Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Talking of presents, I had a wonderful Christmas surprise courtesy of my wonderful wife: - a Bachmann Green Class40 with sound!

- I obviously made enough "sound" to qualify for its coming into existence, but I might have to turn the volume down before she regrets her generosity.

Regards,

Hal.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

In my collection of unbuilt kits are several old Kirk coach kits, a largish box of spare parts and a Chivers pigeon van.

Taken with the urge to build some rolling stock I've been hacking up various bits and cleaning up all the rough moldings to make a twin set for Queensbury, a LNER bogie van (from scratch)

and another pigeon van.

The twin and pigeon will receive carmine but the 1928 built BCK shall be NPCS brown

post-8964-0-78822300-1419809085_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-30315100-1419808567.jpg

Yesterday evening was spent cleaning up the sides and removing the taper from the windows.

post-8964-0-75838000-1419809129.jpg

Last weekend I shortened the fox bogies for the BCK parcels and made up its roof using the vacuum formed one from an old Phoenix kit  and detailed it with Chivers vents and cowls from older kirk bogie moldings.   

post-8964-0-32322700-1419810058.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6

Hi Shaun,

I've been following your thread for quite a while now but haven't commented, I think it's about time I did because this is a piece of work of the highest quality.

Thank you for sharing it with us, the set of pictures you just posted show how excellent the layout is.

Best wishes,

Edward [currently in Sherwood Arkansas]

• RMweb Premium

Quick update on the stock builds.

Yesterday evening I managed to cut out and clean up all of the twin set parts, assemble the bogies, fit up the roof vents and start assembling the under frames. Much detail is yet to be added including door grab handles which is a laborious task I'm not looking forward to.

post-8964-0-06938600-1419893428_thumb.jpg

This morning the pigeon van has been cut out and the sides detailed. If building one of these kits the hinges on the guards doors need removing as these opened inwards!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I dropped those super fine hand rails onto the carpet! 

At this point I must congratulate Roger Chivers for producing such wonderfully detailed moldings and such a great kit!

post-8964-0-03166000-1419894451_thumb.jpg

Here's the LNER version I built a few years ago and a picture of the preserved van on the North Norfolk Railway.

post-8964-0-23541600-1419894378.jpg

post-8964-0-42318400-1419894160.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

Hi Shaun,

I've actually been here since 1991 came over to Union City PA for a job, I was headhunted [he boasted] and stayed with the company till 2005. They were very good and gave me three trips per year of 4 weeks each to England and paid for the flights!. Retired I stayed in PA until 2009 then moved to AR near Little Rock. I spend roughly half the year in each country. Married a lovely American lady from PA in 2010, we are currently in the planning stage of a new house in England. Living in two countries at once has its problems not the least being unable to get back to a layout I part finished  in UK and have now dismantled prior to house move.

I have to admit the travelling back and forth has long since lost its gloss and is now a miserable chore not to mention expensive.

There are some things I don't particularly like in the US but I have always found the American people to be friendly and helpful and they do like the Brits!

Edward

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I somehow managed to complete construction of the dia.120 van.

post-8964-0-79931100-1419992162.jpg

A little more filing here and there and it will get sprayed with grey primer.

post-8964-0-60996800-1419992177.jpg

The couplings sit 1mm too high. I would hazard a guess that this is down to the standard coupling mount not being correct for 14mm wheel sets.

Simple solution is to add 1mm plastic strips between the mounts and the floor.

I added safety loops from staples.

post-8964-0-94711900-1419992146.jpg

post-8964-0-34126400-1419992194.jpg

Fully detailed ends.

post-8964-0-03812300-1419992214.jpg

Tonight I'm hoping to tackle the twin set under frames.

Regards Shaun

• Like 12

Some fantastic reminders of what you have been up to. And as usual I see references to the real Goathland and surrounding area. The bridge with the pub and its conservatory is a clear reference to the Birch Inn. And I like the subtle Potter references. 

Wishing you both a very HAPPY NEW YEAR....with the time difference and your busy social life I'll put it in now LOL.

Don't forget the picture for the lass on tieback of the scooter.

• Like 1

Superb work as ever Shaun - you're obviously overcoming the handicap of the damaged hand well and producing better models than some of us with two good(ish) hands could manage! A true inspiration!!

Happy New Year to you and the good lady, I hope it produces just the right amount of work to allow the modelling to continue - I for one am looking forward to the progress on those beautiful extension baseboards.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Slightly OT I'm afraid!

Health care is a huge problem in the States especially if you have a major problem, I think it is older people's greatest fear. Pres. Obama tried to make it better but opposition was so great from the various capitalist lobbies that the eventual changes were a very watered down version of the ideal.

Oregon and Washington are indeed very beautiful Shaun, I have a great interest in logging years ago which destroyed vast tracts of forest but the up side was the proliferation of logging railroads which were very interesting and well documented in photographs by Kinsey et al. Kinsey made a living by trudging round logging sites with a huge plate camera and selling the resultant pictures to the loggers. Thousands of his plates survive fortunately but thousands more ended up as greenhouse glass. I visited both States on an 8000 mile trip around western USA, it was wonderful.

