Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

This looks a very workmanlike project. Looking at it - especially the close-ups - makes me green with envy!

Mind you, just a couple of niggles.

One - if you're looking for historical accuracy the footbridge you see there now wasn't installed until late on in the days of the NYMR. It was added as a solution to the problem of accessing the up line platform when there was a train on the down side. Before that - pre-closure in 1965 - it never really mattered because trains between Whitby and Malton/York were never long enough. Even in steam days the passenger workings only tended to be on average three coaches long. Later there were only two-car diesel multiple units (d.m.u's) that halted close to the barrow crossing that was also used for passengers from the village side.

Two - generally Whitby engines in early BR days tended to be Class J24 for goods traffic, G5 and A8 for passenger workings down Eskdale and towards Pickering or Loftus (until closure in 1958). After closure of Whitby Shed in May, 1959 engines that worked down this way would have been Malton, Scarborough or York allocations. Every now and then specials came from further afield behind Black 5's, and although the length of these was probably more than Goathland's platforms could take, they wouldn't normally have halted here except on signal check.

Class L1 wouldn't have been seen down here on local trains, as they tended to be Darlington allocations and returned there via Battersby and Middlesbrough. After 1958 passenger traffic down from Battersby was d.m.u, pick-ups would have been from York behind J27 or B1.

Just thought this might be useful for you (shame to muck up the image with locos that wouldn't have run this way).

TTFN

alancaster149

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou for taking the time to provide me with this information. To tell the truth I haven't a clue what locos worked the line in revenue earning service. All the motive power you see in the pics comes from my life long collection of RTR offerings and believe me when I say the camera doesn't get pointed at such things as flying bananas and cromptons. 

LNER days........

I have been pondering about back dating the layout for months. Moving the signals should be easy and making the whinestone loading structures would keep me very happy but if the footbridge is removed the platform will look all wrong and there will be a siding short. 

Locomotives.....

The G5s I know about and have made bids on these when they come up for auction on eBay. Baring in mind I have only put together one white metal loco kit and am no engineer of brass! 

The J24 would make a great scratch building project. I have an L1 albeit in the wrong livery (Edit: oh I miss read that or was confused. The loco in my pics is a V3 )  and the latest goodies from Liverpool included a 105 2 car set, the cats wiskers!!

Some of the NYMR preserved locos in the collection include D5061, 76079 mogul, 04 D2207 and 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley which has been in the paint shop for months (Note to self, get it out and get on with it). 

Goathland Layout's New home..... 

Massive plans and undertakings are afoot. The dry wallers are booked for Saturday next week, now that the building has passed electrical inspection and had the walls insulated. 

There's not any modeling going on due to a damp and structural problem in the living room which is taking up all my time and energy.

Happy Halloween.

Sasquatch.  Scaring the living daylights out of the trick or treaters. :wild:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I look in on your thread all the time and really admire your work. I say backdate it and have a go at brass kits; if I can do it, anyone can and there is a wealth of knowledge and advice available on here if you get stuck. Chances are that Paul (Wordsell Forever) will have built one of the kits you would end up buying :)

Funnily enough, whenever I see your thread pop onto the front page, I always wonder if something has gone amiss due to the sad face next to the thread title. If you click on the sad face, it brings up options to choose another photo. You may like the sad face though :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the encouragement. There's a brass kit in the post of a D&S GN 6wheeled CCT. This is a mighty huge step. The Bill Bedford NE bogie full brake I had sitting in my kits box for years got put on eBay as it looked too hard but that was 10 years ago now!

This is another scratch build.

post-8964-0-86129300-1383294765.jpg

And this guy never looks happy

post-8964-0-08970600-1383294832.jpg

• Like 2

I look in on your thread all the time and really admire your work. I say backdate it and have a go at brass kits; if I can do it, anyone can and there is a wealth of knowledge and advice available on here if you get stuck. Chances are that Paul (Wordsell Forever) will have built one of the kits you would end up buying :)

I'm with Jason. Kit No.2 will be so much better than kit No.1 and kit No.3 will be better still than kit No.2 (and so on). I found brass kits tough at first but have worked out my own way of doing them now. Clean metal, hot iron - and FLUX! Love the fish van ;)  

• Like 1

We (edit= Sasquatch, Cgraham, Silky_Jack, Mkwolf1877, Kal and Jaz) know that most of the NYM footbridges appeared around mid 80s. Which could be a dilemma, and removal of the footbridge is essential for anyone tied to the era only aspect. But Heartbeat has the footbridge in, Harry Potter (ok modern day) has the footbridge in, and it does seem to lack something when you remove it. I think it more likely to just lift the footbridge if you want to run those earlier locos and photograph them for that purpose and then put the footbridge back in. As for the early trains they are definitely a nice to have, but for us (Arboretum Valley) we have so many things we need to do, and we are reflecting the filming and tv aspects that the footbridge is an essential product. 

Silky_Jack who is not adding Harry Potter, Heartbeat et is more likely to be effected by this aspect.Although I do not think he has limited himself to a specific date.

edited to add......

It is possible to debate this endlessly, but with so much present day reference matter, I think in the fullness of time, say 20 or so years, not adding the footbridge is likely to be considered lacking. With todays technology, our offerings are likely to stand the test of time. As such for me, the footbridge is in, making it removable for the odd picture, an acceptable solution. 

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Today I opened picasa on the lab top and found a file called "Dads Layout" from 2012 hidden in Mrs. Sasqutches files. So here are some more pics.

