Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

The airbrush wasn't behaving at all today. I still don't know what went wrong  .Maybe it was the model-master acrylic and thinner mix or a blocked nozzle. First I had to deal with the air line connection popping off.

The paint just wasn't coming out but after a string of four letter words things improved and a nice flow of paint ensued.

Rather happy with the results.

257095108_Ends(2).JPG.50e2680b4f6869b3b448f4346695d527.JPG

767711853_Ends(1).JPG.63ba234770637da9ddd647e7433f468b.JPG

1046486414_516.JPG.c4270c1c3d8181959ef8e5aade01d90b.JPG

143783369_BGunderframe.JPG.1b03703cd1227d50f3cf87c0eb5af3fd.JPG

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ballasting has commenced on the layout this week. I splashed out on some Ballast Magic and with little else to do vacuumed up all the ballast that had sat between the sleepers for almost a year. Not that I’m lazy mind, but because I chose to use fine ballast  found out that the usual method of spraying watered down glue on it afterwards caused the tiny granules to blow about and ride on the surface tension of the solution.

A piece of old T-shirt was placed between the nozzle and pipe of the vacuum to catch the old ballast and I collected it in a tub and mixed it 7 parts ballast to 1 part powdered glue and spread it once again.

1844358409_Queensburyballast(1).JPG.97ac6bb06ece3260c91f0212aee38fe4.JPG

It might be worth mentioning how I spread it.

First it is sprinkled on with an old spice bottle and poured if necessary with the little sauce tub held squeezed to form a spout.

99551294_Tools(2).JPG.2be96ddce0d53e9f0a9d7be11ff13711.JPG

This rather stiff inch wide brush is then used to brush away the surplus and even things out.

1857926725_Tools(1).JPG.0d9b7cc3aec06fa2ebfa68097ef7a7aa.JPG

I have found it important to use a back and forth motion otherwise the ballast builds up on one side of all the sleepers. The brush is also used to clean excess stones off of the chairs using the same motion but held lengthwise to the rails and to form a shoulder. Lastly the cunning bit is to remove all the strays by rubbing the sleepers with nothing more than a forefinger! Then the whole lot is then soaked with the mister.

Unfortunately I can’t say that I was happy, as the ballast still seemed to be quite loose the following morning. I reread the instructions and misted a section once more. This seemed improve matters.

On the next attempt at the second side of the triangle I upped the ballast glue ratio to 10-1 and gave two good soakings with the mister. It’s better but I have decided to try over spraying a section with a PVA water mix. Anyway, not bad for a couple of short evenings work.

213141122_Queensburyballast(2).JPG.96eafe7de07085de46ca607d46c02d38.JPG

1112168641_Queensburyballast(3).JPG.570aa310003f92c0f282982f3a79433a.JPG

1116221633_Queensburyballast(4).JPG.91064cccd0908554d3a15f93b8f1fe08.JPG

Next I have to tackle 5 uncouplers. A job that’s been put off for lack of casting supplies so I just built some up with scrap sleepers, plastic strip, card and ballast. The result looks like this.

1922152520_Queensburyballast(5).JPG.823fd2392a32501c738d2054cbda2af0.JPG

When. If ever my arm gets better I’ll get under the layout and hook them up.

Two views of Goathland I took aswell.

1442335844_Layout(2).JPG.c19f103cab735a7fb63a499694ceb8c2.JPG

986360591_Layout(1).JPG.4b79ef943e3ea1af0e6465b14719ec51.JPG

And...

Lastly a couple of locomotive portraits, both Thompson types new to the roster.

B1.JPG.98d8d2a9721eb0c3de44aabf837edac3.JPG

O1.JPG.a8761f0bfdafc2680769985d48904d4d.JPG

Shaun

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 380John said:

Hi Squatch, 

Fantastic shots and descriptions once again. I'm very intrigued in your uncoupler design. Will it be "powered" or manual operation? 

Cheers, 

John 

Hi John.

Check out my blog

It's all rather cheap and nasty but has worked faultlessly on Dunster for over ten years. The use of the Ratio signal operating levers gives the system a nice gentle action which is also highly controllable.

