Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

Enough ornithology, more cyano-bogie-ergy !

This evening a dozen foot boards were fashioned from yet more styrene and staples. The back kickers are .015" x .020" with the .020" side marked with black and the step boards are .015" x .125". The staples were cut 4 at a time to achieve uniformity. They're fixed with 10 sec. cyano. glue. The pictures and drawings in Nick Camplings Historic Carriage Drawings vol.1 show an odd arrangement which complies with the picture I put up of the set I am modeling.   

post-8964-0-44290700-1420264675.jpg

post-8964-0-38253200-1420264691.jpg

post-8964-0-56795600-1420264703.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Shaun,

They look great. Very effective use of stationery!

Did you make the black marks just so that we could see the structure on the photos? If so, then thank you for doing so, that's very considerate of you.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Shaun,

They look great. Very effective use of stationery!

Did you make the black marks just so that we could see the structure on the photos? If so, then thank you for doing so, that's very considerate of you.

Kind regards, Neil

.005" difference, hard to see with the naked eye! :O

Tis also difficult to get 1/4'' staples straight with 10 sec. cyano as can be seen by the cruel macro photography!!

Last night I sat up late bending up all the door grab handles from .5mm wire and drilling all the holes to mount them in. :swoon:

This evenings mad form of twisted entertainment will involve door handles and the bottom hinges for the doors :umbrage:

It all helps in capturing the look of this stock!

Here's a picture of a twin set somewhere on the Queensbury lines in the 1950s. 

post-8964-0-80430400-1420344983_thumb.jpg

Two pictures I took of Hornby stock to show what I'm intent on capturing  

post-8964-0-48847700-1420345001.jpgpost-8964-0-11352600-1420345014.jpg

And ,.....well...................urm..........yes , we'll see how it turns out...........

post-8964-0-09180100-1420344968.jpg

Edit: to say I think that Hornbys attempt to flush glaze their Gresley paneled stock is awful. All thick and plastic looking which totally spoils the look. 

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

.005" difference, hard to see with the naked eye! :O

Tis also difficult to get 1/4'' staples straight with 10 sec. cyano as can be seen by the cruel macro photography!! 

Well even if it was to make your modelling easier it was also very helpful for the photo in assisting to see the structure!

As for the staples being perfectly straight... I only noticed when going back for a closer look, at a macro photo, with unpainted shiny staples against a black background without a coach body above. If someone spots them on the finished, painted model, especially at normal viewing distance I wouldn't believe they hadn't read it here first!

I like the effect you're building up with your grab handles. Given my extremely slow modelling rate, I just don't have the patience at the moment. Maybe once NE is up and running and I'm backdating stock. Until then, I'll be an admirer of this part of your skill-set instead of a real follower.

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 2

Well even if it was to make your modelling easier it was also very helpful for the photo in assisting to see the structure!

As for the staples being perfectly straight... I only noticed when going back for a closer look, at a macro photo, with unpainted shiny staples against a black background without a coach body above. If someone spots them on the finished, painted model, especially at normal viewing distance I wouldn't believe they hadn't read it here first!

I like the effect you're building up with your grab handles. Given my extremely slow modelling rate, I just don't have the patience at the moment. Maybe once NE is up and running and I'm backdating stock. Until then, I'll be an admirer of this part of your skill-set instead of a real follower.

Kind regards, Neil

I'm in a similar position, Neil. I can admire Sasquatch's work immensely - even feel inclined to purchase something and have a go - but it would bog me down indefinitely, and worse, without Sasquatch's  experience, make a right (rhymes with pass if you are posh) of things. So, no. Worship and adore, but stick to the reasonably achievable. ;)

Hal

• Like 2

Happy New Year Shaun. Have enjoyed catching up on your thread this morning and glad to hear your hand may be mending itself. I still think those photographs with the low sun angle are some of the best around. Looking forward to some more great photographs featuring your new panelled stock which is coming together nicely.

Cheers John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A happy new year John.

A Happy New Year to all fellow RMwebers in fact!

This is about as far as I've got with the sides, having spent most of the time cleaning up the side moldings. I dug out the rail match carmine too. It has a nice glossy shine to it which should enhance this model quite well.

post-8964-0-49460800-1420562590.jpg

post-8964-0-31157600-1420562642.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Time for another crop of layout pictures me feels!

J39 64257 waits with empty stock in the up siding.

post-8964-0-47620400-1421014088_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-48472100-1421014114_thumb.jpg

The new B1. Mrs. S's.  got me for Xmas on banking duty!

post-8964-0-09508200-1421014233_thumb.jpg

The older Bachmann B1 "Mayflower". I recently serviced this loco and picked out many details with paint such as the cylinder heads in silver, the sand box fillers and handrails in green, the  electric lamps in brass and the brake handles in red!

