Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

Sincere apologies mate, simply thick finger syndrome now corrected - put it down to my age! I'll have to start using a pointer on the iPad!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

The thingy-pads can work to one's advantage. I gained two *friends* through a similar mishap. I contacted them, curious as to why they befriended me, and they both excused themselves as Jock has done. LOL True! I can name names! One appears on here from time to time. :)

Hal o' the Poorly

• Like 2

Thread update.

The interiors for the twin set.

Mirrors are punched sticky back aluminium foil, seats with arm rests added from .020x.080" strip. The N gauge prints came from the free posters and signs from Model rail way back! The passengers are 1/70 scale circus crowd!

attachicon.giftwin interiors.JPG

Sections primed and ready for air brushing.

attachicon.gifprimered.JPG

A Parkside SR utility I built last year also ready for crimson! Much detailing as per the normal Sasquatch builds.

attachicon.gifSR utility.JPG

The Cheshire lines Warehouse as promised.

attachicon.gifcheshire lines 2.JPG

DPM modulars with large Slaters lettering and capitals from the scrap-booking section at the local art store.

attachicon.gifcheshire liness 3.JPG

I still need to make the roof which will involve casting 2 different sections 8 times.

attachicon.gifchesire lines 1.JPG

And.......... I also found Avon parks other goods shed it's from the Wills kit with a roof from an American kit!

attachicon.gifavon park goods 3.JPG

attachicon.gifAvon park goods 1.JPGattachicon.gifaven park goods 2.JPG

Grim up north will feature a back drop of quite a few Bashed American model kits.

squatch  

The modelling is great, but I love the open window  :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Squatch.  Just popped in to catch and the Slaters lettering has just reminded me I need to put a help question on Camel Quay if there are 4mm length union jack flags out there (to be waved - not flown from a flag pole.)

Great stuff.  I do love old mills and factories.  A lot of the ones I grew up with were Art Deco.  Shame the work wasn't as interesting as the buildings.

:jester:

Anyway, good luck with the windows and yes, I have a pot of "lead" paint.  It may have come from a wargamers shop - if that helps.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sasquatch has been in hibernation for a couple of weeks while our internet service has been slow. Truth is I seem to have slowed down to a stop on all fronts for some reason. Suffering a total lack of energy.

I have however serviced about 30-40 locomotives and did some spring cleaning of all the modeling paraphernalia. It's amazing how many little odds and sods fall off and get stashed in the Tupperware marked lost bits, mislaid items and the tray of  supposed scrap!

Today things are back up to speed and some new batteries have been acquired for the camera so to celebrate I took a few quick snaps of trains.

I have tampered with these images to create some sky effects and a tool called Picasa3 which has a 60s ish application.

Class 4 and 5 power passing on the viaduct.

post-8964-0-86443800-1423613706_thumb.jpg

Bachmann's Patriot class can pull 20 vans over the summit on the layout with ease.

post-8964-0-68836900-1423613730_thumb.jpg

Very clean J39 No.1974, waits with a train load of scrap for A4 No. 4482 Golden Eagle with a 6 coach Thompson and Gresley rake.

post-8964-0-68672200-1423613749_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-15686800-1423613766_thumb.jpg

The peculiar natural light here has created some stormy day atmosphere.

O4 No.6190 has been doing a spot of shunting. A job which suits it quite well.

post-8964-0-95721200-1423613802_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-78811600-1423613784_thumb.jpg     

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Truth is I seem to have slowed down to a stop on all fronts for some reason. ...

I have however serviced about 30-40 locomotives and did some spring cleaning of all the modeling paraphernalia.

If that's stopping on all fronts then I need to stop too!

Great pictures... as always. you should stop more often :)

• Like 2

Love the natural light in the pictures Shaun, it really seems to add to the realism! By the way, how is the hand problem - have you seen any improvement after your version of 'resting'. As Neil said, perhaps we should all try it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

If that's stopping on all fronts then I need to stop too!

Great pictures... as always. you should stop more often :)

Love the natural light in the pictures Shaun, it really seems to add to the realism! By the way, how is the hand problem - have you seen any improvement after your version of 'resting'. As Neil said, perhaps we should all try it!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks chaps! I took a break from modeling!!! 

However I got back into the swing of things yesterday evening after my eyesight recovered from yesterdays eye exam and added about 100 or so bits to the under frame of the LNER CCT.

post-8964-0-34940800-1423683723_thumb.jpg

20 brackets from plastic strip all with 2 rivets punched out!! Madness.

The brake shoes were found in the scrap boxes, Ian Kirk 12' wagon UFs. 

post-8964-0-54607500-1423683740.jpg

Nice that you ask about my hand Jock, that's quite humbling when I think of your problems!! Some days there's some pain and other days the trouble with the finger is non existent!

Keeping the  daily usage to a minimum is the trick. This involves over estimating the time on my customers cabinet jobs. Hush hush.   

A couple more of those moody natural light pics.

Odd view of the station   

post-8964-0-13001800-1423684121_thumb.jpg

J39 No.1974. Looking all plush in her lined out black livery. 

post-8964-0-81078600-1423684242_thumb.jpg

Lastly the 04 about to get rained on first thing in the morning.

post-8964-0-65976700-1423684798_thumb.jpg

Edited: to adjust the size of the last picture (I needed to log out in order to achieve this)

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 15

Delightful as ever!. I am so looking forward to when/if I have something worth photographing. :jealous smiley: 

Bloody awful night with the bladder playing up. I trust my break will reap some benefit. But that's me being shellfish(typo) as usual. Hmm, must be something fishy about the holiday.

