Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

How did a Great Western coach body find its way to West Yorkshire?

Yes yes, well spotted.

Now I suppose I'll have to scratch build a Great Northern one!

Perhaps you could help identify it.

1517941_883793195011209_6811741451323811064_n.jpg.30c38ba09e18eece1b7e3e71053de599.jpg

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
Add content
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes yes, well spotted.

Now I suppose I'll have to scratch build a Great Northern one!

Perhaps you could help identify it.

1517941_883793195011209_6811741451323811064_n.jpg.30c38ba09e18eece1b7e3e71053de599.jpg

Regards Shaun

Sorry I’ve no problem idea.  You best post that photo on a LNER forum. All I can say it’s not GWR.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick update for now. It's always a busy time of year outside around here which hasn't left much time or energy for modeling.

More fencing and brambles have been added to the right hand lift off section which I have placed back on the layout.

I did have a few very interesting running sessions using the triangle to run engines around passenger trains and running those in and out of Bradford. The concept of the double revering loop and passing loops between different sections of Grim UP North is proving to be a lot of interesting fun.

A few pics to oggle then...

DSCF1189.JPG.f9885322919f0176495491070d5449bf.JPG

DSCF1175.JPG.d720429ef72a75d711d0deda33965bd4.JPG

DSCF1188.JPG.a95968154e3e386c437a5a9ea907795a.JPG

Hope that you are all safe and well

Squatch

• Like 19

I love the long shadows from the natural low light, Shaun.

That is 10,000% more photogenic than the anodyne fill-flash photography that so many of the "gurus" in today's modelling mags seem to prefer...

Well done!

Cheers

Scott

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jukebox said:

I love the long shadows from the natural low light, Shaun.

That is 10,000% more photogenic than the anodyne fill-flash photography that so many of the "gurus" in today's modelling mags seem to prefer...

Well done!

Cheers

Scott

1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

How often do you see the sun 'pop' out for a few minutes on a wet thundery day. perfect.

manna

When the evening delivers moody conditions the first thing I do is reach for my camera.

Occasionally there's a weather front gets stuck this side of the ridge and the sun briefly floods us with the most magical light as it drops below the cloud line before setting behind the mountain.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Folks...

Apologies for the serious lack of modeling on this thread of late. Problem is that there's far too many huge 1/1 scale projects on the go here such as a much needed new deck, chicken coops, grow beds and the disaster which was our laundry house.

I did however have a couple of interesting running sessions. Trains leaving Bradford usually need a fresh loco and on arrival at Queensbury can have that engine reversed there using the triangle. In fact it's possible to do this with two trains. Unprototypical but very interesting operation.  

No post would be complete without a train so here's a V3 tank on a Bradford Exchange - Queensbury -  Bradford Exchange special.

67673 arriving at Queensbury with a twin third and 5 comp. brake.

982874447_V3special(1).JPG.d05a59413eda48d650990e462e2356ec.JPG

reversing onto the Halifax line.

1906761602_V3special(2).JPG.545b353d128700cb3b6cf3e409eb3e5f.JPG

Waiting for an O1 hauled freight to clear the road.

314951005_V3special(3).JPG.50758a94203906a5aa7b0dc9516756ce.JPG

Backing up to the tunnel mouth.252242179_V3special(4).JPG.71ab1b42c2f88191b12f1a10e3b74bb6.JPG

After using the Halfax = Keighley road the tank engine backs up to its train (right way around).

166121039_V3special(5).JPG.85178797890208dde8ab54e11b9e6cae.JPG

Here the train is running wrong road through the loops.

1975807547_V3special(6).JPG.21758806b92f0997ab1bfa63404b2579.JPG

And coasting down grade back on the correct down road on the approach into Exchange.

1881646739_V3special(7).JPG.8249ba740ffc25ba28e1f79fe9ef19b6.JPG

Finally coming to a halt in platform 4.

811330692_V3special(8).JPG.3c79a8fc6e65309242c2785933223cb1.JPG

Hope that you are all keeping out of trouble...

