Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

What with all the baking, shopping and tree hunting little time for modeling has been acquired. There is however a couple of familiar shaped parcels under the tree.

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

HAPPY MODELING.

Squatch.

• Like 7

What with all the baking, shopping and tree hunting little time for modeling has been acquired. There is however a couple of familiar shaped parcels under the tree.

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL.

HAPPY MODELING.

Squatch.

Hi Mate, and the same to you and all your Family, (including the Dogs) hahha

Have a good 2017

• RMweb Premium

A very Happy New Year to you all.

Things have been happening here in the warehouse. Yesterday I got the heaters going and tidied the place up. Then the sound system went in.  It is amazing what a few old cassette tapes can do for one's mojo.

A water tender has been hashed up from a ratio kit. This is to stand on the siding at Queensbury.

post-8964-0-78934900-1483308109_thumb.jpg

I also built a hut from Wills brick and slate sheet scraps and messed about with some HO benches.

post-8964-0-69471800-1483308130.jpg

post-8964-0-57334900-1483308149.jpg

While I was running in a couple of this years Christmas prezzies I actually did a bit of modeling on Goathland station. The railings on the ramp and steps. Some of the fencing around this area needed reaffixing too and I also touched up the red paintwork. The baseboard edges have been cleaned up and painted with the same bargain paint used on the Queensbury boards.

post-8964-0-28048800-1483308231_thumb.jpg

Having hatched a plan on how to replace the controllers and redo the control panel I aim to cross this off my to-do list next.

The to-do list has about 30 jobs that need doing on Goathland before I move on to Queensbury.

The list includes...

Working signals.

Uncoupling system.

Completing the scenic on the extension.

A back scene.

Repainting the tunnel and viaduct.

&  the long hidden siding down the back.

I also want to redo some of the tired trees and replace the people with better painted examples.

Lots to do.

Some pictures of the latest arrivals...

post-8964-0-11005900-1483308170_thumb.jpg

post-8964-0-59129500-1483308192_thumb.jpg

Hornbys new B12. The detail and quality of this train is stunning! The loose front pony needed a little attention otherwise she runs like a graceful dream. 

post-8964-0-61952600-1483308252_thumb.jpg

Squatch

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Firstly a big Thank you for all the Greetings. Apologies if I haven't visited your threads to return them Just have very slow internet at present.

So you may be aware of the storms we've been hit with on the west coast.

post-8964-0-73800100-1483586688_thumb.jpg

Pretty isn't it. Trouble is, it brings down power lines which has left us without electricity for 18 hours. Luckily we have a nice wood burning stove so there's been plenty of tea and crumpets on the go.

Rather than get bored I dug out all my signal stuff and got to work. Mostly by gas lantern!

Having built the up starter bracket signal for Goathland, I proceeded  with the other signals which will adorn the middle base board section.

The three ground shunt signals are under construction and are awaiting paint.

post-8964-0-74539700-1483586233_thumb.jpg

Next I built the down siding starter which stands behind the road bridge.

Pretty simple stuff, just two styrene angle sections mitered together for the post with drilled out Ratio parts, a finial turned in the hand drill with an Atlas track pin inserted from below.

Then I started on the junction outer home post by firstly making a drawing by scaling a picture down.

The lenses are water based varnish mixed with cake dye.

post-8964-0-05403200-1483586542_thumb.jpg

This one posses a bit of a problem in that it has 3 arms which required some thought on how to animate them.

Having used the Ratio signal control to great effect on Dunster I proceeded to build a double stack mechanism to the same spec. from scratch. 

post-8964-0-59170500-1483586884_thumb.jpg

I have also done much work on the next three starter posts for the station board. 

post-8964-0-75320900-1483586338_thumb.jpg

I used lamps and lenses from one of the kits from the Ratio eBay haul along with three signal control sets, drilling and filing out the GWR parts so that they look like NER gubbins.

More work this evening I hope.

Squatch

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work there Shaun, especially by gas lamp! :)

I like your homemade version of the mechanism, looks great.

Towards the end of last year I bought some micro-servos, and a special servo controller which includes programmable signal bounce. I haven't had chance to play with it all yet, but I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Al.

G'day Gents

Lucky you, to be without power for 18hrs, we had a storm go through S Aust last Tuesday, bringing down power lines etc. we had no power for 58 hrs, out came all the camping gear...........

manna

• RMweb Premium

The servos worked out too expensive, running into 100s of dollars. So I stuck with the manual idea Al.  

There will be 16plus on my West somerset layout  

11 on Queensbury

11 on Goathland

About a dozen on Bradford

and a forest on the mill town!

Kind of adds up!

Would not want to be in a tent in the Australian summer Mana mate. It's bad enough here when the air conditioning unit can't cope when it gets up in the 100s!!

Anyway I done lots of work on the signals since my last post. Including building 4 posts, the brackets were a real challenge.

post-8964-0-26384300-1483685275.jpg

post-8964-0-46708000-1483685292.jpg

post-8964-0-53327200-1483685310.jpg

More tomorrow!

Squatch.

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, have you got a copy of this book yet? A fair bit later than the period you are modelling but full of colour photos of the section of the Queensbury lines you are modelling

post-9707-0-35230500-1483700781_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Shaun, have you got a copy of this book yet? A fair bit later than the period you are modelling but full of colour photos of the section of the Queensbury lines you are modelling

attachicon.gifIMG_4578.JPG

Hi Jason.

The answer would be no! I don't very often buy books from the UK because the shipping rates usually cost more than the books. Next time I come over (not in the foreseeable future) a visit to a few good book shops is on my agenda. No work is being done on the layout right now as it's far too cold out there. -13C to be exact!

If the weather doesn't thaw out there's plenty of GNR somersault signals to be getting on with.

Mrs. S. got me a copy of Tatlow's LNER wagons vol. 4B for Christmas however. So I feel a foray into kit bashing and stock building coming on. The new Parkside "Toad E" for a start.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Superb modelling on the Signals Shaun, really nice workmanship.

Thanks mate.The sun looks like it might come out for a couple of hours so I might be able to get some white primer on them in order to proceed!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I showed my nephew the photo of your shed and told him it was Santa's toy factory.  He wants to come and visit. 

Don't panic though - I have pointed out the logistical problems involved.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I showed my nephew the photo of your shed and told him it was Santa's toy factory.  He wants to come and visit. 

Don't panic though - I have pointed out the logistical problems involved.

That put a smile on my face first thing Bogie.  

I wonder if you could pass these of as reindeer?

post-8964-0-61083300-1483796232.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No apologies for my absence this week, it's been the worst weather I've seen since the south coast hurricane of 1987! 

On Monday evening after we came out of the cinema as it started to snow.  After a white knuckle ride on Interstate 5 we were lucky to get home.

The weight of the snow brought down many trees and large branches during the night which in turn have brought down power lines and cell phone towers. Talk about living off the grid. It looks like a war zone here.

I've had to shovel tones of snow with no sleep. The poor people 3 doors up have had a huge oak come down on their house.

We have lost many trees and will be good for fire wood for a good few winters.

I'll put up some pictures of the devastation tomorrow if I find 5 minutes.

Squatch.

edit

P.S. Using the gas lantern to model by in a power cut isn't a good idea due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning!!!  

Edited by Sasquatch

G'day Gents

You need to buy yourself a generator, at least when the lights go out, you won't gas yourself.

When ours went out for 58 hrs, we had the 'Genny' running in 10 minutes, had lights and the TV & DVD, but no heating, a bigger 'Genny' my well be on the cards.

Keep warm.

manna

• Like 1