Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps...and please keep the humor coming. Mrs S. has been trying to keep me on the bright side too.

We watched a few British comedy shows on Youtube via the xBox. My top three are Suits You Sir with Johny Depp,

Something Wrong with My Blackberry (Ronnie Corbet and Harry Enfield) and Mr Beans precious mini getting crushed by that tank, enough to make anyone wet themselves laughing.

While we're on the subject of crusty coaches I finished the sides for that twin set. The colour has improved with a coat of Model Master gloss lacquer.

DSCF1293.JPG.ccfc7e29d990d4c290093f7a25845c5e.JPG

I have since found out that this pair were built with steel paneling but that's really hard to tell from this 70 year old photograph.

1126366326_N1andtwinset..jpg.ff2045ac17028a2dfc4f155e37ebd3dd.jpg

There is quite clearly a center height bead in the lower panels which does not appear in pictures of other Gresley steel twins. I'm sure my set will look the dogs dodahs behind an N1 on the layout. "Don'ta be affraida" it's not too late to model the destination board racks for the Dracula Express branding.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I have since found out that this pair were built with steel paneling but that's really hard to tell from this 70 year old photograph.

According to the late Chris Bishop, writing in issue 186 of the LNER Study Group Newsletter, the first six of dia 310 built in 1941 were steel-panelled as per the official diagram, but the other half-dozen were built in teak.

In compiling his carriage monographs, now published by the LNER Society, Chris Bishop had access to record cards which were not, I think, available to Harris.

The vehicle in the prototype photograph is clearly wooden-bodied, and if I have read the number correctly, your model is right in being wooden-panelled.

D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for your reply Darryl. I have studied  Gresley coaching stock very closely over the years and would not confess to being an expert on the subject but can usually see whats what.  The choice of number was an educated guess in that if there were three sets built they were probably destined to be for the Queensbury services where three trains were timed to arrive there all at once enabling passengers to change effectively providing 6 routes with just the three trains !

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Also I noted in Michael Harris's list that an order was placed in 1940 for these coaches and cancelled. Built during 1941 steel would have been in short supply  for coach construction!  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts  go out today to the 1000s of people of Phoenix and Talent Oregon who lost their homes and businesses last night and to the 82000 residents of Medford who have been issued an evac notice.

5% humidity and strong easterly  winds mean we have another 24 hours of terror to get through lets hope everyone keeps their cool and finds saftey away from the upper Rogue Valley

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

15 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

My thoughts today go out today to the 1000s of people of Phoenix and Talent Oregon who lost their homes and businesses last night and to the 82000 residents of Medford who have been issued an evac notice.

5% humidity and strong easterly  winds mean we have another 24 hours of terror to get through lets hope everyone keeps their cool and finds saftey away from the upper Rogue Valley

I hope you and your family, pets included can stay safe mate.

Really thinking of you all.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

We are fine thank you Andy. Just choked watching youtube of the damage.  Lots of people we know have lost their home or business. The Fire started in Ashland and burnt it's way along Interstate 5 (I5) northwards between HWY99 for 14 miles then the wind changed and blew it into the two towns. There is also a fire down HWY62 past Eagle point about 10000 achres. There's not many trunk roads here and they are all choka block. Various fires were breaking out across Medford last night but the crews managed to contain them.

We watched the live steam video footage up until 12am.

Fire.JPG.9db0933474cd4fca40ee4d7423f4008e.JPG

EhbhKUKVgAAB0zB.jpg.e73aea408c63034b25a9282155a42c0a.jpg

initialresponse202009081400.png.6218116eb40dac166ae50d8443a5d1f7.png

Very sad.

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys apart from the smoke we're fine.

Yet another fire broke out yesterday in Central Point. It was a very dangerous situation near the expo next to I5.

The expo center was being used as the evac point for the people from Talent and Phoenix it was at full capacity.

Traffic on I5 was halted and backed up for miles. The emergency services  were faultless in tackling the fire which quick destroyed several structures.

There is a large forest fire burning near Eagle Point and the town of Shady Cove further up HWY62 was evacuated

Yesterday.

The damage to the City of Phoenix, a densely populated poorer suburb of Medford is indescribable. 

Shaun

• Friendly/supportive 8

Given how many trees are still standing, it rather puts cheaper, thin, wooden plank housing into a similar perspective, too.   Such a dreadful sight with appalling consequences for all the previous occupants.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes it definitely puts models into perspective. I don't think I've ever felt so sad and helpless.

