Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I bet they are the only 4mm turned wooden table legs in the world!

Wonderful, really wonderful.

Al.

Thanks Al. So simple too... after selecting 3 nice round sticks I simply rolled them 3 at a time under the knife!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, manna said:

G'day Folks

Staff mess rooms had nice big tables like that.

manna

Hi Manna. Yes i made three for that purpose, not that I have any images of the interiors but I think the extra rooms in the longer of the two buildings could have been mess rooms. Well they are on my version of Queensbury at least. That reminds me I need to dig out some Ratio chairs, build,and teak those too.   

Regards Shaun

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

To shake off this mild cold this morning I had a big hot lemon, honey & whiskey. Put on extra layers of clothing and stomped of up into the woods with the dogs to sweat it out. On the way back I took this with my phone. Just love Oregon.

IMG950681.jpg.1d5202c2c0697a6168e24fe56a29fa16.jpg

• Like 13

G'Day Gents 

Looks 'Grand', but to Darn cold for me, we are going to have a couple of days of 40c +, which is better, had a couple of warm days earlier in the week, trying to line a loco, the waterslide transfers were drying before I could get them into place !!!!!!!!!

And I can get three coats of paint on a model in a Day (12 hours)

manna

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Gents 

Looks 'Grand', but to Darn cold for me, we are going to have a couple of days of 40c +, which is better, had a couple of warm days earlier in the week, trying to line a loco, the waterslide transfers were drying before I could get them into place !!!!!!!!!

And I can get three coats of paint on a model in a Day (12 hours)

manna

Oh I hate the 40+ days, although we are getting into the routine of taking siestas in July and August!

I'm having trouble getting paint to dry at all at the moment, we've had snow already this year, some of the taller mountains are white, I'm looking forward to the family Christmas tree hunt soon.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Polishing shop after lunch.

Carton with painted on lines of Hob-E-Tak.

2075941082_Teaking(1).JPG.b06a0b4daf2efedda6fbec810ad88659.JPG

2036825773_Teaking(3).JPG.e56ad9a0cf2244b058bd1b693081f9ee.JPG

1911454718_Teaking(4).JPG.0ca990d647f496f5db4a1b432808d676.JPG

1198260202_Teaking(2).JPG.b2f2075e0342c65398f4a03958a6a3f2.JPG

White primer...

541592594_Teaking(5).JPG.bf53d9df9116839827bb521d99f347d3.JPG

Airbrushed acrylic pumpkin, which I deviated slightly from Mikes method by brushing while still wet!

527807582_Teaking(7).JPG.97968a27d43ce102f6e0d3cfcb587a15.JPG

116556464_Teaking(6).JPG.d2060546dc37825f1dc1ebadfcc2c5a2.JPG

This had to go in front of the fan heater to help it along,

1655519592_Teaking(8).JPG.9ec6fad330ab5232c9f4255d7363aa9a.JPG

So far these dozen pieces of furniture have taken about an hour to finish with the burnt umber and Liquin.

193736756_Teakfurnitue(1).JPG.314a41c86aee17dd08097f8a7bfe0b4d.JPG

882645207_Teakfurnitue(2).JPG.3f2ed258eebb16f9c6a67b0c2bf563c4.JPG

2087376928_Teakfurnitue(3).JPG.b427167ab0ff20cd808973c0b9c02c14.JPG

1074058472_Teakfurnitue(4).JPG.c02127c04a2fa9b8e5b48c95ab1faa9c.JPG

1164379676_Teakfurnitue(5).JPG.46f170d6acebf4a4749596979fa5dba3.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Not quite sure I have enough...

DSCF1680.JPG.ff561fecb6734de97de0dfde92793082.JPG

The table tops. Quite varying shades, three have cleats . Top right came out rather nice.DSCF1682.JPG.10e387979e4f2bfeaed5ecffa097f4d4.JPG

All this next picture needs is about 120 gospel singers.DSCF1681.JPG.502b532de072ebf16f91aa97742a85fa.JPG

No modeling tomorrow. Besides I need a day off!

Squatch.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

16 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Not quite sure I have enough...