Edward

• Like 2

Talking of presents, I had a wonderful Christmas surprise courtesy of my wonderful wife: - a Bachmann Green Class40 with sound!

- I obviously made enough "sound" to qualify for its coming into existence, but I might have to turn the volume down before she regrets her generosity.

Regards,

Hal.

Please forgive the liberty Sasquatch,

post-21358-0-32317100-1420208539_thumb.jpg

Totally PC-dumb, I've been playing with pictures. Said Class 40 makes a poor image almost acceptable. ;)

Regards,

Hal.

• Like 3

That's a great shot Hal!

The class 40 on Pullman service looks fantastic.

attachicon.gifd-pickup-doncaster.jpg

attachicon.gifd-harrah-dh-darlington-2.jpg

Photos Davidheyscollection

My problem is I need some Bachmann* Mk 1s. Am I right in thinking that the older steel ones were sometimes used as brakes at both ends? (I hope so) It looks that way in some photos.

Thanks for putting these up Sasquatch. They are the best I've seen using 40s. Most are just black-and-white.

Hal.

EDIT * I should have said Bachmann Pullmans. 

• Like 1

Hal.

Metro-cam didn't build any Pullman brakes! So yes that or BR mk1 BG or BSO in maroon or choc-cream would suit also!

attachicon.gifodd livery.jpg

I'm confused. That's not what I meant at all. Look at you second picture for example. What's that behind the loco?

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page68.htm

I haven't used the picture because it doesn't help, but the text does : - 

Below) A famous headcode - 1S57 northbound 'Queen of Scots' - is displayed in the route indicator panel of Peak class No D170 (later TOPS Class 46 No 46033) as it approaches Wortley South Junction. The train is made up of an almost uniform rake of the new Metro-Cammel Pullman cars, first introduced on the London-Sheffield 'Master Cutler' Pullman in September 1960. They appeared on the'Yorkshire Pullman' and 'Tees-Tyne' Pullman duties in January the following year. The 44 vehicles were used entirely on the East Coast main line services, but as no Pullman brake cars were built in the same order, the elderly flat-sided Pullman brakes were utilised, in this case situated the third vehicle from the front. With the introduction of more modern coaching stock fitted with electric train heating (ETH) - the original train heating boilers and water filling point were removed from cantrail height to prevent crewmen climbing up to roof level in areas with overhead electrification equipment. The 3 bodyside steps were subsequently plated over.

post-21358-0-23701000-1420234912.jpg

The above picture shows the elderly brake, the difference in the stock behind is better shown in your picture.

I'd probably picked up this from Hey's work before. I must admit, as someone who's living was destroyed by internet copy - "why purchase a print when you can download it for free!" - I am uncomfortable. Heys lives nearby. He painted too. His online images are too poor to copy but the same applied to him. Now none of us can get a print-publisher. 

What I do find fascinating about this picture, though, is that the front of the loco has been cleaned. 

Hal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I should have said Metro-cam didn't build any Mk1 Pullman brake coaches. So to include a brake in a train of Mk1 Metro-cammell   Pullmans, either an older Pullman brake or a standard Mk1 brake vehicle  would be needed! 

There's a rake of Hornby matchboard sided ones upstairs in their boxes, I should get them out and give them a run huh?

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

I should have said Metro-cam didn't build any Mk1 Pullman brake coaches. So to include a brake in a train of Mk1 Metro-cammell   Pullmans, either an older Pullman brake or a standard Mk1 brake vehicle  would be needed! 

There's a rake of Hornby matchboard sided ones upstairs in their boxes, I should get them out and give them a run huh?

Emm, it depends upon your actually operative date. For LNER days they would seem fine. But as I understand it, postwar they were skinned with aluminium to make them look more modern.

I'm glad this came up, Shaun. I really don't trust my memory these days so it made me hunt some stuff out. :) Now I need a minimum of six Bachmanns (8 really) Looks like wor lasses Chrissy pressy'll have to go. (But that would be defeating the object) :jester:

Joan :triniti:  Me :angel:

PS: tell whoever you like! ;)

Tony. 

• RMweb Premium

This Kirk twin set is coming along nicely.

The ride height needs increasing by about .020". Doesn't sound like a lot but it needs it. I will add this to the top of the bogies.

To couple the set I have made up a pivot arrangement and set the coaches 11mm apart. The pivots needed .050" to match the depth of the bogie mounts molded as part of the floor molding.

Because I used two 51' kits, some of the under floor gubbins had to be removed with a razor saw.

post-8964-0-35166000-1420237479.jpg

post-8964-0-88069000-1420237641.jpg

I beefed up the frame work with plastic strip and have modeled the later pattern battery box set up, the smaller one is a Kirk molding from the spares box built up with more styrene. Vacuum sets are MJT components and wheels are 14mm Bachmann ones. 

I have given it a test run around Goathland and all seems well!

post-8964-0-09463400-1420237446.jpg

post-8964-0-15499500-1420237607.jpg

post-8964-0-68036100-1420237668_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Will do some new ones when I get 1/2 an hour free! Trouble is I'm a bit of a wimp where this cold weather is concerned, there's no heating in the layout building as yet.  This flock of thrushes don't seem to mind it though.

post-8964-0-41461400-1420239341.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5