It is the worst disaster in Oregon's history. There are so many people stuck in two temporary shelters with not even a pillow or tooth brush. Many unaffected folk are volunteering their time which is outstanding during the current pandemic. Aid is very slow coming as many people are struggling financially and I've no idea if the federal government (FEMA) is doing anything.

All very sad.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

President trump has this morning approved the release of federal emergency aid for the state of Oregon.

Toxic smoke is very thick here today. At least everyone has a mask!

The fire responsible is at 23000 acres about 20 miles away.

Temperatures are down to the mid 50s (probably due in part to the thick smoke) Wind is at 0mph.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Just opened the front door to chase a deer off from eating the hydrangeas and filled the room with nasty smoke.

With nothing else to do I have decided to get on with modeling this afternoon. Like the header states the workbench/dining table has about half a dozen boxes containing  various unfinished gresley coach builds on it.

Here's a look then at what I'm modeling. (Posting this up will encourage me to get on with it!)

The dia.110 twin set is nearing completion. Just got to detail the ends and paint them before final assembly.

Twin.JPG.f2427cac3348d735c75d08d1f55065b1.JPG

I finished my Dia. 113 BG. after about 20 years. I'm rather pleased with it. It has the 8' bogies from Mailcoach and no lining unlike my Hornby version which wrongly does. Only the two Pathe cinema cars carried lining so I might just carry out a simple conversion on that!

Dia 113 sports plain coach brown from the old Humbrol HR143. I still need to change it's  number.

579181799_Dia113BG.JPG.fb32ab6f20e57c33ab7a874dd17b7589.JPG

This one is a Dia.198 steel van in the process of being converted from a Bachmann Thompson version. I have shortened it and redone the crude under frame. Re arranging the top light spacing is proving tricky and I might try making the glazing to fit and adding  pre-painted thinner bars. The roof needs more filler to blend the ends which came from a PC models kit. Much detailing on the sides.

183873660_Dia198bg(1).JPG.d5a3e5f348825c72be85564fa07673cd.JPG

1344840035_Dia198bg(2).JPG.41461408923a07627e6dad898d89694f.JPG

Now i have the brilliant Oxford N7 the quintuplet set build seems more urgent.

399329323_Quint(1).JPG.ff11e24290cad85046c0e2e680240c26.JPG

Like all my models detailing is a must which has proved very monotonous. I always add more prominent bottom hinges and home made grab handles. Need I say more!

146855013_Quint(2).JPG.6588988ea4317024117870f87776d9dc.JPG

These sets were most often over crowded during rush hour on what was once the busiest suburban line in the world. The coaches would bow under the weight of passengers and the doors would get stuck as a result. So the LNER set about strengthening the under frames with an extra set of trussing which I have attempted to recreate with spare Kirk parts. The outer two coaches in the set being deeper.  

566963820_Quint(4).JPG.61426f214cc85044d5a92177b900e52e.JPG

572742029_Quint(3).JPG.17e0b3e7813714c548a1eb6018ec26d0.JPG

This one is a Dia62 51'6" 5 compartment brake third. Sides have been kit bashed.

It will make an interesting model as the Dia.62s differed from the normal practice of having the guards door at the coach ends!

607569406_Dia625165compbrake3rd(1).JPG.2b469c2c6a01cb24a369ec6ddda61177.JPG

387727113_Dia625165compbrake3rd(2).JPG.1ce78f51c82a9675923d6dffeed719b8.JPG

...and lastly (but by no means least) is the scratch built 45'CCT.

The sides have distorted so I'll have to have a rethink and make another pair.

433507597_45cct.JPG.bafdedbb80960e9187ded32bee655c12.JPG

More later on my progress.

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
Oh deer!
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2020 at 15:25, manna said:

That lot, will certainly keep you busy for a while. Good luck.

manna

Got that right Manna.

Spent quite a few hours building up the ends for the twin set and brake third.

The ends on the set are a bit of a modelers mystery. Alarm gear and the other piece of kit (which I believe to be emergency lighting equipment) usually go on opposite ends of a single vehicle both go on the guards end of a twin. Finding a picture to prove that and check the layout of it all almost came to my undoing this afternoon...

However!

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/lner/other/hA0F04F15#ha0f04f15

This steel twin shows exactly what I wanted.