Regards Shaun

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Looking good Shaun, and good to see you back mate.

I hope your all keeping safe and well.

Hi Andy.

Thanks mate. I've been itching to post something, apart from needing a break from all the work going on here I would rather be modeling!

Everything seems to go wrong in threes. starting with the clutch on my truck, then the wish dosher followed by me falling through the rotten back deck. Luckily my friend across the road is a master mechanic who fixed my truck in exchange for a new coop and some other work. Dish washer was an easy fix but the deck has proved to be a major construction project. 

Whats worse is the washroom. which has been destroyed by termites and carpenter ants. So far this week I have done seven 12 hour days on it rebuilding from the inside. Mrs. S. needs to use the washer and dryer for her work each day but luckily she is down to 2 days per week because of the COVID. It's a nightmare project!!! I'll post up before and after pics as I'm sure everyone will find it interesting. At least we're sleeping well:lol:

How's life in Hampshire? Have you visited any of the preserved railways near there, the Swanage line is well worth a visit.

Regards Shaun

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Andy.

Thanks mate. I've been itching to post something, apart from needing a break from all the work going on here I would rather be modeling!

Everything seems to go wrong in threes. starting with the clutch on my truck, then the wish dosher followed by me falling through the rotten back deck. Luckily my friend across the road is a master mechanic who fixed my truck in exchange for a new coop and some other work. Dish washer was an easy fix but the deck has proved to be a major construction project. 

Whats worse is the washroom. which has been destroyed by termites and carpenter ants. So far this week I have done seven 12 hour days on it rebuilding from the inside. Mrs. S. needs to use the washer and dryer for her work each day but luckily she is down to 2 days per week because of the COVID. It's a nightmare project!!! I'll post up before and after pics as I'm sure everyone will find it interesting. At least we're sleeping well:lol:

How's life in Hampshire? Have you visited any of the preserved railways near there, the Swanage line is well worth a visit.

Regards Shaun

Cheers Shaun, and it sounds like a real nightmare mate. I don't like Ants at the best of times, but Termite blighters would be an Ant to much.

Swanage is a bit to far at the moments, but Dee and I had a drive out to the Mid Hants Watersress Line a few weeks ago as it's only about 20 minutes drive, but it was still all shut up, although I believe it's now opened up.

Keep up the good work, we have some Decking to be done here in a few weeks, but at the moment Timber prices and Decking in particular are still at a premium so we're waiting for a Sale to come on.

All the best, keep well and stay safe.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/08/2020 at 01:15, Alister_G said:

Nice to see a post from you Shaun mate, good luck with all your projects and I hope you get a bit more time for modelling soon.

Al.

Everything has ground to a halt due to an elbow injury Al. All made worse by using an electric jackhammer breaking up the concrete to install a new 3" grey water sewer line.  Yesterday I could hardly lift a cuppa and ended up getting an x-ray down at urgent care (I must say I was very anxious going into a hospital but apart from the staff I was the only silly bu99er in there).

Some anti-inflammatory cream and ten days rest, what an excellent chance to do some light modeling.

The air brush isn't too heavy so last night I sprayed some coach under frames with grimy black.

The top two are for a twin set, then there's five for a GE qunituplet set which I've had forever  and a scratch built one for a LNER bogie CCT.

864384792_Twinsetunderframe.JPG.f45058d6c37a7a6bb3cb67335a5b53eb.JPG

1323467040_LNERQuintunderframe.JPG.def1b05f61fc4fd53a20ffadc5ff5f53.JPG

558473334_BogieCCT(1).JPG.e41e7cf98d722032bc7287f54ab49d36.JPG

26120573_BogieCCT(2).JPG.fd2c92bc2063a98dcf5b0b01ce1062d8.JPG

Here's some of the termite damage I've been dealing with...

1129257132_Termitedamage.JPG.295c6814724d81fe116f31c4e4e6a2b2.JPG

...and the repairs.