DSCF1680.JPG.ff561fecb6734de97de0dfde92793082.JPG

The table tops. Quite varying shades, three have cleats . Top right came out rather nice.DSCF1682.JPG.10e387979e4f2bfeaed5ecffa097f4d4.JPG

All this next picture needs is about 120 gospel singers.DSCF1681.JPG.502b532de072ebf16f91aa97742a85fa.JPG

No modeling tomorrow. Besides I need a day off!

Squatch.

WHATT!!!!!!!    Are you totally irresponsible?????     Have you no idea that there is a rampant killer virus loose worldwide?????

You go online showing how to produce vast quantities of UNPROTECTED communal seating, to a vulnerable receptive audience, some of whom would love to learn such productive methods.  Not only that, but on their much reduced scale, so as to make it less visible - particularly to the aged and visual disadvantaged.....   

.....  at this point I consider that I might possibly have misread some of the objects as miniature tables, as opposed to modified toothpicks, to tackle several gaps together.  Nice idea, and much reduced flossing times, well worth a Patent application.  Having said that, I do have a couple of reservations about the fixed distancing of the manufacturing jig, and maybe a more flexible fit might be more appropriate??  A 50/50 Patent share, for my timely advice, would seem appropriate - just a hint.....

Nice camouflage, making the seating in connection with the the toothpicks, brilliant marketing.....    moraly on a par with the depths of Lough Ness..... although considerably better than some in politics.

J

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

WHATT!!!!!!!    Are you totally irresponsible?????     Have you no idea that there is a rampant killer virus loose worldwide?????

You go online showing how to produce vast quantities of UNPROTECTED communal seating, to a vulnerable receptive audience, some of whom would love to learn such productive methods.  Not only that, but on their much reduced scale, so as to make it less visible - particularly to the aged and visual disadvantaged.....   

.....  at this point I consider that I might possibly have misread some of the objects as miniature tables, as opposed to modified toothpicks, to tackle several gaps together.  Nice idea, and much reduced flossing times, well worth a Patent application.  Having said that, I do have a couple of reservations about the fixed distancing of the manufacturing jig, and maybe a more flexible fit might be more appropriate??  A 50/50 Patent share, for my timely advice, would seem appropriate - just a hint.....

Nice camouflage, making the seating in connection with the the toothpicks, brilliant marketing.....    moraly on a par with the depths of Lough Ness..... although considerably better than some in politics.

J

Hi J.

After the amount of scotch I have consumed (there's no beer in the house) I had to read that through at least 3 times. Firstly please don't think that my avatar is a recent picture so watch who you are calling aged. As for visual disadvantaged... well you're just not keeping up!!

The items are indeed made from tooth picks, please note that they are well past their sell-by=date and no longer sterile! If one wants to save on flossing times, one can simply weave the floss in and out betwixt all ones teeth one row at a time and pull hard  (although there are some individuals on the Asian sub continent who can indeed floss all 32 at once even one Rajasthani gentleman who claims 36 but I've no evidence to support that).

In an effort to cut down on production costs I have learned two things...

One is to simply make another jig and two, is to not take advice from sharks!

Well spotted too my friend, I need to brush up on my camouflage techniques. Incidentally Mrs.S. suggested I make a few extra sets and market them for a ridiculous  dollar amount at the train show but unfortunately that has been canceled due to some rampant killer virus!

Hope you are keeping safe and out of trouble

Regards Shaun AKA Squatch.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

41 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi J.

After the amount of scotch I have consumed (there's no beer in the house) I had to read that through at least 3 times. Firstly please don't think that my avatar is a recent picture so watch who you are calling aged. As for visual disadvantaged... well you're just not keeping up!!

The items are indeed made from tooth picks, please note that they are well past their sell-by=date and no longer sterile! If one wants to save on flossing times, one can simply weave the floss in and out betwixt all ones teeth one row at a time and pull hard  (although there are some individuals on the Asian sub continent who can indeed floss all 32 at once even one Rajasthani gentleman who claims 36 but I've no evidence to support that).

In an effort to cut down on production costs I have learned two things...

One is to simply make another jig and two, is to not take advice from sharks!