Back on topic. The trouble with your work is that your admirers run out of superlatives. For all our sakes I recommend you become less good.  :jester:

Tony. (I don't think therefore I am not)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Love the shots of the vans lined up on the layout - looking great as always, Shaun.

Thanks Clay.

I put a lot of work into those vans. They look great behind any loco even if they're not all from the same era! 

Nice to have a post show up on my 'Topics I Follow' list Shaun. How is your health at the moment? Is there any progress planned on the extension any time soon? I often look into the thread just for inspiration!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jock.

Am doing very well thanks. Just too busy for modeling time but it's nice to be busy.

I had to make some adjustments to the extension I built and repair some serious damage caused by storing it in the back of my barn.

Next thing on the agenda is to move the side door to the railway building and make 4 new garage doors. I've had to put this off over the winter.

Now we have some warmer days and the clock has sprang forward, progress could be swift. I've a whole box full of little detailing kits for Goathland, the track and wood to start Queensbury and the rail for the 23' passing loops that will go behind Goathland. Trouble is there's also a veg garden to plant, fences to be built, a roof to be repaired and 4 rooms in our house to remodel!

Time for another cuppa so the caffeine kicks in to get the next task done.

Regards Shaun.     

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

LNER J15 from Hornby arrived last week. Very nice model of one of my favorite prototypes. Hornby have produced an excellent model. All it needs is a crew and a lamp or two.

post-8964-0-64650800-1425955203_thumb.jpg

I scratched around in a few boxes yesterday evening which produced a hand full of various figures. The usual Dapol bunch and a couple of Hornby and Bachman individuals. So for a bit of variety I decapitated them and swapped their heads over. One had his sledge hammer prized away and replaced with a shovel (which has since fallen off), one has lost his flag and with the new bonce looks decidedly BR corporate era.

A coat of humbrol 96, for the uniforms and details from acrylics. The bases have been removed with a Stanley knife and tacky glue applied to their feet. All ready for hard graft on the latest additions to my loco fleet. Maybe I should try a new fireman in the BR standard mogul to see if it'll haul four up the gradients!!! 

post-8964-0-37259200-1425955227.jpg

And...... here's a pic I think I missed before...  

post-8964-0-17315600-1425955308_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Save the J50! Nice pictures as always squatch, the J11 looks all the better for the weathering. The figures look really good as well. Will you be adding he tarpaulin rail to the J15?

Hi Will,

The J15 might have to wait, it always feels like ruining a brand new product does weathering a loco. I'm never sure if I'm devaluing them too much. In the case of the J15 with its £100+ price tag and the fact that I never thought I'd see the day a RTR version would grace the shelves, I find it even harder to do. No doubt the day will come as with the J11 when confidence rules and I can't take the shiny finish any longer.

Two good models have already been butchered to produce the J50 and seeing as it represents a younger engine in my fleet perhaps a light weathering!

Watch this space.

Braved the cold with the camera and tripod for some images of J classes on the layout.

Please feel free to click on the images to bring them alive.

J15 with early morning passenger stops at Goathland.

post-8964-0-35716600-1426010700_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-14406600-1426010681_thumb.jpg

J11 makes easy work of the gradient with filthy kit built cattle stock. 

post-8964-0-84433100-1426010812_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-20961100-1426010786_thumb.jpg

Passing J39 No1996, shunted into the siding with a ballast train.  

Nice comparison with a weathering job I did years before!

post-8964-0-46038400-1426011012_thumb.jpg

Passing J50 heading the other way light engine.

post-8964-0-33047300-1426011033_thumb.jpg

For some reason the small tank has been held at the outer home. Probably because of track maintenance further down the line.

post-8964-0-53143000-1426011225_thumb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these,

Squatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks  Lee.  There's a few things planned that might interest you including a derelict mill. A suitable candidate is Ivy Bank Mill in Haworth, next to the KWVR line.

I'm thinking of attempting the build a cost of $1. Incredible as it sounds, foam board can be brought for that price at the Dollar Store so scribing will be the chosen method and the wooden beams will be fashioned from thin off cuts of alder ripped down in my table saw.

Here's the prototype...

post-8964-0-47130000-1426911648.jpg

There's more pictures here  on Andy Marland's website.

Not much modeling this week except for a few more weathering jobs...

post-8964-0-63865500-1426913532.jpgpost-8964-0-76274800-1426913559.jpg

post-8964-0-20229400-1426913547.jpgpost-8964-0-62559300-1426913614.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

...and some more images of the layout.

Push pull trailer from the Kirk kit with much detailing. This model was intended for Avon Park but will eventually work the Bradford-Queensbury-Miltowne-Queensbury -Bradford route on Grim Up North. It's seen here parked up in Goathlands sidings having been back and forth a few times coupled to a N2.

Edit: To add please click on these images to get the full impact.

post-8964-0-44840400-1426913848_thumb.jpg

Someone's working late at the office.
post-8964-0-51057600-1426913873_thumb.jpg

Lastly an unusual shot of the goods yard with Ivatt class 4 "Flying pig" stationary on the plate girder bridge.
post-8964-0-94433600-1426913861_thumb.jpg

Squatch, with another tray of stock to weather and another bottle of IPA fresh from the fridge :pardon:

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

Morning Shaun, That Mill looks a beast, and will be an impressive structure when completed, also love the weathering Mate, really nice work as usual.

All the best from the BETTER side of the Pond, ahhahah.