Mayflower is visiting and heading north for Grosmont light engine.

post-8964-0-03306600-1421014463_thumb.jpg

One for Hal.  A1 North British in 50s express blue about to set off for Pickering with the Teak rake. 

This engine needs the same treatment as B1 1306.

post-8964-0-37383900-1421014530_thumb.jpg

Nice shot of my favorite Hornby coach behind A1 "North British".

post-8964-0-02747100-1421014618_thumb.jpg

Two more of LNER built stock in the station.

post-8964-0-38857800-1421015394.jpg

post-8964-0-52114600-1421015415_thumb.jpg

Edit: missed one!

post-8964-0-04668000-1421015600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 12

attachicon.gifDSCF5111.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5129.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5130.JPG

The older Bachmann B1 "Mayflower". I recently serviced this loco and picked out many details with paint such as the cylinder heads in silver, the lubricators and handrails in green, the  electric lamps in brass and the brake handles in red!

attachicon.gifDSCF5128.JPG

One for Hal.  A1 North British in 50s express blue about to set off for Pickering with the Teak rake. 

attachicon.gifDSCF5127.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5126.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5121.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5124.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5113.JPG

Wonderful! - and thanks for the tag, as they say in Facebook circles. Even Gilbert of Peterborough North has taken to calling Hal 'o the wynd, me!

I'm rather liking the avatar-personalisation. :D

I'm going to boast and say I have two Hornby B1s. They're so slow you can shunt with them as though they were Class 25s. Exquisite!

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 1

Morning Shaun, Love those low level pics and the J39 was one of my favourite, I wish Bachmann would re do it with a DCC Chassis, heres a pic of the one that I had, I didn't want to do the DCC conversion so I sold it.

post-9335-0-68235900-1421060765_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Morning Shaun, Love those low level pics and the J39 was one of my favourite, I wish Bachmann would re do it with a DCC Chassis, heres a pic of the one that I had, I didn't want to do the DCC conversion so I sold it.

attachicon.gifDSCF1034.jpg

I couldn't agree more, Andy. I've still got two that I run on DC. I spend more time cleaning the axles than anything else!

BTW. Is that loco weathered by washes rather than the more dense methods often used today? I ask because I actually prefer it. Locos don't get dirty all in one go.

Hal

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice weathering job on 64838 Bodge!

64257 has had a second lubricator added and a respray. It's brand new and never been run! I need to put on some warm cloathes and find an hour to run her in. Good opportunity to repaint that viaduct maybe.  

The J39s are a favorite of mine, those along with J15s, J21s, and J36s. All hum drum work a day locos but in my opinion they represent just how a steam engine should look!  

J39s in particular which could be found working everything from shunting to expresses! No eastern region layout should be without at least a couple!

Hal,

Have you tried using a wash of thinners mixed with weathering powders. I use the stuff collected in the bottom of the box used to weather other stock over!

I started on the CCT sides last night pictures shortly.

• Like 1

That water 

attachicon.gifDSCF5111.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5129.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5130.JPG

The older Bachmann B1 "Mayflower". I recently serviced this loco and picked out many details with paint such as the cylinder heads in silver, the sand box fillers and handrails in green, the  electric lamps in brass and the brake handles in red!

attachicon.gifDSCF5128.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5127.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5126.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5121.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5124.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF5113.JPG

Really cool attention to detail on the last picture for Goathland Station The water pump you modelled, after I noticed the discrepancy really looks so good. With your range of skills you put so much of the correct detailing in, and the weathering brings it to life in my opinion. Plus cutting and change poses on figures makes them so much more modelling rather than bought in items. A real class act........

shame I won't see you at a show here in the UK any time soon......so I can give you a cuff round the ear........LOL.

• RMweb Premium

The lower sides were measured out on a sheet of .010 styrene. all those rivets were punched (quite quickly I might add) horizontally by taping the fine steel rule to the sheet and punching with a blunt point from the rear. Then vertically by using an offcut as a jig before cutting out! The angle section was done in much the same way but this time I taped the uncut length to the edge of the cutting mat.

The upper planking is laminated behind the lower section.

post-8964-0-81438100-1421085241_thumb.jpg

Here's one lined up against Nick Camplings drawing.

post-8964-0-57361500-1421085309_thumb.jpg

Sasquatch the "Boss Eyed Rivet Count"  (er). 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That water 

Really cool attention to detail on the last picture for Goathland Station The water pump you modelled, after I noticed the discrepancy really looks so good. With your range of skills you put so much of the correct detailing in, and the weathering brings it to life in my opinion. Plus cutting and change poses on figures makes them so much more modelling rather than bought in items. A real class act........

shame I won't see you at a show here in the UK any time soon......so I can give you a cuff round the ear........LOL.