Well spotted too my friend, I need to brush up on my camouflage techniques. Incidentally Mrs.S. suggested I make a few extra sets and market them for a ridiculous  dollar amount at the train show but unfortunately that has been canceled due to some rampant killer virus!

Hope you are keeping safe and out of trouble

Regards Shaun AKA Squatch.

Apologies for the extra reading time, caused by severe reduction in your lamentable Covid Beer consumption drought, during such difficult purchase times and my rubbish writing skills, causing you to read through so many times.  I can only ask for your forgiveness for lack of awareness, of your desperate beer shortage.

Sad to see that the toothpicks are past their sell-by dates, but a good soak in Isopropanol might provide some additional sell-by time.  I am, however wary of the recommended floss weaving technique, as at my age that might result in a, likely, scattering of the remaining nashers to various parts of the scenery.  [32??  Simple luxury, a "quick pull" has a different end result these days.]

Mrs S may be quite right about those few additional sets for sale, as their revelation here will produce. considerable interest  Genuinely sad about the train show and all those others, cancelled, around the Globe.  I am looking forward to times when we can, once again show and view the skills where the likes of yourself can be shared.

All the best to you and yours

J

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Apologies for the extra reading time, caused by severe reduction in your lamentable Covid Beer consumption drought, during such difficult purchase times and my rubbish writing skills, causing you to read through so many times.  I can only ask for your forgiveness for lack of awareness, of your desperate beer shortage.

Sad to see that the toothpicks are past their sell-by dates, but a good soak in Isopropanol might provide some additional sell-by time.  I am, however wary of the recommended floss weaving technique, as at my age that might result in a, likely, scattering of the remaining nashers to various parts of the scenery.  [32??  Simple luxury, a "quick pull" has a different end result these days.]

Mrs S may be quite right about those few additional sets for sale, as their revelation here will produce. considerable interest  Genuinely sad about the train show and all those others, cancelled, around the Globe.  I am looking forward to times when we can, once again show and view the skills where the likes of yourself can be shared.

All the best to you and yours

J

The beer crisis has reached epic proportions. Local supermarkets have been promoting curbside pick-up of supplies. Alas, ancient bylaws prevent accommodation for alcoholic beverages under these schemes.

A trip to the local store looked promising (albeit their inability to stock anything even slightly palatable) until a truck load of rednecks armed to the teeth entered the premises without the mandatory face coverings .

Consumption of scotch or bourbon is reserved purely for medicinal reasons you understand, although it sometimes gets passed around  at high elevations during cold weather.

Forgiveness is not  necessary my friend as you haven't done anything wrong, I was probably wearing the wrong glasses when I read your post.

I can't help thinking that I should be  struggling to manipulate Dunster out of the back attic room and into the pick-up, then reassembling it at the local fair grounds today for this weekend. Then again this is probably a good thing because the tennis elbow is still playing up. I'm confident that both situations will have been resolved by this time next year.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Is being addicted to details a mental problem? There must be a name for the condition.

977678179_details(1).JPG.84e34de9ef1aae26745cb72d255ba811.JPG

2071799181_details(2).JPG.5f9846e94ab3586ce8ee4325ba694289.JPG

676558902_details(3).JPG.22a0c11a8fb45c24a2a37e6bbe3a4452.JPG

The fish is the prize catch of the head porter who's wife refuses point blank to have such atrocities  displayed in the family household. The model was cut from an advert for cans of tuna in a flyer and sandwiched (couldn't resist that one) between two small bits of clear plastic with a blue background and then nice black card simply added around the edge.

I might make a theme of this and fill the porters room with more trophy fish, and fishing gear! 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just brilliant Shaun.  I think the condition is called, 'Icandoititis'.

I hate to mention it but the lady in the second picture looks cold, you are going to have to put a fire glow in the fire.  Oh no, then she should look warm and she will still look cold so that will take the realism away.  Ok, forget that.  :D

What you must not do is build a model of your own house because in it will be a model of your railway and on that will be a model of your own house, and in it will be a model of your railway and in it will be..............