The inside ends look very plain against the outer two.

730856660_Twinends.JPG.9f902c1629ca887bbc7c331cf6a185f4.JPG

Diagram 62 ends for comparison. These coaches did not have windows in their ends.

234138126_Dia62ends.JPG.fd95dcf4fa039e681274908772053a95.JPG

For extra punishment I made up the step boards for the Dia.62 as well. 

Footboards.JPG.9cd2cb9c3af001c75d6f399e9e3ace6d.JPG

I managed to get the under frame for the steel BG van done also. Note my scratch built dynamo, turned with various knives in the cordless drill!

Dynamo.JPG.fd12c32b37d28cc4ae8b042ac76a7fbf.JPG

All ready for the airbrush tomorrow if it ain't too smokey.

Regards Shaun

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Got that right Manna.

Spent quite a few hours building up the ends for the twin set and brake third.

The ends on the set are a bit of a modelers mystery. Alarm gear and the other piece of kit (which I believe to be emergency lighting equipment) usually go on opposite ends of a single vehicle both go on the guards end of a twin. Finding a picture to prove that and check the layout of it all almost came to my undoing this afternoon...

However!

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/coaching-stock/lner/other/hA0F04F15#ha0f04f15

This steel twin shows exactly what I wanted.

The inside ends look very plain against the outer two.

Diagram 62 ends for comparison. These coaches did not have windows in their ends.

For extra punishment I made up the step boards for the Dia.62 as well. 

I managed to get the under frame for the steel BG van done also. Note my scratch built dynamo, turned with various knives in the cordless drill!

All ready for the airbrush tomorrow if it ain't too smokey.

Regards Shaun

There doesn't look to be very much room for any equipment between the coaches on the Twin.

I suppose you could airbrush if the smoke was bad - natural weathering applied with no additional mixing...

Serious now, I hope the source of the smoke isn't getting any closer.  The news, as it gets here, is rather varied on the subject, with some quite optimistic, but there remains a lot of cover on what amounts to complete devastation in some areas.  Very sad for so many folks.

Take care.

Julian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

There doesn't look to be very much room for any equipment between the coaches on the Twin.

I suppose you could airbrush if the smoke was bad - natural weathering applied with no additional mixing...

Serious now, I hope the source of the smoke isn't getting any closer.  The news, as it gets here, is rather varied on the subject, with some quite optimistic, but there remains a lot of cover on what amounts to complete devastation in some areas.  Very sad for so many folks.

Take care.

Julian

Not getting enough coverage on the situation here either J.

Lots of word of mouth though. Mrs.S. had just left Ashland with her mom last Tuesday when the Almeda fire started.

9 hours later it had destroyed over 600 homes, 100 businesses, 11 miles of the Greenway between I5 and 99.

It claimed at least 9 lives with about a dozen still unaccounted for.

A week later the area is still a no go zone and we have 1000s of homeless folk.

Apparently charges of arson have been made

Personally I know of 4 people who lost everything and a couple who lost their wine tasting business. My clinic who have taken very good care of me for the past thirteen years has gone too. Not to mention the best tacoria in the state.

The weather conditions couldn't have been worse, Jackson county sheriff said about the weather that morning "This is it" Time to dampen down and stay home". One tiny spark could destroy 100s of miles of forest.

The fire along Hwy 62 has slowed, its at 32.000 acres. It's 20% contained, smoke isn't as bad as of yesterday.

The President paid a visit to California Monday and assured them it's not global warming.

He told them that they should "rake their forests better". Yeah right. All 33.000.000 acres of it. (insert a nasty four letter word here).

Truth is  we're seeing   an increase in El Niňo which is causing longer hotter summers which lead to drought.

That's global warming! If it's because of human activity or the natural way of the solar system is a matter for debate because evidence points to both.

That huge plastic floating mass out there in the middle of the pacific must be interfering with evaporation in some way. just logical to me and why the scientists and powers that be haven;t cottoned on is mind boggling!

Building homes from forest products doesn't seem like a good idea but there's two sides to that. Firstly logging helps with forest management and is the states number 1 source of revenue and second it's all people can afford! Metal roofing is expensive as is fire resistant siding and trex decking. There was a housing shortage here before the fire storm. All one can do is to prepare for the worst by cleaning up their property as much as they can. Which reminds me, I need a good breakfast before I get raking up. There's been forecasts of thunder!!!