Hope that you find that useful

Regards Shaun

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi John.

Check out my blog

It's all rather cheap and nasty but has worked faultlessly on Dunster for over ten years. The use of the Ratio signal operating levers gives the system a nice gentle action which is also highly controllable.

Hope that you find that useful

Regards Shaun

Thanks Shaun 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Couple of quick posts from me today.

Firstly I trust that you're all keeping well.

Secondly due to recent upgrades which included a very annoying pop up ad, I've just simply kept off of RMweb. To stay calm!

However this morning I chose to stop moaning and do something about it.

Adblock plus provides options for different devices and browsers... and it's free. Even speeds things up a bit!!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

It's no loss to any of the advertisers on my account because we've no money to splash about, especially on gadgets, camper vans or quad bikes etc. etc..

My tennis elbow has not gotten any better because I keep having to do stuff. Unfortunately that now includes using simple modeling tools such as a Stanley knife. All repetitive tasks must be kept to a minimum and that includes typing and using a mouse. However I have now discovered that one can waffle on endlessly into the voice recognition facility on whatsapp on ones phone, email it to ones self then copy and paste it all here.

Warning: I can waffle on a bit according to SWMBO.

regards Shaun     

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Back last year I purchased a couple of used Hornby N2 locos as chassis donors for N1s.

One of these demonstrated  a nasty kick. A pause to every wheel revolution. Frustrated with this I decided to act.

The powerful $1. +2.75 specs came into play. Turns out the problem was a proud axle head on the center wheel set. The fix was simple. I reamed out a small brass washer to fit between the wheel crank and con-rod on the crank pin.

The body of said locomotive has been used for spares and an old Mainline body was put on the chassis because the Mainline chassis wasn't such a good runner.

Enter apple green  9522.

DSCF1487.JPG.7231031605c47282c03128a0c5cec796.JPG

It use to be my favorite loco until I ran it into the ground as a teenager and destroyed any chance of fixing it by removing the motor magnet as a clueless novice of a twenty something.

The price tag of £14.95  on the box  proves how long I've had it, so with a spare chassis available thought it time to see if things could be revived. 

I started be cleaning the other noisy motor and re-lubing it. I found some wear and plastic fatigue on the Airfix chassis bottom so replaced it with a Hornby one. I was quite delighted to find that this ran well apart from a bit of noise which is  much less evident in reverse for some reason. It's actually quieter than most of my Bachmann 0-6-0 locos!

Now it was running sweetly I decided to detail it up a bit. The best improvement to be made is painting the very plastic looking wheels to match that of the body.  Hard to accomplish given the eyes sensitivity to green.

Complicated even more by the confusion over LNER apple green a colour that seems to vary from region to region, between locos, sunlight and manufacturers attempts to reproduce it.

In the darkest corners of my paint stores I found lurking not one but two very old intriguing looking paints.

A jar of Railmatch #621LNER Darlington green and a long forgotten Humbrol tin of HR101 Green???

DSCF1489.JPG.ccdc5899e243c462cbeaa009a89c0427.JPG

Wow Humbrol what has happened to your paint of late. HR101 must be at least 40 years old and despite of being used on more than one occasion in a past life is still in prime condition. Unlike the two tins I brought last year in Eugene which have been used once and since thrown out!

Anyway I mixed some of the two together until I got a close match and set about brushing each spoke.

The improvement speaks for itself and if you forgo any other modifications to one of these, you'll be forgiven on account of them not being noticed in lieu of staring at the wheels.

DSCF1490.JPG.18aa32a901e9b32f8b4e26dca15cc64b.JPG

So far I have also managed to replace and paint the vacuum pipes, add lamp irons, lamp, driver, lifting holes in the frame fronts and a couple of inside motion picked out in red.

DSCF1492.JPG.ae8c28b227330cd95caa77308fb2773b.JPG

I'm off to give it another run with a pair of faux teak Thompson suburban coaches.

What a satisfying little project.