At present I am looking for 4mm netting.  I think I may have seen something useful in my wife's material bag.  Why?  To go on 4mm luggage racks.  :)

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Just brilliant Shaun.  I think the condition is called, 'Icandoititis'.

I hate to mention it but the lady in the second picture looks cold, you are going to have to put a fire glow in the fire.  Oh no, then she should look warm and she will still look cold so that will take the realism away.  Ok, forget that.  :D

What you must not do is build a model of your own house because in it will be a model of your railway and on that will be a model of your own house, and in it will be a model of your railway and in it will be..............

At present I am looking for 4mm netting.  I think I may have seen something useful in my wife's material bag.  Why?  To go on 4mm luggage racks.  :)

Thank you Chris.

I think I might need a shrink! So does the chap next door who has one of those folding houses. He has approached me with a proposal to construct a folding garage to go with the house. Apparently  he needs somewhere to put all his 5hit when he fold the house up.

The lady from the Women's Voluntary Service (I believe her uniform should be more blueish) is indeed cold because some tyke has removed the doors! Plans are afoot to utilise some electronic tea lights that I salvaged one Christmas after their batteries ran out. Working coal fires might seem a bit too gimmicky but will keep my "icandoititis" under control  for hours!

Not available in model stores as yet but can be found in larger grocery outlets is this stuff.

Apparently the contents not need be wasted, it  can be crushed up, mixed with parsley and butter then used to revive stale bread if baked for a few minutes. Quite popular in some Southern European climes! In some countries it is also claimed to have anti vampire qualities.

GUEST_f9be2391-bb44-4986-af72-c2acaa5ba84b.jpg.9993c94ebb4186a609b36258ce3ccf6a.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards Shaun

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Thank you Chris.

I think I might need a shrink! So does the chap next door who has one of those folding houses. He has approached me with a proposal to construct a folding garage to go with the house. Apparently  he needs somewhere to put all his 5hit when he fold the house up.

The lady from the Women's Voluntary Service (I believe her uniform should be more blueish) is indeed cold because some tyke has removed the doors! Plans are afoot to utilise some electronic tea lights that I salvaged one Christmas after their batteries ran out. Working coal fires might seem a bit too gimmicky but will keep my "icandoititis" under control  for hours!

Not available in model stores as yet but can be found in larger grocery outlets is this stuff.

Apparently the contents not need be wasted, it  can be crushed up, mixed with parsley and butter then used to revive stale bread if baked for a few minutes. Quite popular in some Southern European climes! In some countries it is also claimed to have anti vampire qualities.

GUEST_f9be2391-bb44-4986-af72-c2acaa5ba84b.jpg.9993c94ebb4186a609b36258ce3ccf6a.jpg

Hope this helps

Regards Shaun

Shaun,

Thank you.  My wife regularly uses this stuff in her cooking.  It works, there are no vampires for miles!  I have looked at the packing but the net size is too large, and the net connections are too large.  My concern is that anything scale size will be too small, but something in between might work.

Could you not just give the lady a scarf?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Shaun,

Thank you.  My wife regularly uses this stuff in her cooking.  It works, there are no vampires for miles!  I have looked at the packing but the net size is too large, and the net connections are too large.  My concern is that anything scale size will be too small, but something in between might work.

Could you not just give the lady a scarf?

Hi Chris. Don't  be avraid, I have found that this nylon netting bag stuff comes in at least two types. One of them is much finer!

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

A little after your era, but I cannot resist since this has just appeared on the wall in my railway room.

623F0925-3FC0-4E20-AD7F-EDDE264291A7.jpeg.e6175f2e3708dfcaf05eccf1583e7bd6.jpeg

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. Nice picture rail too BTW.

Regards Shaun

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This started out when I found these heavily molded HO railings which I cut up to make fireplace fronts.

Too much tea and coffee mixed with "Icandoititis" and  I found myself hashing up something from all the scraps.