That foot bridge again with Cleggie from Last Of The Summer Wine using it. 

post-8964-0-54087500-1383331904_thumb.jpg

I've no space to put the loader structures!

post-8964-0-61668000-1383332099_thumb.jpg

Nice shot my boy got.

post-8964-0-08043200-1383332223_thumb.jpg

Most of the stock here is either kit or scratch built.

post-8964-0-28402900-1383332245_thumb.jpg

Tunnel mouth. Spot the wild life?

post-8964-0-47685100-1383332366_thumb.jpg

Aaarrhhh...... I'm outta here....

post-8964-0-33242600-1383332551_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now thats just creepy. Very cool!  but creepy. :scared:

We stayed in and watch the best of Wil Farrell! 

A couple of years ago we did the sixties Batman & Robin, over weight and outta fit style!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Been a while since my last update. Goathland remains in storage and will not be making an appearance at this years local show due to too much being on my plate.

The garage conversion had a real boost today with the help from two family members who are pro drywallers. Thanks guys! I owe you both.

Last week.................

post-8964-0-12061200-1384048825_thumb.jpg

8AM this morning.......................

post-8964-0-20922800-1384048846_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-19870200-1384048866_thumb.jpg

3PM this afternoon.......   Magic!!!!!

post-8964-0-52556600-1384048886_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-54436500-1384048903_thumb.jpg

And yes, Dumb arse has gone and gotten a pannel saw......   

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

Sasquatch

post 236

That is looking absolutely wonderful, make a nice kitchen............ :sungum:

poat 233

Loved the creature from the depths, what type of bug is it, it looks massive.

Love the tunnel mouth, only shame you cut off that gorgeous Abbey.

Clay

Wow I would never think to put so much time effort into something that would rot, but that is a first class piece of modelling.Bet the neighbours and trick or treaters were really impressed.

Definitely on the right track, from experience, if this is your first layout, allow things to be improved, we had to rip ours to pieces as it was all glued rather well in situ.

A quick hit will be the flowerbeds, our initial attempt was some cork cut to size the edge painted white and some green stuff.

You have the Bachmann station and considering the orientation of your photo I think it is the best station. Just love the 3 little buckets and fine details.

You don't have the platform for the sleeping coaches, can you still squeeze it in?

Nicely coloured platform walls though, much more correct than our original bright red bricks.

Definitely on the right track, from experience, if this is your first layout, allow things to be improved, we had to rip ours to pieces as it was all glued rather well in situ.

A quick hit will be the flowerbeds, our initial attempt was some cork cut to size the edge painted white and some green stuff.

You have the Bachmann station and considering the orientation of your photo I think it is the best station. Just love the 3 little buckets and fine details.

You don't have the platform for the sleeping coaches, can you still squeeze it in?

Nicely coloured platform walls though, much more correct than our original bright red bricks.

Still a lot to do, however I'm quite pleased with the platforms & walls. I actually went with the "new Hornby" in the end, but built my own platforms! I have got some fire buckets & will get round to fitting them. Got a bit of work to do for the sleeping coaches, I'm very tight on space so I'll have to see. I've got something up my sleeve for the flower beds, the pots are only temporary!

Here's the station from the other end:post-8977-0-00575700-1384120367_thumb.jpg

And the building on the other side:post-8977-0-13419800-1384120378_thumb.jpg

Should really start my own thread!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice lighting, especially like those lamps. Your platforms have turned out really well, bet you're proud of them. I can see that you chose to use peco stone sheet same as me. Mine were quite hard to do on the slope and curve. I had fun with the ramps!

Slaters do midland stile ramp fencing BTW.

Nice lighting, especially like those lamps. Your platforms have turned out really well, bet you're proud of them. I can see that you chose to use peco stone sheet same as me. Mine were quite hard to do on the slope and curve. I had fun with the ramps!

Slaters do midland stile ramp fencing BTW.

Cheers, I'm really pleased with how the platforms have turned out, thanks for you tips! I'll have a look at the slaters fencing! The lamps are from DCC Concepts, I'm very pleased with them. Think the yellow LED looks good in the small white platform building but looks a bit "green" in the main building so may change for a white one.

I can't believe how much fencing there is & how many gates there are!

• RMweb Premium

Sasquatch

post 236

That is looking absolutely wonderful, make a nice kitchen............ :sungum:

poat 233

Loved the creature from the depths, what type of bug is it, it looks massive.

Love the tunnel mouth, only shame you cut off that gorgeous Abbey.

Clay

Wow I would never think to put so much time effort into something that would rot, but that is a first class piece of modelling.Bet the neighbours and trick or treaters were really impressed.

Yes I will make a nice kitchen in there, first up will be new five pannel doors for the house and the living room panneling with a pair of glazed sliding doors to match. Then a mahogany bathroom vanity etc etc. The Garage is to be used as my wood work shop for this winter as it is close to the house. We plan to convert the barn into the shop in the spring leaving the garage free for the layout!!! 

I should model the road bridge in the same way I did the tunnel and do away with those peco ones huh?

Not sure what bug that was, tile-horned-prionus  I think. We do have some big-uns, luckily not the spiders......."I don't like spiders"............ "can   we    go   n now".  (R. Grint).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This week the layouts have ben retrieved from storage so I might put Goathland together for a quick photo session now that I've mastered the manual settings on my camera.

A few days rest is needed from all the renovation work as I've worn myself out and need to recharge my batteries.

This photo oppertunity seems like a nice relaxing way to spend the afternoon. Let's see how this pans out.

Sasquatch. A rather excited one at that!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our internet has slowed down and this is going to take all night.

It is very nice to have the layouts out of storage. With a little help from SWMBO I have assembled the main 3 boards in the living room to bring you some long over due images.

The lighting was very bad! Enjoy. Remember to click on the images . 

Here's Bachmann V2 60860 Durham School on the viaduct. This livery on the V2 looks the dogs dodahs!

post-8964-0-95365000-1385623589_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-04564300-1385623810_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4