Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Please for give my input on this thread of late. Goathland has been put into storage along with Dunster my other layout due to a heavy work load.

It could be time to talk about the stock.

My intention is to run trains from two eras, the LNER days and the present. Preserved lines make great models as you can really run what ever you like.

Locos;   in preservation this could include anything from Hogwarts Castle, Tornado, Green Arrow to almost any diesel. During  later LNER days a mix of ex North Eastern and smaller Gresley types.

Coaches;   BR mk.1s, the Gresley teak rake,  a pullman train for the present. LNER coaches running at present include kit built Gresley non corridor  sets and Hornby Gresleys. Maybe some North Eastern stock should be added but there are no kits on the market.

Goods;  

Here is a list of goods trains so far for LNER period;

Short rake of large hoppers,

LNER fitted vans,

Rake of unfitted stock,

Various bolsters and plate wagons,Vans for pigeon and parcels,

Privite owner coal wagons,but none from the area!

Plenty of brake vans including NE ballast brake.

....and the fish train (under construction).

Also I have BR stock vans,16,21&24T minerals,oil tanks etc. BR parcels waiting to be built.

And then there's the odd piece of stock I have been accumulating which appears in all the photos of the present day ie; st.Ival milk tank, LMS double bolster,pipe gunpowder etc. I`ve bid on the Bachmann united molasses tank on ebay several times but they fetch too high a price.

So stock from 3 eras of which ex North Eastern Railway is the most costly or time consuming to build. (I`m on a budget these days).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Goathland looking good, VERY good.

Been there several times, going again soon, not too far, cross the Humber just up the road, up to Pickering,  up through 'Heartbeat' country, then dip down into Goathland - wonderfull !

Allan.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Goathland looking good, VERY good.

Been there several times, going again soon, not too far, cross the Humber just up the road, up to Pickering,  up through 'Heartbeat' country, then dip down into Goathland - wonderfull !

Allan.

Have fun Allan! One of RMwebs members lives in the station building, the imfamous Boris! Check him out I'll bet he gives you VIP access etc.

• RMweb Premium

My son is coming for the summer and I have plans to give Goathland a detail upgrade as a project with him. This will inlcude repaniting of structures, new (working) signals,detail additions such as cable trunking & piont rodding, some scenic detailing and back scene. I also want to install 2 more points off scene and my uncoupling system. 

Then as my son is cool with vids n tube etc we hope to bring you some short films.

• Like 2

I cannot believe I haven't seen this before - this is simply truly magnificent modelling on the highest scale. I am absolutely in love with this layout and it's given me several ideas about my revamp. I hope you'll be showing progress with the point rodding as it's an area I'm interested on seeing how it's done. I have no idea where to even start in that respect,

Cheers

Lee

• RMweb Premium

Here is the first repaint.

post-8964-0-28404800-1371668158_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-21018800-1371668201_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-55831600-1371668220_thumb.jpg

The abbey section which covers the tunnel

post-8964-0-11442300-1371669548_thumb.jpg

And the tunnel made from insulation sheet, don`t ask how. 

post-8964-0-76245200-1371669659_thumb.jpgpost-8964-0-19868600-1371669668.jpg

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5

Lee, wills have just released two kits! 

I saw them - the Rodding and the Extension Kit - the last time I called in at the model shop. From within the packaging they look very fine indeed - but I bet there's no instructions :) I have no idea how the prototype works - that's what I'm getting at.

I'd really like, at some point, to install rodding from my 'box to the set of points it will operate, but it'd be good to see how it should run first.

more lovely photos -it's absolutely inspirational.

Also - thanks for the point rodding link. I was sure I'd searched point rodding before, but never seen that link before. It would stand to reason that there would be something on here about it.

I'm still very uncertain as to where all the fiddly bits go, so like Larry, I'll probably have some rods emerging from the box and then have the majority hidden under runner boards...

Sasquatch, full marks for your research on Goathland, the hill side etc. What really catches my eye is the Whitby? ruined Abbey. Did you make this from scratch? I looked back wards and forwards you refer to wills kits. Even with the resin buildings you have done some marvellous work, love the clever adaptions. As a serious Goathland fan myself  I can realise just how much work has been put into setting the sceen so well. If you added the abbey is it because your a Heartbeat fan too? Love Hegrid. Hey fools may never differ, but great minds do think alike ;) You do know the camping coaches are due to be released don't you???? We have ours pre ordered.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clay, It's hard to tell who's layout is who's some times! The Ford anglia is about as Harry Potter I went after discovering the station is famous with all the North Eastern buffs and   the preservationists!!

Frizinghall models do the sleeping coaches, they are on pre order.

Love the Linka model, do you rent the moulds ;p

My Ford Anglia is in a whomping willow which I made myself

9115519571_5970336a3f_c.jpg

and OMG two great Goathlands, and I have seen the Hogwarts absolutely fantastic. ;)

Thanks for your comment about Hogwarts, Jaz. My modules are like diorama vignettes compared to S'quatch's layout. The scope and level of effort in doing portable 4 foot by 2 foot pass-through modules is far less than what S'quatch has achieved.  I wish I had his talent and wherewithal. Like dioramas, modules make for good single-scene photos though, so here are a couple more shots of my castle in context with my Station.

shipit2b_zps36e54acf.jpg

post-1_zpse9a88300.jpg

shipit_zpsa9ed6ef8.jpg

BTW, Arboretum Valley is beautiful!

...and I ordered the pointing & rodding kit for my station.

Edited by cgraham
  • Like 3

Fantastic.

Your use of color in depicting flowering plants is brilliant, and I am resolved to take a lesson for my modules. The mix of landscaping foliage with structure realism and all your thoughtul details bind the layout seamlessly into a totally convincing world. I would love to see your layout in operation. Do you have any Youtube links to share?

-Clay

My topic:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66780-made-by-magic-the-hp-railway/

Edited by cgraham

I was looking at post 61, I think if you looked at the second picture and either cut the bit with the end of the model, or 'photoshopped' the edge, you could mistake that for the real thing, the angle is really good.

• RMweb Premium

This is Mrs. Sasquatch, ahem  (SWMBO).

These are videos from the 2011 Medford Model Railroad Show.

Mr. Sasquatch got the boards done one month prior to show. This was a challenge for me to do his scenery. Will be honest I was a bit moody at times. :angry:  Got most of it done on my days off from work. Luckily I have four days off!

with Mr. Sasquatch! grrruuuff xo

Thanks for all your lovely scenery comments. This is my second layout attempt. Plenty of trial and error & more to learn as this will continue to grow into my husbands dream layout.

Mrs. Sasquatch

Edit: Thanks to Steamtrainfan1992 for taking the time to put these videos on Youtube and to Mrs. Sasquatch for finding them and posting here.

Sasquatch.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 5