808861934_teakdesk(1).JPG.519fb0ebd0155688e7b6c11af9d145a5.JPG

519402930_teakdesk(2).JPG.98f1020c8afecd199bb6a267419528a0.JPG

613569975_teakdesk(3).JPG.83e955f774f855ea4db685f4a518acc1.JPG

441926061_teakdesk(4).JPG.e84e49d132c442eb9173a13045ff11f8.JPG

2029303483_teakdesk(5).JPG.c04ec94a22d591de6c87165cf32cc9f8.JPG

The two Ratio chairs have been kitbashed. Well just filed and bent them a bit really, to give them more of an antique look!

More seating for the waiting rooms too, nothing special just hole punched card and scraps.

The teak finish gives it warmth and brings it to life.

1550566223_teakdesk(6).JPG.9b2f3a4d0f78b534c343e870ac81912b.JPG

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium

Well it was worth modeling all those fire places.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/tahistory/1478227.bradfords-own-alpine-railway-line/

Imagine taking the train home for lunch every day, especially on the "Alpine route" I bet that lucky young girl was late back during icy weather. I might just have to add her to the detailing list. 

Although she must have hated walking up station road twice a day I've referred to her as lucky for a few reasons. Home cooking for lunch, traveling on the Queensbury Thornton service and I bet she was the fittest girl in the school.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

The devil is definitely in the details. Such things as Peco door knobs take ages when you have to drill out 15 tiny holes. 

1172550308_Details(4).JPG.501f6c0e2f613d50216135ca63350585.JPG

The flooring is just thin scribed card but also took ages.

830963807_Details(5).JPG.9012e42091ded051ff451638d64b60e1.JPG

1477533121_Details(6).JPG.857b8bb89a5a6573361c58e68d1f09d4.JPG

The windows in the three ends of the shorter buildings actually didn't take too long. Same method I used for all the main windows, accurately scratched on frames with acrylic paint bushed in and allowed to become touch dry before wiping away the excess with kitchen towel.

1968567400_Details(1).JPG.e3d19b58600f1bc165abb5164ca29f2a.JPG

They needed a little sanding and are a push fit!   

1303976644_Details(2).JPG.0515da583f330e6b60ed013181b2443b.JPG

1771329182_Details(3).JPG.2952dd4531137234c73d720d946c8225.JPG

The buildings are almost ready for assembly.

Squatch.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I had to make some toilet doors for the waiting platform buildings.

The easiest method is to build them up on some grooved plastic card. The  stiles (vertical parts of a door frame)   are not quite as wide as the vertical planks on the card. This gives the impression of fielded paneling and makes the fields wider than the stiles. I added the stiles in strips of three doors and squared them up to the edges before cutting the strips into 3. The three rails were cut next and the widest fitted in the middle position first, Then by placing the top and bottom rails next to this the mullions can be cut accurately.

664573251_doors(1).JPG.f51a04da71c8e5d16f3e070243d2cebf.JPG

56993564_doors(2).JPG.5f1b522daa5b4cad823c72537b22e94c.JPG

While the mojo was flowing I also assembled and detailed two of the buildings...

491109035_Queensburywaitingrooms(1).JPG.a257584fe0eb73badcba0117227e01e1.JPG

403076590_Queensburywaitingrooms(2).JPG.46c929b6e7ed4abad8bbc8dfd4580f2f.JPG

829470644_Queensburywaitingrooms(3).JPG.c1354b2a29b0c86e348ff87bb62eb3ce.JPG

246146177_Queensburywaitingrooms(4).JPG.7ced380fd255ffdacc18574872308c84.JPG

1396513585_Queensburywaitingrooms(5).JPG.e5d751eaff3b4a3a87b12aa4030b23fe.JPG

730226_Queensburywaitingrooms(6).JPG.505e210ce385545f7dd936dc7aef1379.JPG

This is the three rooms in the longer structure on the  Bradford- Keighley platform. Houses the station masters office.

185904386_Queensburywaitingrooms(7).JPG.e78c28dd7986109a5cffe5d022ed39af.JPG 

Edited by Sasquatch
typo
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete. Thanks but I can't take credit for the idea, that would be Mike Trice! When the waiting rooms have found their way off of the work bench I'm going to teak a coach!

No doubt other wood finishes can be achieved by using different base coats  such as yellow for pine and mauve for mahogany. I'll have to try some and make a sample card.

Regards Shaun

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1