I said it was originally a Bavarian type, but after the second world war four locomotives stayed in Austria. The last of these four was in service until 1967. They were in use at branch lines in lower Austria. 770 86, which is also the number of the model, is today on display in a railway museum in Ampflwang/Upper Austria. On my layout under construction, Donnersbachkogel, this locomotive will be used for museum trains, bringing tourists to the narrow gauge line.

28690733466_1418470815_c.jpg20160802_164613

The model is from Fleischmann and nicely detailed. There is a NEM 651 socket in the cab. As I do not have any DC controllers I looked into my decoder box and found an MX63 from Zimo. This decoder is no longer produced, but this doesn't disturb me. It has 4 function outputs, is regulated and rather small, so no problem to fit under the cab roof of the locomotive.

28105712994_ffc6acaaa6_c.jpg20160802_164630

28439027930_e1ba0fce6d_c.jpg20160802_164652

The flash unfortunately shows clearly the decoder wires. So probably I have to find some black marker pen to colour the wires to make them less disturbing. ..

I have seen reference to the even smaller Glaskasten locos being built for one man operation. I believe that the bunker was designed as a hopper, so that it was the fireman who was surplus to requirements, rather than the guard. The gangway was to enable the guard to get to the footplate in the event of anything happening to the driver. 

Best wishes

Eric  

• RMweb Premium

Lucky boy! I cannot recommend A&H Models highly enough, especially their DCC fitting service. To have them close by is very fortunate...although your bank account may not agree.

Very pretty little engine as well.

Totally agree - may be if they are too close its getting expensive... may be  I upgrade this model to sound -so probably they will make some more money...

Not criticising the posters on the small rear doors, but it seems more likely they are there to be able to use large fire rakes, steam lances and flue brushes into the firebox hole for boiler cleaning.

Tank engines often had these doors or hatches, but access seems some what unlikely as in practice you could exit the side and climb around in an emergency, although a hatch makes it safer. As the hatch on this one is large maybe it was used officially for access.

Stephen

Two locos sent for mods to the hardwiring on Thursday last week, telephone call yesterday and running on my tracks at 10.15 this morning ! Excellent service from A & H.

Although I generally fit decoders myself these were slightly trickier and replaced with Lenz decoders, now running superbly ! One very satisfied customer :)

• RMweb Premium

Not criticising the posters on the small rear doors, but it seems more likely they are there to be able to use large fire rakes, steam lances and flue brushes into the firebox hole for boiler cleaning.

Tank engines often had these doors or hatches, but access seems some what unlikely as in practice you could exit the side and climb around in an emergency, although a hatch makes it safer. As the hatch on this one is large maybe it was used officially for access.

Stephen

No fear, you can criticize - but in this case I also have a source for my wisdom... No guarantee that it is correct, but normally it is as the German train community is quite strong and wouldn't leave something which is wrong in Wikipedia.  

As it looks the 770.86 is one of the locomotives which got an extra coal bunker - therefore only the lower part of the door is visible. So no - the fireman-conductor didn't need to crouch down as the door was no longer operational.

On a slightly different theme, I'm considering converting a Fleischmann coach into one of these possibly using a Tenshodo bogie and small decoder.... Always like the odd ball stuff ! :)

post-20303-0-15829900-1470232466.jpeg

TBA !

• RMweb Premium

I've passed through Brackley a number of times (mostly to have a look at what's left of the old GC station) and never even realised there was a model shop there.

Next time look at high street no 95 - near to a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights. They are there since 11 years. (ok, I found that out only last Friday and I live in Buckinghamshire since 6 years... :scratchhead: )

And don't forget your purse. It looks small from the outside but there are several (small) rooms full of stuff you may want...

Vecchio

• RMweb Premium

On a slightly different theme, I'm considering converting a Fleischmann coach into one of these possibly using a Tenshodo bogie and small decoder.... Always like the odd ball stuff ! :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

TBA !

Look into the Sommerfeldt stuff for a historic pantograph! They look excellent and they work if you want. And of course the community (or minimum I do) is waiting for your building thread...

Look into the Sommerfeldt stuff for a historic pantograph! They look excellent and they work if you want. And of course the community (or minimum I do) is waiting for your building thread...

Thank you, I've already looked at the Sommerfeldt site and found what I need so I'll be ordering from Blackwells soon !

Cheers :)

Build thread ?

Sledge hammer, pliers and glue at the ready LOL

• RMweb Premium

I've passed through Brackley a number of times (mostly to have a look at what's left of the old GC station) and never even realised there was a model shop there.

Watch out Horse, if you do visit, you are unlikely to leave with your wallet intact. #willpowerfail.

The "hatch" is a fall plate that allows safe access from the leading carriage to the engine. Trying to brush the tubes by putting the brush in the firehole would be a waste of time on these engines. The brick arch would get in the way of the brush. Much easier and more sensible to brush the tubes from the smokebox, where you can quickly and easily remove the spark arrestor.

As for trying to clean or drop the fire through a door in the bunker, seriously?

Cheers,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

TBA !

Pardon me for butting in!

I too am rather fond of early electric traction but not as much as this chap;

I can't remember if he has his own website but at least some of his videos may be interesting! He does have at least a couple of similar looking units anyway.

Cheers,

John.

Archived