Squatch. (For-warned about the ability to waffle)

Edited by Sasquatch
mischief managed
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

G'Day Folks

Amazing what a couple of hours work will do to a Loco.

But you need to run 9522, with a couple of 'Pullmans'.

Just managed to pick up another N2 body, another N1, may take to the rails one-day.

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Amazing what a couple of hours work will do to a Loco.

But you need to run 9522, with a couple of 'Pullmans'.

Just managed to pick up another N2 body, another N1, may take to the rails one-day.

manna

Hi manna

Might just add some decent boiler bands, another crew member, some brass valves etc and make up some brake-rodding later. It might benefit from some brighter insignia and a light coat of gloss varnish too!

Then it might look worthy of some Pullmans.

I've got a picture of an N1 hauling a couple on the Bradford section of the Yorkshire Pullman  somewhere.

Squatch

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Excellent Shaun, I hope the pain will soo go, and as for the Adds, no comment, other than, another has just popped up AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:spiteful:

The frustration of not being able to do anything is worse than the pain. We've been struggling to put a window back in and hang a temporary door in the laundry room. At least the plumbing got done and the machines are back in and working. Ieva's step dad finished the drywall too. I wont be raking any leaves up though!

That blocker worked instantly on the pop ups mate. They have other versions besides firefox. 

Regards Shaun

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to hear about the Elbow, have you been given / used anything to rub on it?

It looks as if the fires are pretty much finished, or is that the press, over here, just switching to Boris Baiting.

Julian

P.S.  I use the freebie Ad Blocker and that seems to work, too.  It's currently got 3 prevented.  As someone else mentioned, I have no conscience, as I have never bought anything off a pop-up in 31 years of computer time, so they aren't losing anything from me, anyway.  And as for the press wanting me to contribute to their berating blether .........   **********!!

Umm, that feels better.   :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Couple of quick posts from me today.

Firstly I trust that you're all keeping well.

Secondly due to recent upgrades which included a very annoying pop up ad, I've just simply kept off of RMweb. To stay calm!

However this morning I chose to stop moaning and do something about it.

Adblock plus provides options for different devices and browsers... and it's free. Even speeds things up a bit!!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

It's no loss to any of the advertisers on my account because we've no money to splash about, especially on gadgets, camper vans or quad bikes etc. etc..

My tennis elbow has not gotten any better because I keep having to do stuff. Unfortunately that now includes using simple modeling tools such as a Stanley knife. All repetitive tasks must be kept to a minimum and that includes typing and using a mouse. However I have now discovered that one can waffle on endlessly into the voice recognition facility on whatsapp on ones phone, email it to ones self then copy and paste it all here.

Warning: I can waffle on a bit according to SWMBO.

regards Shaun     

I installed Adblock this evening, following your recommendation. It seems to do exactly what it promised.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

ABP does indeed do what it promises. I've used it for years now with no issues at all. With this in mind I too can recommend its use. It is also selective in that you can allow adds to either be on or off on a site by site basis. I started using it for a certain browser game I have been playing for years it is supposedly free to play but to play without adds you have to pay for an addon ABP negates this and I've used it ever since. 

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

LO AND BEHOLD...

Metcalfe Castle Kits Range

metcalfecastle_web1.jpg.97ac9ff6c71a4c4340463928ade48aab.jpg

Four modular kits expected November! I do like that castle hall.

G'Day Folks

The way you started the post, I thought it was another Advert !!!!!!!!!

manna

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

The way you started the post, I thought it was another Advert !!!!!!!!!

manna

It is an advert. A free one for them.

Not something I would normally do but I did write them a very nice email some time last year suggesting just such a model and proposed that it will also appeal to war-gammers and their like!

Nice one Metcalfe:sungum::sungum::sungum:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

LO AND BEHOLD...

Metcalfe Castle Kits Range

metcalfecastle_web1.jpg.97ac9ff6c71a4c4340463928ade48aab.jpg

Four modular kits expected November! I do like that castle hall.

I can almost feel a cameo layout coming on, with that gatehouse as a tunnel mouth...

• Like 4