Regards Shaun   

Edited by Sasquatch
snip
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

The shear volume of the destruction defies any realistic comprehension and the personal cost to such a huge number of people, just stunning.  My ability to take it all in is struggling to get even a clue of what thousands of decent people are faced with.  Are there any support channels which will get direct to those who have been hit so hard?

It seems that, for once, our reporters are getting to write about what is known, rather than drivel for a cheap story.

One part of the Trump / California debacle are some figures that, reportably, came from the California Governor.  It seems that the land which is threatened and referred to by Trump as being so "lamentably mis-managed", is only 3% controlled by the State, less than 50% controlled by private / Reservation and 50% by the Federal Gov't.  Apparently [if those figures are anywhere near true] the bombastic ignoramus is not shy of shouting out about his own personal lack of positive action.....  again!!

I agree about the mass of floating plastic being connected to the climate as well as human failing to clear up waste properly, before it gets into the environment.  What strikes me is that the rise in temperature of the oceans is certain to have increased the rate of evaporation, which when distributed over the vastness of warm oceans, must have lifted vast amounts of additional water from them.  That  additional water has to be replaced by accelerated inward flows from the ocean borders, towards the centres.  Plastic doesn't evaporate with it's transport and so must now accumulate, at a faster rate, at the centres.  It also seems to me that the situation may be possible to be turned to advantage.  The collection of plastics and other debris, in the centre of Oceans provides a possible opportunity for a concentrated collection and removal point.  I imagine that some entrepreneur might eventually work out that cutting down the collection labour costs might be a worthwhile "Net Gain" recycle project.....    

The wooden housing is rather inevitable in the circumstances as you rightly identify and unless there is significant intervention, not likely to experience significant change.  I wonder if there will be a stage when Insurance companies get to recognise that contributing to finding flame resistant house coverings gets to be cheaper than payouts.  I hope that, or another solution, arrives sooner rather than later, as humanitarian solutions seem rather contrary to current cultural leanings.

I assume that you managed a suitably energy fuelled breakfast for the anticipated raking activities.  Having M-in-Law squatting doesn't seem such a large problem after all.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours

Julian

• Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

The shear volume of the destruction defies any realistic comprehension and the personal cost to such a huge number of people, just stunning.  My ability to take it all in is struggling to get even a clue of what thousands of decent people are faced with.  Are there any support channels which will get direct to those who have been hit so hard?

It seems that, for once, our reporters are getting to write about what is known, rather than drivel for a cheap story.

One part of the Trump / California debacle are some figures that, reportably, came from the California Governor.  It seems that the land which is threatened and referred to by Trump as being so "lamentably mis-managed", is only 3% controlled by the State, less than 50% controlled by private / Reservation and 50% by the Federal Gov't.  Apparently [if those figures are anywhere near true] the bombastic ignoramus is not shy of shouting out about his own personal lack of positive action.....  again!!

I agree about the mass of floating plastic being connected to the climate as well as human failing to clear up waste properly, before it gets into the environment.  What strikes me is that the rise in temperature of the oceans is certain to have increased the rate of evaporation, which when distributed over the vastness of warm oceans, must have lifted vast amounts of additional water from them.  That  additional water has to be replaced by accelerated inward flows from the ocean borders, towards the centres.  Plastic doesn't evaporate with it's transport and so must now accumulate, at a faster rate, at the centres.  It also seems to me that the situation may be possible to be turned to advantage.  The collection of plastics and other debris, in the centre of Oceans provides a possible opportunity for a concentrated collection and removal point.  I imagine that some entrepreneur might eventually work out that cutting down the collection labour costs might be a worthwhile "Net Gain" recycle project.....    

The wooden housing is rather inevitable in the circumstances as you rightly identify and unless there is significant intervention, not likely to experience significant change.  I wonder if there will be a stage when Insurance companies get to recognise that contributing to finding flame resistant house coverings gets to be cheaper than payouts.  I hope that, or another solution, arrives sooner rather than later, as humanitarian solutions seem rather contrary to current cultural leanings.

I assume that you managed a suitably energy fuelled breakfast for the anticipated raking activities.  Having M-in-Law squatting doesn't seem such a large problem after all.

Take care and best wishes to you and yours

Julian

Trump.....There goes my blood pressure again!