Repair.JPG.bc4439e4a51e8978d797e416d9064d6c.JPG

Finally this little chap who wandered in with his mom while I was taking the pics.

Fawn.JPG.cd8464f5f52cb9ab8d2afb5e017a3b19.JPG

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
Pore english
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about the elbow mate, but glad you're managing to keep some modelling going. I'm very glad we mostly don't have termites and timber buildings here, that looks like a never ending battle.

And your visitor is worth an Aaaaw!

Al.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Finally this little chap who wandered in with his mom while I was taking the pics.

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Did you shoot his/her mum?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Sorry to hear about the elbow mate, but glad you're managing to keep some modelling going. I'm very glad we mostly don't have termites and timber buildings here, that looks like a never ending battle.

Al.

There is always something that needs exterminating....This year everybody has had Yellow jacket problems.

Yellow jackets are nasty carnivorous wasps that build big nest systems and will sting if at all threatened. We had (still have) a nest under the dog  house right near our back door. My ingenious trap was to shove a small piece of mosquito netting between the nozzle and pipe of the shop vac, poke that right up to their hive portal and wait 15 minutes. On switching off the machine the nozzle was submerged into a bucket of soapy water. Up to 100 of the spiteful little blighters could caught and dealt with at once. We've caught 1000s.

The dear are most welcome. there are about 2 dozen come by each day because we have a nice green front and back yard! The fawns came late this year.    

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Did you shoot his/her mum?

See above...

31 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Did you shoot yours??

Julian

Now now:nono:

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jukebox said:

The potential for this question to be misunderstood is proportional to whether the shooter was using a rifle, or a telephoto lens...  

Must be referring to a rifle... they were so close I could have switched to macro! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Someone was asking so here goes.

Always one for being a little ambitious the Grim up North plan has evolved since I acquired the large garage or the warehouse as Andy christened it. The latest moment of madness was more of a discovery. While browsing the web for modeling stuff I stumbled across some 1/72 castle models from a Ukrainian war-gaming manufacturer. To be honest I have always fancied the idea of castles on layouts. Done right they can add a great deal of interest. Dunster has a castle which I attempted to paint onto the back scene. 

DSCF0760.JPG.e154c4ce6f10ae4a59b70bc1a32bf801.JPG

So on to how I might add one to GUN without it spoiling the mill town atmosphere. The answer lay in the only small space that I hadn't planned to build anything into, the corner by the abbey tunnel. This is where the line from Goathland meets the line from Queensbury and becomes a 4 track line. This  was intended to be a narrow lift up section by the door but now the layout is half built the wrong way around the small area has been freed up. There's just enough space to make a small scenic section to hide the unprototyical point work which can be tied into the abbey hillside. On which I now plan to build a small ruined castle!

Something along these lines.

1634999171_Cardcastle.jpg.24cd088055167e23f2065aa7270850fa.jpg

It should blend in quite pleasantly with the touristy corner of the layout.

DSCF5170.JPG.31774adbf7dc7f9de30a43e471970c21.JPG

even adding to the atmosphere.

1169555803_Loomingeveningabbey.JPG.20591812534b51bd87d32fc8c110937c.JPG

lastly a quick sketch up to show how it will fit.

GUNplan2.JPG.d78c777a3f89a530e6c71defa58d5a61.JPG

Red shows the new scenic section, blue the extent of the new 8' board, yellow a small section to enable the continuation of the road (Grey line) from the Birch Hall Inn on Goathland and Green the lift off abbey section. On the long sweeping curves I plan to build some more modern type council housing complete with washing lines and veggie gardens. So that should work with a castle ruin too.

I did actually start construction of the new boards but the project has been put on hold due to more pressing matters.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
To sneak in a picture of Bachmanns exquisit class 3MT.
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Morning Shaun, I love that Castle idea mate. Layouts never stop evolving, and yours is a classicic example of give you and inch, and you take a mile, or now it seems, give you a Warehouse and you take a Hanger. Just watch out for all those now unwanted 747's mate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2