:O .

I wont make myself known then I guess! :secret:

attachicon.gifDSCF1034.jpg

I couldn't agree more, Andy. I've still got two that I run on DC. I spend more time cleaning the axles than anything else!

BTW. Is that loco weathered by washes rather than the more dense methods often used today? I ask because I actually prefer it. Locos don't get dirty all in one go.

Hal

Hi Hal, its a mix of Dry weathering powders, and wet powders used as a wash.

• Like 2

The lower sides were measured out on a sheet of .010 styrene. all those rivets were punched (quite quickly I might add) horizontally by taping the fine steel rule to the sheet and punching with a blunt point from the rear. Then vertically by using an offcut as a jig before cutting out! The angle section was done in much the same way but this time I taped the uncut length to the edge of the cutting mat.

Sasquatch the "Boss Eyed Rivet Count"  (er). 

Superb job on the rivets!

:O .

I wont make myself known then I guess! :secret:

LOL......you know you and Mrs Sasquatch have an open invitation to come and stay should you ever return 'home' and have the time to drop in. I promise not to cuff you.....have fast do you run? My girl (dobermans) would willing offer you some exercise.......feeding them biscuits is sneaky and frowned upon except by the two dogs in question who will then badger you incessantly for attention LOL.

I have found most dogs responding to 'baby talk' although admit that this has not stopped me getting bitten when i was a child on several occasions.......however eve rsince i was a kid if i was missing my dad just found the closest dog.....and then usually had located me. I love dogs, and having seen yours I am sure you love yours too.

Kara our larger black one really enjoys David Todds visits cos she gets extra long walks.

Anyway despite the threat....you are probably safe.................... :tease:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jaz

Not being a stranger to a cuff around the ear, (just mind your wrist)  I don't think I'd care too much to remain incognito  and miss the chance of a good chat!

Yes I love dogs (can't you tell) and am quite good with them. My last two, a boxer and a border collie were very well trained. I could walk them without leashes and get them to sit, wait and come relay style all the way up the road!

Bobo and Gwen are still puppies but are learning fast. Bobo is a great Frisbee dog,  he'll go find his Frisbee when told to and can jump a good 6 feet to snatch one from the air. 

My dogs teach me new tricks too. When we go for a W A L K. I grab a handful of dog treats and put them in my right coat pocket. They watch me do this. When I need their attention I'll put my hand in said pocket and oila! Both in sitting position waiting for commands. Bobo will also pester me incessantly all day with tennis balls, Frisbees and all manner of toys. It can be unnerving!    

Squatch with a thick ear!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While sitting here enjoying a large slice of Mrs. Sasquatches bacon broccoli quiche I thought I'd take the chance to pop up a few pictures I grabbed quickly while the sun was on the layout about 3 this afternoon.

I was shunting with the new engine. This is what I did with the pannier tank body left over from the J50 project. The boiler belly is still brunwick green!

post-8964-0-72758000-1421213450_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-94267400-1421213468_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-74683200-1421213488_thumb.jpg

The next one shows  (at risk of a cuff around the other ear) Goathlands Water facilities......

post-8964-0-18788300-1421213904_thumb.jpg

And.......... a few pics. of the last twin set I built. I have enhanced the colour a tad. The orange Tan humbrol used to make was perfect for finishing off the teak effect with a glossy wash. Alas they have changed the colour much to my disappointment!

post-8964-0-12146700-1421213923_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-86233100-1421213936_thumb.jpg

A detailed shot showing the sunlight illuminating the interior.

post-8964-0-36548800-1421213950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In an attempt to keep this thread interesting, here's a picture of my work bench.post-8964-0-58466600-1421266025.png

post-8964-0-92673000-1421265374_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-45891100-1421266035.jpgCurrently I'm scratch building the under frame for the  1928 LNER BCK. Fiddly work whereby 1 in 5 parts get scrapped or lost to the carpet monster.post-8964-0-24019600-1421265979.jpg

post-8964-0-78477100-1421265407.jpg

post-8964-0-34668900-1421265565.jpg

There's also a method in my madnesspost-8964-0-58466600-1421266025.png in that keeping a few projects on the go stops me getting bored and when it comes to the spray booth I'll have 5 or 6 items to paint which saves on all that cleaning up.

This shows my method of leveling the bogies. A long Evergreen I beam set against  the back drop of a drawer from the toolbox which done by eye, the same way I level doors in cabinet work!!

post-8964-0-37819200-1421265584.jpg

post-8964-0-52842900-1421266056.png Edit: spelling again!

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7