I can't get into American politics on here. But I can say that there seems to be much Pro-Trump  ingorami out this way (Red neck country!).  There's a huge pro Republican poster outside one residence down the road that reads:

"Trump/Pence".

"No MORE BULLSHlT"

Well they're right of course, most Americans are fed up with his bull! Just goes to show the dumb mentality of the sort who voted him in in the first place.

As for recycling the plastic continent. It wont be America. China stopped buying our recycles, probably in response to Mr. T.s tariffs .  We seem to have lost the capability to recycle it over here. Mrs. S. had the sanitation company come get their blue bin after we received a letter informing us that most stuff with the recycle symbol couldn't go in there any longer. No point in paying for it! Now we take the recycles to somewhere who will take it.

Building codes are sometimes frustrating to say the least. They in no way consider their environmental impact. For instance: When running copper electric cables through stud walls, code requires them to be nailed within 6"-8" of the outlet box. That means that there's millions of tons of copper needlessly wasted which can't be easily removed when remodeling or during demolition. stupid because copper has become rather expensive in recent years.

The price of Douglas fir (or Oregon as it's known in Europe) has gone through the roof since the covid crisis. Note sure why. 

Sad fact is that it's far easier to fire up a chain saw and cut down several 300 year old trees than it is to collect up as much 20 year old plastic waste and reuse it. Laws should be implemented to ban clear cutting. Selective cutting is way harder to achieve. In fact we have a very tall fir that died in our small bit of the woods. Even if I could get permission to cut it down, how would I get that out of there. Turning it into lumber  would be easy and I'd never have to buy timber ever again. Yes that tree is that big!

1963458089_DeadDoug.JPG.88b66ce488ce2a009465258151c2e6f9.JPG

Gwen.JPG.beaf91943b5e9a3c0ec5e9619fca1dde.JPG

Mental attitudes need to change. Here on the Squatch ranch we like to think we're doing our bit though and most wood finds a new life. This loading dock I built in July has an old growth fir deck from reclaimed horse fencing as do these gates. 

102713046_loadingdock.JPG.ed2cd94ae4216a890b65f422e13d023a.JPG

924237283_Harrypotterinspiredgates.JPG.43c30f5bae4ee1012173b7ff150f7533.JPG

Gwen likes getting in the pics. Most off cuts end up in the wood stove.

After snowmageddon two years ago I cut two cords of firewood from the damage.

Firewood.JPG.2a2c584e9db9b9b5577fe08ad4338b39.JPG

Mrs. S. had a good breakfast of boiled eggs. coffee and toast and took over raking duties because my elbow still hasn't healed. One of her piles can be seen in the last picture along with the totally smoke obscured mountain.

Take care y'all Shaun.

I'd better go and photograph some trains and get back on topic. 

Edited by Sasquatch
amazing what you can do with the caps lock
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Busy afternoon on Goathland.

J94 gets shunted into the siding at Goathland after struggling up the hill with a loco coal train.

330761092_BusytimeatGoathland(1).JPG.beba56ef14b651cb1c4b99592dce5e5f.JPG

A Q6 making light work of it with a down parcels.

467519648_BusytimeatGoathland(3).JPG.5a7fefe4efe8a15da989af7098a6b5ed.JPG

1897520705_BusytimeatGoathland(4).JPG.687d7cfb8cba47fcaebf10e4291db846.JPG

N7 on Pottyshire viaduct with a solitary push-pull coach nears the summit on the down line.

412877219_BusytimeatGoathland(2).JPG.b5a2f4624ba808807f8f3ace95eee0a6.JPG

The two trains pass under the road bridge.

634566421_BusytimeatGoathland(5).JPG.b820f2d5ad7a093ad1ee5d8407fee65d.JPG

Push-pull grinding to a halt.

2119174463_BusytimeatGoathland(6).JPG.2af037f23519dda78aa1f0b6302dcb6a.JPG

Parcels shuts off the throttle for the dramatic 1in70 decent over the viaduct and plunge into abbey tunnel.

1187463928_BusytimeatGoathland(7).JPG.0513b1ef49faa3a32bf07328a8de0806.JPG

808642815_BusytimeatGoathland(8).JPG.197a901aa03e28f42c7346efa644a21c.JPG

1086779142_BusytimeatGoathland(9).JPG.c942f5c64c3073bb646b3ecce147d812.JPG

Hope you enjoyed seeing some trains

Shaun

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1